help with conditional routes

peter winship

I'm sure I'm being dim, but I can't get certain conditional orders to work. Could anyone take a look at the picture and tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

The picture shows a GUARD BP for a unit (1/5/A) with 2 attached numbered routes (besides the ingress route). The route numbered 14 is an unconditioned simple retreat route. The route labelled 7 is a conditioned retreat route and the condition is shown. Basically, I want the unit to retreat the moment it spots enemy forces. Yet what happens is the unit never uses route 7 but instead stays put when it spots an enemy, and then once the enemy engages it the implicit Guard retreat condition seems to kick in and it takes route 14. What am I doing wrong? If I don't add route 14 then the unit still doesn't take route 7 when it detects the enemy and just stays put until killed....

Thanks! 

1.png

Edited by peter winship

Peter,

Well ...

You have an "OR" statement but there doesn't appear to be a second choice. "OR" means it will try to evaluate the alternatives and you haven't provided any.

Try leaving it as "AND".

The implied "OR" (which I presume is move to waypoint 11) will be achieved if the condition to go to waypoint 7 is not satisfied.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks, Gibsonm. But I only tried the 'or' when 'and' didn't work. 

Could it be I should be using an embark condition for route 7, not a retreat back condition? Retreat back says, 'retreat back to starting waypoint if' but the unit is sort of already at the starting waypoint, since its never yet been down that route. Could that be it? Can I set an attached retreat route with an embark condition? 

And generally, is there any video tutorial about branching routes etc that anyone could point me to? I've read the wiki. 

If you are using "OR" you need a second condition.

I suspect what you should be doing is giving it an "embark if ..." route (but using a "retreat" tactic) in order to get the vehicle to move to "7" as opposed to back to where you started.

In the starter pack wiki page (referenced here):

Direct link:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

There are links to 11(?) videos by Toyguy on mission design and they include some coverage to "embark if" type routes.

Feel free to come back if that doesn't work (I don't have access to the application for the next 5 hours or so though so I'm working from memory).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

If the other conditionals are empty, it doesn't matter what boolean operator is set.

Since the unit IS taking the route to BP14 it's safe to assume that it DOES arrive at BP3 (with an "engage" route, that is never guaranteed, as they could freeze enroute when spotting an enemy earlier than anticipated by the mission designer). Having one conditioned route and one unconditioned route is also recommended practice.

BUT!

The condition reads "Retreat back to starting waypoint if", and that's the problem. You want a "Retreat" route with an "embark, if..." condition. Even if the unit were to take the route, effectively its orders are to return to BP3 after spotting an enemy rather than to proceed to BP7.

With the advent of the Covid 19 I  have returned to scenario  writing in Steel Beasts.   When testing my scenarios I have  noticed that units often  and sometimes do not  move beyond way points at  all.  The proceed order appears when you highlight the unit in Map  view ( F5) , which when pressed moves the unit past the way point and the scenario progresses until the next way point is reached where the same thing happens.   I have tried to solve this myself and returned to an old sand box minefield breach that was quite complex and  based on the excellent guide of Col Gibsonm.  Initially although reasonably complex ie.  at  least  7  sequences and   7  waypoints all worked perfectly.  As I loaded up some more complexity .i.e some delay for some sequences, units started to stop and  not proceed  beyond way points.   It did not  happen for all units  or all way points and  looked somewhat  random.   I am I now doing something wrong as the rust of my  brain forgets procedures or is there a known issue here  ??

In case anyone has a similar problem as  I outlined  a few posts ago, that is units do not  move  beyond a way point, when it is  intended that the way point only  be for a change of speed or formation etc  and  wait until a proceed command is  pressed in F5  view.   I  identified the problem and the  solution.   The problem was that you can set  a Default Route Way point Tactic for a way point in Options  .ie.  Defend, Suppress,  Guard .  I  had inadvertently  set  a default Waypoint tactic  for the way points I  created , when the intention was for only changing speed or formation tactic to be  be actioned until  I  over rode it with the command, " To proceed".      The  solution is  to set a  universal command of "none" in options for   "Default Route Way point Tactics and manually set each  way point, or conversely manually  change the way point  to none if you want a  vehicle to proceed without stopping and adopt the action of the next route.     I hope that  helps if your searching for a solution as I was.   SB is set up  logically so it  was definitively operator error.  Thanks  to Gibsonm ( Mark)  for his assistance.