Mod installer

andym

Can anyone explain how i can use a generic mod enabler with SB pro PE please?For me it would be a distinct advantage as it would obviate the need to reinstall the sim after stuffing it up!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also,can differnt skins be used with the generic mod enabler?

For sounds and textures locate the eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folder in My Documents.

Install JSGME.exe, and create a MODS folder.

Place the files you want to change in the MODS folder organized in a folder with the name of your choice (make it descriptive as that's what JSGME will call it).

Inside that folder create sub-folders using the SBPro PE naming structure. (i.e. Textures\woodland) This is where the files are placed.

When you run JSGME it will copy the files up to the eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folder placing them in sub-folders using the SBPro PE naming structure, and that's all there is to it.

If you want to change out skies, ground textures, or special effects you can also set up the same JSGME MODS file structure in your main SB Pro PE 2 program folder.

For sounds and textures locate the eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folder in My Documents.

Install JSGME.exe, and create a MODS folder.

Place the files you want to change in the MODS folder organized in a folder with the name of your choice (make it descriptive as that's what JSGME will call it).

Inside that folder create sub-folders using the SBPro PE naming structure. (i.e. Textures\woodland) This is where the files are placed.

When you run JSGME it will copy the files up to the eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods folder placing them in sub-folders using the SBPro PE naming structure, and that's all there is to it.

If you want to change out skies, ground textures, or special effects you can also set up the same JSGME MODS file structure in your main SB Pro PE 2 program folder.

Itried this,but for some reason it hasnt worked.:(

Where do i install the JGSME?Is in the My DOC/esim/

or the Main programme file.

In XP it goes here:

My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\JSGME.exe

and then add a folder here for your files:

My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\MODS

and here:

Program Files\ Games\SB Pro PE 2\JSGME.exe

and then add a folder here for your files:

Program Files\ Games\SB Pro PE 2\MODS

I'm not too sure if I see the enormous advantage of a 'generic mod enabler' within SB.

The file structure is not ideally suited to a single repository of Mods, as it is adapted for a multi-user secure system, and has little in common with the typical structure of retail games.

Most texture mods can just be added into the 'My documents' branch of the SB file structure.

Adding new maps does require you to locate the 'Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data' hidden folders, but the actual process of copying .hgt files into the folder

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\height

and the .ter files into

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\terrain

Seems simple enough (and rarely enough required) that it isn't too onerous.

In that case you only need to modify the contents of 'My Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\mods\textures'

The folders for the vehicles are:

Woodland, Desert, Autumn, Winter, TIS*

Each folder can contain a single (group of) textures for each vehicle type as many vehicles have internal and external skins &/or other detail textures. These are the textures applied to 'Blue force' vehicles.

Inside each folder is a second folder for 'red' vehicles.

It is fairly safe to mess around with these, as deleting the folder contents will merely return you to the stock textures should you get into trouble.

* A destroyed folder also exists but isn't used yet AFAIK.

I don't think you can strictly do that 'per mission'.

What you can do is replace the default Woodland skin for a Leo AS1 for 'red' for example:

Selecting a suitable file from the downloads page:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/311/p13_fileid/1534

We extract the 'Tankenstein' files into a temporary area - I keep a library of ones that I like to use.

Then we copy the LeoAS1.dds file into mods/woodland/red and we are done.

While this file is present any mission played on a woodland theme map with 'red' LeoAS1 will use this 'Tankenstein OPFOR' skin.

How well SB tolerates you swapping these 'on the fly' between missions I'm not sure, but you may be able to change them without exiting if you wanted to?

What i am trying to do is to have multiple skins of the AFV's to be able to be used as i see fit.I thought that JGSME would have been the easiest way to accomplish this.

Yes, that's exactly what I use it for. In a matter of a couple of seconds in JGSME I can switch everything from German units to Finnish.

I use JSGME.

It works very well.

You have to start by making sure that the folder association is the same as where the files are to by added by the mod.

I will explain.

JSGME.exe uses a folder in the main install location named "MODS"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Nogard/step1.jpg

In this folder is where you want to place your mods.

Each mod folder has to be named. Such as: "Tank Skin_M1A1_Daskals Desert- V3"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Nogard/step2.jpg

You have to place the texture files in the correct folder order to have them install correctly.

I am using the same example:

I have daskals Desert version 3 textures. It is a Desert skin, so we need to make sure it goes into the desert texture folder for us to use it in the sim.

The folder order should be set up like such: Tank Skin_M1A1_Daskals Desert- V3\textures\desert

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Nogard/Set4.jpg

You can see by the images, the file set up. After you have created and made up all the type's of skin textures, terrain mod textures properly and placed them in the "mods" folder.

Your JSGME should look like this when started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Nogard/ModImage.jpg

You have to be sure and deactivate the same type and setting skin before activating another.

Example: If you have a DESERT-M1A1 skin applied. You decide you would like to use another. Deactivate the applied DESERT skin, then apply the other DESERT-M1A1 skin you would like to use.

If there are any MODS you try to apply with the same location and textures, you will get a warning and a list of what mods conflict. No conflicts, the mods activate with no warning.

This is a good tool to test textures and mods without hosing your install of SB Pro Beta.

After all mods have been applied, close JSGME and play the Sim.

Hope this helps,

214thDragon

• 6 months later...

Cool,i got it to work a treat

Now, i had some files in the "ORIGINAL" Textures folders that contained downloaded mods,am i right in thinking that in a "Clean" install these folders are empty?Only i ask as i will need to remove the files that i installed prior to using the JGSME for skins etc.Cheers