Gunners control. salvation?

Tsahi

19 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

And ironically despite being designed for "foreign" guns, my only real use for them has been US made stuff with tight magazine wells, and conversion into HK33 mags.

Not so ironic. EMags were designed to basically fit any "other" guns that the PMag Gen 2 didn't fit. This includes anything AR-15 that wasn't built to military specifications, which is a massive number. They discontinued the EMags after they developed the PMag Gen 3, which supposedly works with anything. 

4 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

This includes anything AR-15 that wasn't built to military specifications, which is a massive number. They discontinued the EMags after they developed the PMag Gen 3, which supposedly works with anything. 

Again, ironically, my use for them is early AR-15s lol.  The early mag wells sometimes ran a bit on the tight side. 

18 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

Going back to the controllers, what's the cost like for just a gunner control handle?  I have some very good joysticks that work just fine for a TC controller, but they're kinda...well...Super Lame for gunnery, especially moving targets.

In not necessarily stuck on the idea of a direct copy of the real deal, I just want something with batter control over the inputs.

We only manufacture training versions of the original equipment. Average cost for a gunners control handle is 2k GBP excl. taxes. Seems expensive, but the OE can be 5-10 x this cost. Or not available at all.

If we had an order for several hundred units, the cost would reduce dramatically, but our average order is for about 10.

2 hours ago, hawes said:

We only manufacture training versions of the original equipment. Average cost for a gunners control handle is 2k GBP excl. taxes. Seems expensive, but the OE can be 5-10 x this cost. Or not available at all.

If we had an order for several hundred units, the cost would reduce dramatically, but our average order is for about 10.

OEM = £20,000?!!!

• Members
2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

OEM = £20,000?!!!

Yes.

Often these are still all-analog control devices, made for military specifications (wide temperature range, including condensing humidity), and even large tank fleets usually measure in the hundreds or low thousands (and production stretched out over a decade). So...

• 3 weeks later...

I am not surprised at the pricetag.

I only have limited experience with the Leopard 1A5 DK gunners grip but that thing is solidly build and is very heavy.

I had a dream of getting a genuine grip, but I have dropped it. I am simply afraid that the weight and the centering forces will tear my desk to pieces. And then it would also be hell to swap when I want to do other kinds of simming.

The good news is that I have been allowed to make a photoscan of one of our grips at GHRVPK and intend to share the finnished 3D model when it is ready.

I am also going to make a much lighter DIY lookalike grip with the same funktions. I intend to share the files I make for 3D printing such as the handles and triggers. The rest are basically boxes and a pipe so they will not be 3Dprinted.

I have looked inside a grip so I understand how they work, but I will not make any attempt to replicate the internals.

Some of it actually surprised me.

Happy Simming

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I'd say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last autumn russian company called 'Syberion' officially announced   a controller device designed specially for AFV simulators and  tank games. Now device is ready for series production, and since this Saturday they are taking pre-orders.  Device itself is made rugged and may survive some abuse by the user- CNC-machined internals made of tool steel, body pressed of general steel, industrial grade electronic components, and so on.  Since device was  made for  consumer market, It is not ITAR-controlled, but good news are ending here.

1) Device is not cheap- ~500 EUR per current exchange rate(price for russian domestic market)

2) Initially it is going to be released in Russia only. And other markets...  Let's say it depends of interest from prospective customers. 

So question is, if such device is really needed, how many people wish to have it, and how many will actually consider  purchasing it, if, hypothetically, controller would be made available to the rest of the world?

2 hours ago, CalAB said:

I can see how gun elevation is accessed but how is turret rotation accomplished? Does the user pivot the entire unit right/ left?

Correct, upper part pivots left and right, like most of  the russian control handles. This layout is just more convenient for use on the  desk.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:56 AM, Jartsev said:

Well... I'd say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last autumn russian company called 'Syberion' officially announced   a controller device designed specially for AFV simulators and  tank games. Now device is ready for series production, and since this Saturday they are taking pre-orders.  Device itself is made rugged and may survive some abuse by the user- CNC-machined internals made of tool steel, body pressed of general steel, industrial grade electronic components, and so on.  Since device was  made for  consumer market, It is not ITAR-controlled, but good news are ending here.

1) Device is not cheap- ~500 EUR per current exchange rate(price for russian domestic market)

2) Initially it is going to be released in Russia only. And other markets...  Let's say it depends of interest from prospective customers. 

So question is, if such device is really needed, how many people wish to have it, and how many will actually consider  purchasing it, if, hypothetically, controller would be made available to the rest of the world?

SteelControlMain.jpg

Do you have any links for the manufacturer?