Need advice gearing up for SB Pro PE

Claw Hammer

You're in luck in that I'm a computer hardware geek, thus enabling me to get this ready on short notice. Given your requirements, a hp dv7 series, a CyberPower Xplorer X7-7500 or X5-5900, or a Dell Studio 15 comes to mind. Check one of those out, but make sure you order them with dedicated graphics, not the integrated Intel crap that's default on at least one of them.

I'll vouch for Cyberpower Pcs... good stuff... I own one.

Thanks for all your input, virtual tankers!

Well, after looking at all your suggestions and advice, this is what I ultimately decided was a pretty good deal for my family and me. Remember although Steel Beasts Pro PE is my first priority, my family has other considerations. So, even though I would love to build a kick arse custom gaming desktop PC, the laptop will suit our needs better. However, if anyone sees any major troubles with running SB Pro PE on this system, please point it out to me so that I may try to fix the problem ASAP. I have already placed the order, but may be able to alter the order if need be.

· NOTEBOOK: CyberPower X7 (NB-315-101) Notebook 17" WXGA 1440x900 Pixel w/ DDR2/667 Support

· CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Mobile T8300 Dual-Core Processor @ 2.40GHz 800FSB 3MB L2 Cache 64-bit

· HDD: 250GB 5400RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE

· MOTHERBOARD: Intel® I965PM + ICH8M Chipset LGA775 16X PCI-E Platform Mainboard

· MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

· NB_LCD: 17" WXGA TFT Display 1440x900 Pixels

· OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

· SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

· CD: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE

· SPEAKERS: BUILT-IN STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM

· USB: 4 x USB2.0 Port Connectors

· VIDEO: Built-in NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GS 512MB Video

· BATTERY: 6-cells Li-Ion Battery Pack 4400mAh (nb315101)

Thank you all,

Claw Hammer

Sb has some issues with poorly optimised drivers in Vista (particularly under Vista 64).

This doesn't affect all combinations of driver and video hardware, but it is apparently a significant problem for some.

This is possibly an issue with driver immaturity under Vista and Vista64. I suggest looking at the thread on driver versions in the support forum.

I dearly hope not!Remember that SBpro was released before Vista(i think)so it should run on Xp without a hitch.I have seen on various game forums(or is it Fora?) that Vista causes loads of compatability issues with a lot of games/sims where as XP,while not 100% has had most of them ironed out.Also Vista does use up a lot of RAM when compared to XP.Then of course there is the running problem of MS being able to fiddle about with various drivers on your system if then feel like it.(i ll try and find the post regarding this alarming thing)

• Members

While I'm not a fan of Vista, the question is (and we will probably never know) whether the XP drivers for it (provided that XP actually is still available for it) are of better quality since it was apparently designed with Vista in mind.

Notice that you will have to download the 64 bit version of DirectX 9.0c (latest version), and of the CodeMeter runtime software which you need to install after the installation of SB Pro PE.

A last advice - if you can, upgrade to 4 GByte RAM. Since you will get the 64 bit version of Vista and given the rock bottom prices for RAM these days you won't regret going for more while you can. My own Vista experience says that it runs well with 2 GByte, but it is the lower end of useful RAM amount, and future application demand for RAM will raise rather than decline.

While I'm not a fan of Vista, the question is (and we will probably never know) whether the XP drivers for it (provided that XP actually is still available for it) are of better quality since it was apparently designed with Vista in mind.

Notice that you will have to download the 64 bit version of DirectX 9.0c (latest version), and of the CodeMeter runtime software which you need to install after the installation of SB Pro PE.

A last advice - if you can, upgrade to 4 GByte RAM. Since you will get the 64 bit version of Vista and given the rock bottom prices for RAM these days you won't regret going for more while you can. My own Vista experience says that it runs well with 2 GByte, but it is the lower end of useful RAM amount, and future application demand for RAM will raise rather than decline.

:shocked: Oh no! I just got off the phone with them and changed it to Windows XP... Should I still try to get the the 4 GB RAM? they want $100.00 more for that upgrade. Ssnake, should I stick with the WindowsXP or ask for Vista with that 4 GB RAM? I know you are the man to ask! Thanks!

Ssnake... sorry I doubted you even for a second. After all, if anyone knows what they are talking about it is you. I just called them back and changed my order for the upgrade to :

4GB (2x2GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

If will maximize the game performance in the least, it will be worth the $100.00. After all, the game itself is a quality investment. I might as well try to get as much out of it as I can.

I think an upgrade to better specs on a PC is rarely a bad thing. So, there are no worries about that. If I find that I do decide to change over to Windows Vista in the future after giving Win XP a try, at least I will have the 4 GB which you recommended for SB in Vista. However, if I understand correctly, I have not set my self up for failure with regard to SB Pro PE in the changes that I made and the system that I ordered?

I might have to wait another payday to get the simulation. But, I have waited this long to join in the fun, a little while more won't kill me. Thank you Ssnake and everyone for the advice!

• 1 month later...

I’ve been out of SB far too long. Rusty… However, the game has met all expectations and more. It runs great; I’ve had no issues. I’ve been practicing offline a little and got online today to try MP.

I ran into Irish Hussar and he walked me through game and TS set-up, and a bit of co-op play. Thank you Irish! Sorry I had to cut the session short. You helped tremendously! A more excellent guide for a MP newb won’t be found in any online community. Folks like Irish make SB MP second to none!

Claw Hammer