Scenario problems

RedWardancer

This is a personal project I have been working on for a month or five.  Things were going just fine until the 4.161 update.  Now it runs very scratchy with frame jumping and so on.  Ran mission debugger, cut out units, reloaded the map, nothing has solved this to date.  No other scenario of equal size gives me this much trouble.  Need help with this.

Ukraine_vs_Russia,_NE_sector_(1)sce.sce

Even after clearing the map of units and graphics on both sides and then loading the default blank map at the smallest size, it still freezes in the 3D view (attached scenario.) You don't even need to run the scenario, just viewing the 3D world in the editor or planning is enough.

test.7z

Edited by Rotareneg

26 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Does reducing the terrain cache size help?

(IOW, if you load the scenario and you keep an eye on memory usage in the task manager, do you ever come close to the limit of available RAM?)

On a small blank map with no units or details at all, I dont expect thats the issue...

• Moderators

Investigation result:

Apparently there are 1,800 vehicle emplacements in the scenario, which are off map, essentially out of bounds so far that you cannot see them from the map view (because the map only zooms out so far, and only allows it to be scrolled so far in any direction).  In the scenario that Rotar streamlined, these are also present there.  So, in general, the issue where is that SB is keep track of 1,800 emplacements, so not necessarily a bug per se regarding the frame rate drop, because its a side effect of the actual problem (the number of emplacements).

The concern would be how 1,800 vehicle emplacements get created in the first place. Do you recall doing anything regarding vehicle emplacements and duplication of them, at any point? It could be that there is a bug there, if somehow emplacements were added to the scenario that you did not actually create.

Do you have a version of the scenario backed up before this happened so that you don't lose any of the work you have done?

21 hours ago, Volcano said:

Investigation result:

Apparently there are 1,800 vehicle emplacements in the scenario, which are off map, essentially out of bounds so far that you cannot see them from the map view (because the map only zooms out so far, and only allows it to be scrolled so far in any direction).  In the scenario that Rotar streamlined, these are also present there.  So, in general, the issue where is that SB is keep track of 1,800 emplacements, so not necessarily a bug per se regarding the frame rate drop, because its a side effect of the actual problem (the number of emplacements).

The concern would be how 1,800 vehicle emplacements get created in the first place. Do you recall doing anything regarding vehicle emplacements and duplication of them, at any point? It could be that there is a bug there, if somehow emplacements were added to the scenario that you did not actually create.

Do you have a version of the scenario backed up before this happened so that you don't lose any of the work you have done?

I placed minefields and concertina wire several times on the map, but removed them due to the minefields returning to full strength after an in-progress game save and decided to simplify it.  I have done nothing outside of the game area at all.  

Here are my backups and original scenarios:

Ukraine_vs_Russia,_NE.sce Ukraine_vs_Russia,_NE_Variant1.sce

• Moderators
On 3/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, RedWardancer said:

I placed minefields and concertina wire several times on the map, but removed them due to the minefields returning to full strength after an in-progress game save and decided to simplify it.  I have done nothing outside of the game area at all.  

Here are my backups and original scenarios:

Ukraine_vs_Russia,_NE.sce 18.08 MB · 2 downloads Ukraine_vs_Russia,_NE_Variant1.sce 18.44 MB · 2 downloads

OK thanks for the info. Sounds like something unintentional happened during the scenario creation. The difficulty would be in figuring out what was done to cause it. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RedWardancer said:

UPDATE:  So far, the choppy play continues on this and only the Ukraine_vs_Russia_NE scenarios.  I tried refresh map, replace map, no success.  I currently have 4.163.  

Well it probably will until you delete all these surplus items:

On 3/11/2020 at 8:08 AM, Volcano said:

Investigation result:

Apparently there are 1,800 vehicle emplacements in the scenario, which are off map, essentially out of bounds so far that you cannot see them from the map view (because the map only zooms out so far, and only allows it to be scrolled so far in any direction).

Or go back to an earlier version that doesn't have them.

Edited by Gibsonm

Ah well, back to the drawing boards.  It's all good.  Long as I can still play the game no matter the scenarios chosen.  Since I did not copyright these, perhaps someone else might take up the reigns and complete them.  Until then, plenty of other scenarios to design and/or play through.  

Creating units is easy, be it individually or by templates.  The real hard work was the conditions, events, and random spawn locations/routes I had made.  For example: each Blue sniper and recon unit that had infiltrated into Red territory had 10 to 15 different starting locations.  Each of the Blue platoons had 12-15 random start locations as well.  With an entire battalion in defense, with national guard units each with random starts, you can see how much effort I had placed into this. 

I personally enjoy more randomness in scenarios/campaigns to avoid predictability.  The tradeoff is the work put into that.  

As mentioned before, it's all good.  No reason to get mad over it.  As of this moment, I'm already sending sabot rounds at foes and drawing up new scenarios.  Like the rest of us, THIS Treadhead is having fun.