About further modification of Steel Beasts Pro PE

MegahertzGB

Hello, so I'm new to Steel Beasts and the whole modding scene about it, so do take it easy when I talk about these wild ideas that sound impossible to implement into Steel Beasts. Anyway, I was curious about how far you can modify the game. I do have the understanding that Steel Beasts is difficult to modify any further than skins and sound mods, but I have seen people modify Tanks with new little external gadgets that others said was practically impossible. So with that being said, I'm going to ask if any of these ideas I'm going to suggest are plausible.

- The modification of existing Interiors of vehicles and tanks, and if new interiors could be created

- The modification of vehicle, tank, and infantry animations

- Being able to create and import new models into Steal Beasts ( e.g. buildings, new gear and weapons for infantry, and new vehicles and tanks

Now, I'm not asking anyone to create any of these ideas for me, just asking if I myself can even implement these ideas with what Steel Beasts Pro PE provides. I would be grateful if anyone with knowledge of Steel Beasts' inner workings would provide any useful info regarding to this topic. Thank you 

• Members

No.

Others will elaborate here on the technical details. But what you mentioned was basically playing with Alpha channel magic to render some parts of the original model transparent. But that doesn't mean that the underlying geometry could be changed. (You will also notice that in the EULA we put in restrictions against reverse engineering, if you found a very clever way to replace geometra data ... but if you're THAT good, I'd like to have you as a programmer on the team, "pissing out of the tent rather than into it". ;)

6 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

No.

Others will elaborate here on the technical details. But what you mentioned was basically playing with Alpha channel magic to render some parts of the original model transparent. But that doesn't mean that the underlying geometry could be changed. (You will also notice that in the EULA we put in restrictions against reverse engineering, if you found a very clever way to replace geometra data ... but if you're THAT good, I'd like to have you as a programmer on the team, "pissing out of the tent rather than into it". ;)

Thank you for your input! I'm so glad a eSim member responded. Also, sorry for potentially promoting the violation for your EULA rules. I'd have to admit, my post was pretty ignorant in regards to the subject, so please forgive me, but thank you for responding. I'm just hoping to provide further features for my personal use so I could enjoy aspects in this game that I would like to change (like more animations and new models). but it would be great to be able to share these created features with others. Unfortunately, I'm just a beginner who doesn't have much or any knowledge on how I would go about implementing my ideas. I'm just a dreamer for now. Maybe one day I can help eSim games directly by joining your team when I'm more experienced, but we'll see what happens in the future. Anyway, thank you for your response and I hope the content I can create and share will be valuable. 

• 2 years later...

lol i may be a programmer but not that good of one {nor do i try to break EULAZ) mais, at this moment i had been  wondering what was prohibited, and was was reasonably possible,(public API, or scripts, hooks etc)  and not yet read the EULA, so all useful info. particularly i was interested in buildings.
though unrelated i suppose was also shaders,.. i noticed the engine still uses drecx9,0c.. i assumed due to tis long live, easy translatable to modern VMz layers etc and long support cycle.. i wondering what plans if any to transition away from drectx9.0c too something more close to metal and cross platform like vulkan which has added benefit of scalable on large spectrum hardware specs or demand scope (lower quality at higher speeds, then drecx9.0c. but also able to scale up to complex aspects if desired) would be in the future mix?

far enough, i did not know best protical, and did find this very useful and was not that deep! but yes; i was planning on opening a new thread with my other ideas/ in proper form soon enough :) i was just copelled to reponed when i stumbled upon here! at the usefulness of my question at that moment quesion!

Edited by _zepalz

• Members

Well, with version 5 we're working on a new engine, and of course we want to take as much advantage from new technologies as we can. (Rewriting the existing engine to accommodate new frameworks would have cost at least as much work while getting less performance out of it, so it was no serious alternative (in case you were wondering).)

• Members

I will tell about development once that things are shaping up sufficiently. Besides, I have already posted a number of statements describing some of the design goals and design principles, and I really don't want to go further than that at the moment.

This year, the topic is version 4.3 as it will be released in a few months.

Just in case you weren't aware of it, there's the magic of the search function, like this:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/search/?&q="version 5"&type=forums_topic&author=Ssnake&search_and_or=and