Gunner HEAT PC

Galileo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just say "Nope." I've followed it a year or so now. Was hopeful when I saw the initial WIP graphics, but the whole 3rd person/GPS thing.... just a dressed up game.

As if War Thunder was a skinny freckled redhead and Steel Beasts Pro was Robert Mitchum... and he got drunk and they had a baby... skinny, freckled, red hair and a manly chin.

• 3 weeks later...

We are pleased to announce that GHPC is coming to Steam Early Access at the end of the summer: September 6, 2022 at noon PDT (3pm EDT). The game will have a starting base price of $29.99 USD and a 10% launch discount for the first week.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1705180/view/3389539321912153997

Edited by Galileo

The Patreon demo is $3 to access at the moment (per month) and the game will hit early access on Sep 6. Curious if anyone else has decided they will be picking it up for release. I will definitely do a long term comparison video some time after full launch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

The only thing that would get me to bite would be a dynamic campaign.

The Patreon demo currently has one, playable from either side.

I've been playing as a patron since January of this year and it's come a long way. Right now, my biggest gripe is that there is no separation of crew duties yet, so the gunner can't independently track targets while the commander searches for new ones. You the player have to do everything yourself. The commander's cupola views are also incomplete, so as the TC, your only view is as turned out. Both of these are on the roadmap for EA to be implemented. 3rd person view will be restricted to only when the TC is unbuttoned. And several new simulation-centric features are to be added. While this isn't going to be a professional-level sim akin to Steel Beasts, it's certainly going to be more than an obnoxious, frenetic clickfest like WoT.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this on Reddit, but I think it serves as a good summary as to my thoughts:

I’ve played GHPC in some capacity since their very early builds in July of 2020 (video is here for the nostalgia trip:)

This video is my opinion, based on the current state that GHPC is in as of launch. Steam defines an Early Access title as being “worth the current value of the playable build." As a result of that, I cannot in good faith tell people that I believe that spending $26.99, not including tax, is worth it for access to the latest Patreon build.

My advice: put this on your wish list, and give the project a few months to mature.

• Moderators

I'd say it's a pretty good effort. The visuals look nice, and it does give ideas on what we could do with some improvements if we have time. Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition in that regard, but of course its two different audiences as well. Seems like its probably a "fun quick action" type game where-as SB is more of a tool box. 

2 hours ago, jens198 said:

If I have enough confidence in a dev-team and I am really interested in the product, I usally dare to spend my money even on an early access. I see it as a kind of investment into the team (they gotta need money to make their living as well 🙂 )

It is definitely an investment into the project.

Steam defines Early Access as "a place for games that are in a playable alpha or beta state, are worth the current value of the playable build, and that you plan to continue to develop for release." I don't have any doubts about the first and third part of that statement. I wanted to focus on if "the current value of the playable build" is worth buying as of release. 

GHPC looks like a budget title- which has nothing to do with the graphics, that is to say, it looks like something which could be developed for a mobile  device.  missions seem to be a form of point and click and shoot the waves of tanks with little else based on the videos i have seen. there are not many types of targets or objectives other than AFVs shooting one another; there does not appear to be a varied choice of maps, and i am not sure there is any joystick support (based on the videos i have seen, feel free to correct me here)

in sum it's a difficult niche they maneuvered into being neither real enthusiast level nor satisfying instant action with multiplayer like battlefield where players have the choice between air and land vehicles or infantry roles or something of the sort- it's not whether it is in alpha or beta state, it is more the scope and the concept of what it intends to be where i lose interest. no sandbox or map editor, infantry seems to represented the way they were depicted in older games from the 1990s where at most you tended to see a single or two man detachment with a bazooka. other than the graphics and sound, which admittedly are nice, the gameplay doesn't offer anything i would keep coming back for- i would be willing to spend more than the asking price if it did more, but even if the bugs were worked, there is not much depth there from what i can tell

On 9/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mirzayev said:

I posted this on Reddit, but I think it serves as a good summary as to my thoughts:I’ve played GHPC in some capacity since their very early builds in July of 2020 (video is here for the nostalgia trip

This video is my opinion, based on the current state that GHPC is in as of launch. Steam defines an Early Access title as being “worth the current value of the playable build." As a result of that, I cannot in good faith tell people that I believe that spending $26.99, not including tax, is worth it for access to the latest Patreon build.

My advice: put this on your wish list, and give the project a few months to mature.

Thanks for the review, although I watched it after the fact of getting the early-release of GHPC a couple of days ago (the 1980's time-period, theatre, and tech was too irresistible). The models and terrain look great, and the sound effects are nice for the most part, but playing it will take some practice and patience so hopefully this title continues to be polished.

I got it and like it as a casual sim-lite but it's nowhere on par with this title as far as actual "simulator" goes.

In fact, after about an hour of playing it I missed this sim so much I came back to it after years of being away. I had SB Pro PE 2.0 something or other years ago and paid like $125 for it back then and even got a thick manual to go along with it but lost my codemeter dongle after my divorce in 2014.

So, I just shelled out $115 to get SB Pro PE 4.357 the other day (still waiting on it to arrive via mail) so you can thank GHPC for bringing me back here again. Others may come here from GHPC if they read the Steam forums and see people mentioning SB Pro PE and sharing SB Pro PE youtube videos and explaining why it's a far more superior simulator. 

If I had to compare them I'd say GHPC is akin to Duck Hunt on NES while this is more like The Hunter Call of the Wild in comparison but only with reversed graphics. GHPC has the better graphics but has the weaker gameplay. And gameplay beats graphics every time. 

I do feel like the asking price for GHPC is fair for what you get. Plus, it's Early Access so it's going to improve over time and it has a lot of potential for growth. So, I see it like an investment to get it at this price point. As it improves, they may very well increase the price. So, if you've got the money to get it, go ahead and get it now and just let it improve over time without playing it. Then check in on it every so often and take it for a test drive to see all the new improvements. That's my game plan regarding it. In the meantime, I'm enjoying this one again. 

Edited by Thorn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got GHPC on steam - it's nice, but like @Thorn just made me come back to SB even though havent played for a few years :D 

It's fun, quick action. Graphics are nice (not that it matters much).

But it's missing so much compared to SB.. 

I fell $25 might be a bit much at this stage of development.
Maybe if they had multiplayer.. but I'll chuck my spend as "supporting devs".