Massive Lag in MP

Apocalypse 31

Having massive issues with SB, lots of packet loss during MP sessions. Have never experienced this before. MP games are unplayable.

Just moved to a new city, and changed ISPs (AT&T).

Subscribed to 1k up/down, and getting anywhere between 500-900 during speed tests on multiple, different applications.

Playing a few other MP games with no issues, but having issues with SB. My ping is generally between 120-150 to the server. (Europe) and has always been that way, without issue.

Trying to troubleshoot:

Seeing a recommendation from AT&T technical support to turn off IPv6 support in my modem settings.

Reading online about a few other games that have issues with IPv6 versus IPv4, but I'm not smart on this. If this relevant to SB?

If not, are there any other suggestions?

I would not have thought IPv4 vs IPv6 would matter.

IPv4 is the current / old IP  32-Bit addressing model (format: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX e.g. SB TS server is: 216.22.24.158) which is rapidly running out of spare addresses.

IPv6 is a new 128-Bit IP addressing model with a much larger pool of addresses available to it.

image.thumb.png.d9b4063967de015689284ff084cd89d6.png

If your Modem/Router is constantly trying to connect with incoming IPv4 traffic and IPv6 traffic, then I guess that could be an issue?

The simplest option would be to temporarily disable IPv6 support and see if it makes a difference? Doing this wont stop you from playing with Kanium, TGIF, etc.

The only SB specific impact that I know of is if you are on a IPv4 LAN, the Client will detect the Host automatically (i.e. you don't need to type in the Host's IP address). If you are on a IPv6 LAN then you will need to type in the IPv6 address.

As most SB sessions in this community are not conducted over a LAN (say different data points in the one room /building), but over a WAN (the Internet), it makes no difference here.

I can help if you want a non European location to check with?

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I would not have thought IPv4 vs IPv6 would matter

My thoughts also, but reading a few articles it seems that IPv6 has peer to peer issues in several games. I'm trying to understand if this is something related to SB.

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I can help if you want a non European location to check with?

Appreciate the offer, I'll let you know after Sunday. 

• Moderators

Well, the other thing is -- in general, it seems like the Internet is under heavy strain thanks to everyone sitting at home.  It has become common for me in these past weeks to have high packet loss in games with everyone in the whole neighborhood watching UHD Netflix.  I wonder if it has something to do with that too, hard to say right now...

34 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Well, the other thing is -- in general, it seems like the Internet is under heavy strain thanks to everyone sitting at home.

Yes I'd overlooked that. The Internet, being as it is a collection of different connections and a person's experience could well be influenced by capacity / performance issues, further down the track / several hops away.

• Members

Yes, they did. It's mostly 2nd rate routers that are causing the problems. ISPs usually put their most reliable routers with the highest capacity to support their own network performance (and they meter 3rd party traffic going through it, and charge other ISPs for that traffic). But there are network segments where they can't charge (as much) money for the traffic (e.g. Deutsche Telekom vs. Deutsches Forschungs-Netzwerk DFN), due to regulation. So they assign less reliable hardware to those parts of the internet. Now, as more and more routers are coming to the capacity limit (which is still Saturday evening Netflix HD streaming primetime, according to a report I read yesterday), more and more traffic is being routed through those "sub-prime routers" which increases lag and packet loss if it happens to you. And Yes, ISPs are deliberately doing this to game related traffic to keep the fast connections available for the more important traffic. Which is only reasonable.