Bridge Destruction

MAJ_Fubar

A continuation of this topic, prior to rev. 4.156 all bridges could be damaged during runtime by IEDs and airstrikes, and the wooden bridge (449) by IED, airstrike, HE arty strikes, and main gun HE/HEAT direct fire.

Currently all bridges can be damaged by IEDs and ICM arty strikes; all except heavy bridges (ID 443, 444, 445, 446) can be damaged by airstrikes {this seems appropriate]; and the wooden bridge by IED, airstrike, ICM arty strikes, and main gun HE/HEAT direct fire. All bridges are immune to HE arty (including 449) and a 20x20m ICM strike (regardless of delivery platform) will always drop three spans. Although my methodology involved battery-six ICM strikes from six-tube batteries, smaller densities still resulted in bridge destruction (typically dropping the spans on the second volley) and linear strikes (20x100m or 20x200m) could drop an entire bridge.

In conclusion, the big take away is that ICM is capable knackering every bridge in the sim and the wooden bridge no longer takes HE arty damage.

• Moderators

Thanks for editing the SBwiki page MAJ_Fubar.  I was looking at it -- as it is now, it seems to be working as intended (regarding IED and airstrikes).

As you mention, IEDs can collapse every bridge, but as you specified in the wiki pag:, it requires different sizes of IEDs, with the most durable bridges requiring 1000lb or 2000lb IEDs.  This seems correct to me, at least in what I was trying to do when setting the values.

So, the problem seems to be with the ICM levelling the bridges, and that you say HE artillery no longer does, right?

The ICM issue  is certainly a bug, as is the HE artillery issue, because actually the wooden bridge and the bridge (and to a lesser extent) the 50t bridge via direct impacts, should be damaged by 155mm HE artillery already - so if that is not happening then it also is a bug.

• Moderators

Ah one more thing...

MAJ_Fubar, in your test, did you use on map or off map artillery?  If off map, then when you have a chance, please try it with on map and see if anything is different regarding the wooden bridge. I just am wondering which method you used and whether it makes a different in your observation.

We are looking into it...

All right, upon further testing the wooden bridge can be affected by HE arty, but such damage is caliber specific (152mm and up) and it can take quite a few rounds to cause damage (average 12-18 rounds to drop one section).  Note that this was not the case prior to 4.163 (weeks ago when I did the bulk of my testing), so something changed there, but it works now.  Unfortunately the ICM problem still persists.

• Moderators

OK, thanks for the observation. Yes, 155mm artillery should be able to collapse the wooden bridge from over pressure within about 3-4 meters of impact, and do the same to the 50t bridge at 1 meter impact (basically impact) - going by the math at least. We might make them a little more vulnerable in the future, but the desire was to not have the bridges get collapses unless by very accurate artillery fire.

Looking into the ICM issue.... 🤔