Multiplayer: Infantry Behavior in Buildings

Apocalypse 31

-Multiplayer game

-I designed the scenario

-Someone else hosted

-My scenario editor settings for behavior in buildings for "Guard" are set to "Stay Outside"

-Blue (player) were attacking Red (Computer - but set to player). Sce was designed to have a few small groups of dismounts scattered, but in the open

-All Infantry in the scenario were inside buildings during the MP session.

-Host confirmed his settings for guard were to occupy buildings.

This is an issue in terms of Scenario design. I specifically wanted Infantry outside. The scenario settings should stay with what the scenario designer has set in their editor.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Members

The design intent was to leave the actual behavior of own troops to the player, rather than let the mission designer dictate how everybody's supposed to behave. You can make the case for either solution, but if you consider the current one "messy", so is the alternative since it takes away the authority from the owning player to decide how his own troops are supposed to behave tactically.

If in doubt, I tend to give the player more freedom of choice.

If this is a start location could you:

1. Set those units to be "computer controlled if ... " and set them to be outside, etc.

2. At some point an event makes them player controlled and then the player can do what they want?

Unsure if those default behaviors affect all units or just player controlled ones?

I should have clarified - This was a mission where Players were attacking a computer-controlled OPFOR. The infantry were part of the OPFOR [computer] side - however, the red infantry were set to player and the scenario was designed to be player vs computer. 

In this case, I had a few scattered observation posts that the player side needed to destroy - however, with the host's setting - we were unable to locate them because some units were hiding in buildings. This then caused a failure to activate the next Event and not progress in the scenario. 

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Unsure if those default behaviors affect all units or just player controlled ones?

I'm also curious if this 'feature' applies to computer-controlled units. ESim?

The only workaround I can see is to not give the dismounts ANY tactic. Just plop them down, as the host could have anyweird setting - even for 'Stay' tactics. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Members

We're going to review the whole feature; how quickly that will be possible I can't say at this point.

I'd like to have the feature refined along the following lines:

- For computer-controlled units, there should be party-specific behavior sets.

- For player-controlled units, player preferences should apply (and not the host's settings for all).