New hyper-detailed scenario w/ new map available

Wax Savage

Hi Guys,

over the past five months I have been preparing a map and scenario for your enjoyment.  This scenario is a variant of a circa 2004 Single-player session called ‘Droysiger_Forst’ (designed by forum member sbean). It involves a Russian incursion into east central Germany and defense by mixed NATO forces.

I targeted the scenario environment to be visually realistic. I calculate there is (conservatively) 600 man-hours in the project.  Little did I realize that in five months a 12x12 km map file would grow to 62 megabytes! 

The added details incur a cost.  With older computers the ‘eye-candy’ may slow your frame-rate to unacceptable levels. Just reduce SB’s detail settings until the frame-rate produces smooth gameplay. (Maximize the in-game detail when you want to take screen-shots!)

Get it here …

Installation:

1). Unzip files to your desktop.  

2). On your computer, place the scenario file Droysiger Forst Redux.sce into the following folder location …

C:\Users\ (your users name) \Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios

3). Next place the map package Droysiger Forst folder into the following location …

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages

Feedback /critiques are encouraged.

Best Wishes,

Wax Savage

ps. If there is interest I can collaborate on a multi-player version.

Photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Map.jpg

Edited by Wax Savage
correction

43 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Just be aware that a lot of that extra detail may impact AI pathing and frame-rates.

Unfortunately there tends to be a trade-off between this added "colour" (hedges, street furniture, light poles, etc.) and practicality.

Not sure what is AI pathing ? Would you explain please.

Wax Savage

18 minutes ago, Wax Savage said:

Not sure what is AI pathing ? Would you explain please.

Wax Savage

The AI attempting to work out a way (or path) through the town, etc.

You risk vehicles getting wedged in buildings, against walls, highway guard rails, hedges, etc. or not going where you want them to (e.g. going around a hedge and being destroyed, instead of through a hedge and staying alive).

I'm assuming there is more than one vehicle on Blue so the player needs to rely on the AI following the routes, etc. the player sets for it.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

To the extent that navmeshes are being used when creating routes (IOW, off-road routes that don't go in straight lines), the level of detail should not affect the AI's ability to navigate a map ... as long as your scenario stays above 10 frames per second. If you disable the navmesh in your pathing (e.g. by your default settings, or by holding the Alt Key, you still get local obstacle avoidance — but that isn't guaranteed to work all the time and more often than not will show silly behavior while it tries to negotiate an obstacle.

6 hours ago, tankgirl72 said:

Scenario seems to have been removed?

Hi tankgirl72,

the file package is available again. Sorry. Follow the readme.doc enclosed in the zip folder for a successful install of the scenario into your S/B. Would love to get your opinions/feedback after you've run the scenario.

all the best,

Wax

4 hours ago, Wax Savage said:

Hi tankgirl72,

the file package is available again. Sorry. Follow the readme.doc enclosed in the zip folder for a successful install of the scenario into your S/B. Would love to get your opinions/feedback after you've run the scenario.

all the best,

Wax

PS.: also a simple link to the downloadlocation in the post would help much...