What's in a name - How hard is it to change a country code?

Gibsonm

I'm unsure how easy it is to change the country code used for camouflage, etc is?

STANAG 1059 (the NATO standard) uses "AS" as the two letter code for Australia

ISO 3166 (the standard adopted for the Internet) uses "AU".

FYI - AU is the STANAG 1059 code for Austria (a slightly different place).

At some point it would appear that the codes used in SB have become "mingled" some use STANAG 1059, others ISO 3166.

If it is a straight forward task (i.e. easy to implement in the current software, wont impact published scenarios, ...) can we standardise on STANAG 1059 for the two letter country codes?

1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

Well we use ISO standard, I went through and checked and only a couple may be ambiguous where the country didn't exist for ISO. these are CS, DD, USSR. The only possible ambiguous one i can find otherwise is UK.

OK so how do I interpret that response?

1. Don't worry about compiling a list as we are happy not using the NATO standard and wont change?

2. Go ahead and compile the list so we can scope the work involved?

3. Something else?

Edited by Gibsonm

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

At some point it would appear that the codes used in SB have become "mingled" some use STANAG 1059, others ISO 3166.

Well I'm responding to this, I have checked and apart from the few I listed there doesn't seem to be any ambiguity with ISO which is what we are using. I cannot find any using STANAG 1059 they all appear to be ISO 3199. If the question is can we use STANAG 1059 rather than ISO 3199 that would probably be a fair amount of work as it would entail redoing all the folders and the code which reads from them. Maybe it would be possible to have STANAG 1059 Aliases for the country codes in the mission editor. That is probably something to submit as an Official or Unofficial (Wishlist item) request. It seems pretty moot to me though as the mission editor lists the country name in full.

• Members

We decided to go with the ISO 3166 because we suspect that people these days are more familiar with it internet country TLD codes than with the Stanag 1059.

ISO 3166 offers a handful of codes for countries that no longer exist (USR, East Germany), so even that is sorta-kinda accounted for (except that these can't be official designations because these countries don't exist).

IF we were to adopt a NATO Stanag in the UI (nothing that I would decide lightly), I suppose we would go straight for three-letter codes.

1 hour ago, Retro said:

Is this about the actual files (filenames, foldernames), or about the UI (ie the string shown in the 'camouflage' drop-down list)?

Well from my point of view it was for the UI.

However I would assume it would be useful if they both aligned (i.e. "AS" in the UI corresponded to a folder named "AS") but as its not going to happen its irrelevant.