Pro PE Peformance with different drivers

Sean

• Administrators

The purpose of this thread is to collect information on drivers that offer good and bad performance with pro pe. Then we can take whats posted here and sticky it or put it into a wiki entry.

Please include the driver version and card model and if you are happy with its performance in pro pe.

• Moderators

I have noticed that my:

nVidia Geforce 7800 GS

...gets about a 2/3 reduction in frame rates when I upgraded the drivers to v178.24. I am not sure what driver version I had before this, but it was probably a year old and came with the card.

The DX diagnostic "nv4_displ.dll" file version is 6.14.0011.7824.

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

It looks like you have version v175 drivers. For anyone that does not know, you can go to the nvidia website and click on "download drivers" then, on the next page, click on "Beta and Archived Drivers" in the "Other Downloads and Support" section. From there you can download an old archived video driver.

For US users it is this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Anyway, I will try out the v175 drivers now and report back if I have noticed any substantial increase in frame rates in a few weeks. :)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with driver 6.14.11.7813 (17/09/2008)

Windows XP SP3

No problems,

TacBat, I like the idea of a common benchmark scenario it would be interesting to see how we all compare, especially the people with common graphic cards, it would really highlight the difference a driver can make.

Nvidia 6600 AGP 256mb

Bios 5.43.02.72

Forceware 84.21

Driver version 6.14.10.8421

Driver date 09.03.06

Windows XP SP2

P4 single core non-hyperthreading 2.4Ghz

1Gb DDR2

This provides usable framerates with full terrain distances, and minimal ground clutter. (100,100,10) The minimal effect is retained to allow easier recognition of ground type at the vehicle immediate area and motion.

I could probably run with a closer balance, but the AI isn't affected by the obscuration and neither are human crewed tanks at longer ranges, so this is a preferrence I would keep even with a faster card.

I do run in a window, which allows me to reduce the required fill rates if the scene is abnormally complex or AI interactions are larger than the system is comfortable with.

Desktop resolution 1600x1200.

This is a slow and old card, running on obselesent motherboard and processor, but the performance is adequate for most missions.

Same setup as above with driver version 6.14.11.8048 (180.48).

For FPS assessment, I ran the tank range with the Leo 2A4 with all the sliders at max. Frame rates were 57-60 with a rare dip to 52 on two occasions. With the sliders at 0, I got a steady 60 FPS.

This result was consistant for both driver versions, so no issues.

• Administrators

I've been reading about nvidia's drivers in Vista. Apparantly, the track record is horrible. As part of discovery in a M$ lawsuit, they revealed that nvidia drivers caused almost 1/3 of all vista crashes in 2007.

There was even a website where users were talking about filing a class action suit over the drivers quality.

If you are having problems with nvidia drivers and SB Pro PE, then please report them here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html Go to the site and click on "Report a bug with nvidia graphics driver".

• Members

ATi and Windows 2000/Win Sever 2003:

Do not install the combined package of Catalyst driver and Control Center, or hardware acceleration cannot be activated at all. Instead, install just the Catalyst driver, e.g. version 8.12, and SB Pro will perform well.

Thanks to R-Team for this hint!