Map Making Questions

stormrider_sp

Since I don't have access to the map making tools only available to the military consumer, I can't explore its features. I'd like to ask a few questions in order to prepare my and others data ready to convert, utilizing the best tools and process available.

1. Is it possible in Steel Beasts to import the terrain map (.ter) as a raster image instead of several individual vector files? This could be very useful if done using "GIS Image Classification" where a GIS software automatically analyse the pixels reflectance and spectral characteristics of an image and groups them into a defined number of classes. In other words, one could automatically classify sand from dirt from water from forests in a single output raster image.

Edited by stormrider_sp

• 2 weeks later...

When we made the Iraq Kuwait border map conversion back in SB 4.0xx, I exported my data to DTED2 to be imported ingame as I was told that was the default format. I don't know if I did something wrong but recently I noticed that ingame, the terrain is terracing. Looking at the exported files with Hill Shading, I noticed that this terracing was introduced during the conversion to DTED2. Is this a normal characteristic for DTED files or in fact I did something wrong?

Is DTED still the main format for importing heightmaps into Steel Beasts? Any other formats supported?

Thanks

spacer.png

DTED

spacer.png

Original Data

spacer.png