4.163 posted

Sean

I still have these on my computer, see screenshot.

1. Are they replaced by the SBMapPackageInstaller ?

2. Are they replaced by the SB Pro Map Package Transfer Manager v.31 ?

3. Do I keep them or do I uninstall them ?

thx !

06FF3D86-4D32-4A68-918A-4E70817CF6F6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Koen said:

1. Are they replaced by the SBMapPackageInstaller ?

2. Are they replaced by the SB Pro Map Package Transfer Manager v.31 ?

3. Do I keep them or do I uninstall them ?

'SB Pro Map Package Transfer Manager v.31' is a replacement for 'SB Map Tools' only, e.g. before installing it,  you need to  uninstall 'Steel Beasts Map Tools v.16' which you have now. Do not uninstall 'Steel Beast  Maps' and 'Steel Beasts Legacy Map Installer'!

• Members
7 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Uninstalling "SBMapToolsSetupV19" still leaves "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools"

Can we manually remove this?

Yes.

These things get left behind if they contain user-modified data. So it's intentional and by design, to prevent data loss.

Sorry I had thought Windows had only half de-installed the software, as I've come to expect.

However, I'm a little confused.

If they are left behind because they contain user-modified data, am I ever going to need that again?

Ah I think I understand - that was a design feature for going from one version to another of the now superseded software?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The uninstallation function in Windows is designed to preserve any file that was not crerated by the installation routine, or modified after the installation. As such it is following established IT principles to prevent data loss whenever possible. We are "using" that with "options.dat", "records.ppf" which, after uninstalling Steel Beasts, are left behind by the uninstaller and which we won't overwrite with a new installation (provided that you don't delete them manually), so that your preferences and your user profile statistics can be carried over to the next version (provided that you upgrade; "downgrading" to anything less than 4.1 wouldn't work with these files (but it will, in the future)).

Anyway, the ProgramData folder leftovers probably contain one configuration file where map servers were defined, possibly on first start of the V19 Map Package Download Manager (unless you remember that you opened the XML file in there to change something), and that's probably why it was still there. But you can delete it. In the future, if you change your settings (by adding servers to the list and their query queue) und upgrade V31 to V33 or later, it might make more sense to preserve them. But for that you'd have to have access to at least one private map server that is not under eSim Games control.