Destroying Bridges...

Jimbo

Folks,

I suspect the answer is "no"... but let me ask...

Can "permanent" bridges (i.e. those bridges contained on map file) be "blown"/destroyed during run time ?

My experiments on the 450 ton bridge, with airstrikes and IEDs would seem to indicate no.

Can the engineer vehicle (Biber, MT-55) bridges be destroyed during game play ?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Can "permanent" bridges (i.e. those bridges contained on map file) be "blown"/destroyed during run time ?

My experiments on the 450 ton bridge, with airstrikes and IEDs would seem to indicate no.

Yes the IEDs need to be "sizeable" - e.g. for a 400t freeway bridge a 1,000 lb JDAM.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Can the engineer vehicle (Biber, MT-55) bridges be destroyed during game play ?

Not the bridge span itself, but you can deny access to it by an IED placed at one end so there is a sizable crater between the approach and the bridge span - would tend to need some tinkering / testing though to get the crater big enough.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thank you, Gentleman...

FYI ... I got it to go with 2 IEDs configured as 8 x 2000lbs.

Didn't try too hard to reduce the charges, a little less might work...

But 1 x 10 x 2000lbs did not.

Very excited. I like a little random chaos in my scenarios, and loss of an expected route will be fit the bill.

Not a Bridge.png

Not a Bridge IED.png

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We'll attribute it to garbled comms in the J-TACs nine-line briefing.

If you want extra "colour" - you can pre populate the bridge with some "Green" (or other neutral, non Blue / Red side) so they aren't shown on the map, set them to being damaged / destroyed, then when the bridge is "blown" there will be suitable vehicle wrecks both on and under / around the bridge (when the span is dropped / disappears the wrecks fall down).

When I get home I can provide some screenshots.

Edited by Gibsonm

@Jimbo Here you are:

Mission Editor 2 x JDAM clusters on the main bridge (JDAM #1 and #3, each 4 x 2,000lb), one on the secondary (JDAM #2 - 1 x 1,000lb):

SS_15_29_33.thumb.jpg.8ae080fa7e7a96c3255c52e43e0e689f.jpg

Pre H hr:

SS_15_29_00.thumb.jpg.4e8c2b038d13a3edce2b213aea20e1f4.jpg

Post Detonation:

SS_15_33_51.thumb.jpg.767580e616f1471c6add494e25c532d6.jpg

I suspect you don't need 4 x 2,000lb to achieve the effect, but I didn't really want to go through numerous testing runs to pick just the right one - I just wanted the bridge dropped at mission start to deny the route.

Note: The grouping of "green" vehicles and civilians gathered near the detonation point and their subsequent distribution. The idea here was to convey a NATO / West German withdrawal route, denied by Soviet CAS sortie.

I am however looking at a series of detonations for say a Reserve Demolition:

a. A smaller charge to reflect the initial cratering when the RESDEM is prepared, and

b. A larger charge that drops the bridge, when the RESDEM is fired.

Edited by Gibsonm