Where to find certain skins?

aleader

I just downloaded a newer scenario from the downloads section as I want to try getting into some action: 4th Dragoons at As-Salman, v4.1 1.0.1  .  There is this in the scenario details:

"I understand that Arvigna has made an excellent French skin for the Leopard 1A5 GE, and I suggest you get yourself a copy.  With the introduction of version 4.1, French forces are now assigned the FR (2000) country code, meaning they now wear French desert camo and carry appropriate FAMAS type rifles.  Please ensure that if you have previously downloaded Arvigna's 1A5GE desert skin that it now goes in the FR 2000 folder."

Ok.  I've searched the mods directory in the downloads under skins/Leopard 1 and see no mention of this modder.  I've searched around the site but can't find him or this skin.  Is there some other site that mods are kept?  Thanks.

Edited by aleader

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Did you search by author?

Also the Internet is a big place so there maybe other locations, who knows.

Uh, searched where by author?  I realize the internet is a big place, but thanks for the condescending answer.  What purpose is this forum if not to ask questions?

3 minutes ago, aleader said:

Uh, searched where by author?

In the downloads section.

3 minutes ago, aleader said:

What purpose is this forum if not to ask questions?

Hence why I gave you the suggestion to search by Author.

I'm going to do your work for you, since I have no interest in the skins you are after.

Edited by Gibsonm

39 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

In the downloads section.

Hence why I gave you the suggestion to search by Author.

I'm going to do your work for you, since I have no interest in the skins you are after.

Obviously, but how do you search in the downloads section?!  I don't see any option to search in there by author.  In any event, I looked through every single Leopard 1 skin mod (all 33) and don't see that author in there, period.  Games like Combat Mission have other sites that host mods...it's not that unreasonable a question.  Sheesh, is this game only for crusty old men?  Is this how you talk to people in person?  If I told one of my co-workers to 'go look on the internet' if they asked me a question (I work in an office with 65 adults) I'd quickly become the office a-hole.  You wonder why new players avoid sims...

31 minutes ago, aleader said:

Obviously, but how do you search in the downloads section?!  I don't see any option to search in there by author.

Dare I say "obviously" by using the search area in the top right hand corner.

2077617745_Searchbutton.thumb.png.1f78155bd911132007dcdb74781e06d9.png

Then if you don't find what you want you can refine the search:

screenshot_20200412_104846.thumb.png.c5b3ca115d9adbfa2122d8298dcce706.png

31 minutes ago, aleader said:

Is this how you talk to people in person?  If I told one of my co-workers to 'go look on the internet' if they asked me a question (I work in an office with 65 adults) I'd quickly become the office a-hole.  You wonder why new players avoid sims...

1. If people are civil to me, I'm more than civil back. Just ask a couple of people I spent a few hours helping out this week.

I don't respond well to those who don't appear to make even an initial attempt to work stuff out for themselves (which you seem to have demonstrated here and in earlier posts).

2. In my office (120+ pers of various ranks) people who ask poorly defined questions get that sort of response or worse ("why are you asking me to do your work for you?", .... etc.).

Edited by Gibsonm

On 4/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, Gibsonm said:

Dare I say "obviously" by using the search area in the top right hand corner.

2077617745_Searchbutton.thumb.png.1f78155bd911132007dcdb74781e06d9.png

Then if you don't find what you want you can refine the search:

screenshot_20200412_104846.thumb.png.c5b3ca115d9adbfa2122d8298dcce706.png

1. If people are civil to me, I'm more than civil back. Just ask a couple of people I spent a few hours helping out this week.

I don't respond well to those who don't appear to make even an initial attempt to work stuff out for themselves (which you seem to have demonstrated here and in earlier posts).

2. In my office (120+ pers of various ranks) people who ask poorly defined questions get that sort of response or worse ("why are you asking me to do your work for you?", .... etc.).

Yikes.  I was more than civil, asked a simple question and you gave me that old grognerd attitude as if I'm a moron.  The search function over in the mods section is ARCHAIC if you need to search the FORUMS to find mods.  My lord, even old-as* Combat Mission is easier to search.  I DID do a search for that author, he DOES NOT EXIST in the mods section...all I got was a bunch of forum posts with his name highlighted...can you not compehend that?  Do you not understand that I am trying to find a skin that does not exist on this site and am wondering where exactly it can be found?  Really? 

If you don't want to answer supposedly 'dumb' questions, then don't respond, ok?  I also see from your past posts on these forums that you have a very low tolerance for new players who ask '20 questions.'  It grates my nerves when I see the forum 'regulars' tell new people to 'go search yourself' or 'read the manual.'   Every sim seems to have at least one of them.  Shut the forums down then as they seem to only be here for obscure questions.  And I'm guessing you are not very popular in your office...

Right so let's go back to the start:

On 4/12/2020 at 7:46 AM, aleader said:

Ok.  I've searched the mods directory in the downloads under skins/Leopard 1 and see no mention of this modder.  I've searched around the site but can't find him or this skin.  Is there some other site that mods are kept?  Thanks.

You indicated you looked by vehicle type, not author.

Hence:

On 4/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, Gibsonm said:

Did you search by author?

Then there was:

On 4/12/2020 at 7:46 AM, aleader said:

I've searched around the site but can't find him or this skin.  Is there some other site that mods are kept?  Thanks.

Hence:

On 4/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, Gibsonm said:

Also the Internet is a big place so there maybe other locations, who knows.

Then apparently searching by author was "not obvious" so I showed you where to do that.

Then its somehow the Forum's fault that you couldn't find what you are looking for (as if its compulsory or something for people to upload their mods):

2 hours ago, aleader said:

The search function over in the mods section is ARCHAIC if you need to search the FORUMS to find mods.  My lord, even old-as* Combat Mission is easier to search.  I DID do a search for that author, he DOES NOT EXIST in the mods section...all I got was a bunch of forum posts with his name highlighted...can you not compehend that?  Do you not understand that I am trying to find a skin that does not exist on this site and am wondering where exactly it can be found? 

2 hours ago, aleader said:

If you don't want to answer supposedly 'dumb' questions, then don't respond, ok?  I also see from your past posts on these forums that you have a very low tolerance for new players who ask '20 questions.'  It grates my nerves when I see the forum 'regulars' tell new people to 'go search yourself' or 'read the manual.'

Ah yes hence the various contributions I've made:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

https://www.steelbeasts.com/forum/28-tutorials-and-how-tos/

etc.

What does peeve me is when people can't be bothered to do any work themselves (Is it too hard to ask someone to read the manual - for basic stuff e.g. Both sets of units are on "Blue" but they wont shoot at each other?) and just want the solution provided on a plate. Even your lauded Combat Mission has the concept of "sides".

Then Froggy posted the files because surprise surprise the original author didn't put them in the mods section - I guess because they thought only the French community would be interested in them.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

It seems to that everybody has a point here. Maybe we're all a bit on edge due to all kinds of real-world stressors; I suggest that whenever you read something that could be understood in both ways, pick the most positive meaning and roll with it. Writing doesn't convey everything, there's always subtext and it's not always easy to see. Without doubt some people have more bad days than each of us does. Mark, for example, was rather busy for the last months dealing with the bushfires in Australia (then the floodings, I presume), now everybody's got to deal with the virus.

Let's all take a deep breath and not post in this thread until everybody slept over for a night or two, OK?

15 hours ago, Froggy said:

here the files with 507RCC (woodland, desert, autumn, winter) skins pack

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D9ak8rxRPMSx6tWG79Kw6mA4hZlcPtVE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!  I couldn't find this either even through I knew it had been made and I SWEAR I had it in the past!

I'll be throwing these in and running the scenario with proper skins later tonight