Jump to content
atrOx

Few questions before buy

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi guys have a few questions before i decide to buy Steel Beast.

 

1. Is there any multicore support in SB? If so how many cores can the engine handle?

2. What framerate can i expect with my rig? 

AMD 3950x

32GB Ram 3600Mhz

Nvidia 2080ti

Playing @1440p

3. Is there a vehicle list that are up to date? (Current version vehicle list)

4. Any roadmap for the sim?

5. Can you make your own senarios with SB PE or do you need classroom version for that?

6. How do you buy the classroom version (SB Professional) and pricing? Cant find it in web shop.

7. Can i buy Steel Beasts Pro PE Classic License

and then buy a secondary licens for 25$ and play with my friend over the internet?

Or do he need to buy the full licens version to?

 

Iam very exited about the game, just hard to find some of my questions.

Thx atrOx

 

Edited 20200527

Added Question

8. If i buy one licens and for exaple buy 2 secondary licens (25$ version) then the sim make a big update you need to pay for, do i need to upgrade all the other licens to?

9. Are the secondary lincens always connected to my CodeMeter stick forever? Do that mean over time if i want i can buy 7 more secondary licens and i can play with 7 friends online forever if i just upgrade my main licens?

10. Can i use the secondary licens on diffrent computers? For example: if i play with a friend then i want to play with another friend can the other friend use the same licens? i understand they cant doit it at same time but atleast when they play one at the time?

Edited by atrOx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, atrOx said:

 

3. Is there a vehicle list that are up to date? (Current version vehicle list)

 

5. Can you make your own senarios with SB PE or do you need classroom version for that?

6. How do you buy the classroom version (SB Professional) and pricing? Cant find it in web shop.

7. Can i buy Steel Beasts Pro PE Classic License

and then buy a secondary licens for 25$ and play with my friend over the internet?

Or do he need to buy the full licens version to?

 

Iam very exited about the game, just hard to find some of my questions.

Thx atrOx

 

 

I can answer a few of these.

 

3. Yes. Check here for a list. https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page#Vehicle_information

 

5. You can make your own scenarios with SB Pro PE. In fact, the majority of people on this site use SB Pro PE rather than the classroom version.

 

6. I would 100% recommend going with SB Pro PE. SB Professional is significantly more expensive, and would likely be of limited use to the average person playing for entertainment rather than training. 

 

7. Yes. You will need to set this up using the CodeMeter software. I haven't personally done it, but plenty of people on this forum have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

I can answer a few of these.

 

3. Yes. Check here for a list. https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page#Vehicle_information

 

5. You can make your own scenarios with SB Pro PE. In fact, the majority of people on this site use SB Pro PE rather than the classroom version.

 

6. I would 100% recommend going with SB Pro PE. SB Professional is significantly more expensive, and would likely be of limited use to the average person playing for entertainment rather than training. 

 

7. Yes. You will need to set this up using the CodeMeter software. I haven't personally done it, but plenty of people on this forum have. 

Oki cool, wow fast answer thx alot man! 

 

Any guesses what framerate to expect? Its still my main concern, playing with 1440p so it will be more demanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atrOx said:

Oki cool, wow fast answer thx alot man! 

 

Any guesses what framerate to expect? Its still my main concern, playing with 1440p so it will be more demanding.

I have the following stats:

 

Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60Ghz

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

64 GB of Ram

 

I average about 60 FPS at 1920x1080.

 

For what it is worth, I've found that Steel Beasts doesn't scale very well above that resolution.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mirzayev said:

I have the following stats:

 

Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60Ghz

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

64 GB of Ram

 

I average about 60 FPS at 1920x1080.

 

For what it is worth, I've found that Steel Beasts doesn't scale very well above that resolution.

 

Oki nice! Then i have atleast someone with good gear to compare with, thx again mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, atrOx said:

Hi guys have a few questions before i decide to buy Steel Beast.

 

1. Is there any multicore support in SB? If so how many cores can the engine handle?

2. What framerate can i expect with my rig? 

AMD 3950x

32GB Ram 3600Mhz

Nvidia 2080ti

Playing @1440p

3. Is there a vehicle list that are up to date? (Current version vehicle list)

4. Any roadmap for the sim?

5. Can you make your own senarios with SB PE or do you need classroom version for that?

6. How do you buy the classroom version (SB Professional) and pricing? Cant find it in web shop.

7. Can i buy Steel Beasts Pro PE Classic License

and then buy a secondary licens for 25$ and play with my friend over the internet?

Or do he need to buy the full licens version to?

 

Iam very exited about the game, just hard to find some of my questions.

Thx atrOx

 

 

A couple more:

 

4. Regular free patching (say once every 6-12 months) with an paid upgrade path on average every 18 months.

 

5. Yes. There is a built in Mission Editor and a Map Editor.

 

6. You don't (unless you are a Government - its a Defence training tool).

 

7. Yes. One main license and one supplementary. You do not need 2 x Full Licenses.

 

Based on when you made the post, you are welcome to come by on Thursday to the BG ANZAC session and watch what goes on and ask any additional questions you might have. :)

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

A couple more:

 

4. Regular free patching (say once every 6-12 months) with an paid upgrade path on average every 18 months.

 

5. Yes. There is a built in Mission Editor and a Map Editor.

 

6. You don't (unless you are a Government).

 

7. Yes. One main license and one supplementary. You do not need 2 x Full Licenses.

What are your computer setup and what resolution you play in? avg framerate?

Still curious of ppls framerate specially if you play in 1440p.

Thx for your answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I'll look when I get home but my machine isn't "high end" and I use 1080p.

 

Here may be of use:

 

 

Also I presume you know you can rent the software for something like USD$9.50 and run it for a month to see if it works well on your machine, before buying a full license?

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atrOx said:

1. Is there any multicore support in SB? If so how many cores can the engine handle?

2. What framerate can i expect with my rig? 

AMD 3950x

32GB Ram 3600Mhz

Nvidia 2080ti

Playing @1440p

 

I'm running a quite similar system but just intel 9900K.

 

It does use multi threads but I dont know the technical details. I see at least 4 cores quite busy (peaking at 50% - 80% load) during a busy scenario.

 

You will get framerates around 50 - 60 fps even with huge scenarios and good view distances.  Dont expect to see framerates in the hundreds in steel beasts regardless of your hardware budget.  But It does play very well at 50 - 60fps!

 

Over the years perfomance and graphics engine have slowly and surely improved massively,  the time frame is years not months you will just need to be patient about updates :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atrOx said:

1. Is there any multicore support in SB? If so how many cores can the engine handle?

2. What framerate can i expect with my rig? 

AMD 3950x

32GB Ram 3600Mhz

Nvidia 2080ti

Playing @1440p

3. Is there a vehicle list that are up to date? (Current version vehicle list)

4. Any roadmap for the sim?

5. Can you make your own senarios with SB PE or do you need classroom version for that?

6. How do you buy the classroom version (SB Professional) and pricing? Cant find it in web shop.

7. Can i buy Steel Beasts Pro PE Classic License

and then buy a secondary licens for 25$ and play with my friend over the internet?

  1. Any multicore support? Yes. How many the engine can handle? When it does, all of them. .

    The problem is, it's not using parallelization all of the time, but your machine will cut down tremendously on scenario loading times.

  2. Very good ones, unless you insist on maxing out all the settings even when it makes no sense. Examples: Ground clutter objects can bring every graphics cards to its knees, and applying a high full-screen antialiasing factor while you're also playing at a high screen resolution is rather wasteful anyway.

  3. It hasn't changed dramatically from version 4.0 except for the many new Russian prototypes with their active protection systems. See the images below for reference.

  4. Yes, but it isn't public.

  5. Yes, the necessary authoring tools are included

  6. You don't, it's export controlled.

  7. YES!

Overview over the units in SB Pro. Grey means: Now crew positions (but you can still direct it from the observer's position).

4-0_New2.JPG


4-0_New3.JPG


4-0_New4.JPG


4-0_New5.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'll look when I get home but my machine isn't "high end" and I use 1080p.

 

Here may be of use:

 

 

Also I presume you know you can rent the software for something like USD$9.50 and run it for a month to see if it works well on your machine, before buying a full license?

 

👍

10 hours ago, ben said:

 

I'm running a quite similar system but just intel 9900K.

 

It does use multi threads but I dont know the technical details. I see at least 4 cores quite busy (peaking at 50% - 80% load) during a busy scenario.

 

You will get framerates around 50 - 60 fps even with huge scenarios and good view distances.  Dont expect to see framerates in the hundreds in steel beasts regardless of your hardware budget.  But It does play very well at 50 - 60fps!

 

Over the years perfomance and graphics engine have slowly and surely improved massively,  the time frame is years not months you will just need to be patient about updates :)

Sounds good mate!

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

 

  1. Any multicore support? Yes. How many the engine can handle? When it does, all of them. .

    The problem is, it's not using parallelization all of the time, but your machine will cut down tremendously on scenario loading times.

  2. Very good ones, unless you insist on maxing out all the settings even when it makes no sense. Examples: Ground clutter objects can bring every graphics cards to its knees, and applying a high full-screen antialiasing factor while you're also playing at a high screen resolution is rather wasteful anyway.

  3. It hasn't changed dramatically from version 4.0 except for the many new Russian prototypes with their active protection systems. See the images below for reference.

  4. Yes, but it isn't public.

  5. Yes, the necessary authoring tools are included

  6. You don't, it's export controlled.

  7. YES!

 

Overview over the units in SB Pro. Grey means: Now crew positions (but you can still direct it from the observer's position).

4-0_New2.JPG


4-0_New3.JPG


4-0_New4.JPG


4-0_New5.JPG

 

1. Is parallelization something they working on to improve? Because if the manage to fix that ill think we will se some real diffrens in FPS.

2. Sounds good!

3-7. 👍

Thx alot for the help!

 

Seems like an awsome community here and it will be awsome being a part of it!

I really appreciate you guys take your time answer my questions!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the what have someone bought the sim with the printed manual bundle?

Is it worth buying you think?

I mean do you get any good layout papers for diffrent tank you can have on your table so you can se the keybindings and so on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, atrOx said:

By the what have someone bought the sim with the printed manual bundle?

Is it worth buying you think?

I mean do you get any good layout papers for diffrent tank you can have on your table so you can se the keybindings and so on?

There is a key binding document that comes with the download. You can print that out and use it. That is what I did when I was learning the game... 7 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, atrOx said:

By the what have someone bought the sim with the printed manual bundle?

Is it worth buying you think?

I mean do you get any good layout papers for diffrent tank you can have on your table so you can se the keybindings and so on?

I do like the printed manual...but thats a personal choice.

You'll find most important stuff in the Wiki, the release notes or the readme files...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx again guys!

 

Just added 2 more question on topic.

 

Added Question

8. If i buy one licens and for exaple buy 2 secondary licens (25$ version) then the sim make a big update you need to pay for, do i need to upgrade all the other licens to?

9. Are the secondary lincens always connected to my CodeMeter stick forever? Do that mean over time if i want i can buy 7 more secondary licens and i can play with 7 friends online forever if i just upgrade my main licens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added even one more

10. Can i use the secondary licens on diffrent computers? For example: if i play with a friend then i want to play with another friend can the other friend use the same licens? i understand they cant doit it at same time but atleast when they play one at the time?

 

Iam thinking of add 2 secondary licens to my Main licens thats why questions pop up all the time 😃

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, atrOx said:

Added even one more

10. Can i use the secondary licens on diffrent computers? For example: if i play with a friend then i want to play with another friend can the other friend use the same licens? i understand they cant doit it at same time but atleast when they play one at the time?

 

Iam thinking of add 2 secondary licens to my Main licens thats why questions pop up all the time 😃

 

Yes.

 

58 minutes ago, atrOx said:

Thx again guys!

 

Just added 2 more question on topic.

 

Added Question

8. If i buy one licens and for exaple buy 2 secondary licens (25$ version) then the sim make a big update you need to pay for, do i need to upgrade all the other licens to?

9. Are the secondary lincens always connected to my CodeMeter stick forever? Do that mean over time if i want i can buy 7 more secondary licens and i can play with 7 friends online forever if i just upgrade my main licens?

For paid updates, you would have to upgrade your CodeMeter, and then purchase secondary licenses for that version of the software. 

 

You can buy multiple secondary licenses (unsure if there is a max,) but you will have to buy them again if there is a paid update. 

Edited by Mirzayev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Yes.

 

For paid updates, you would have to upgrade your CodeMeter, and then purchase secondary licenses for that version of the software. 

 

You can buy multiple secondary licenses (unsure if there is a max,) but you will have to buy them again if there is a paid update. 

Oki =/ was going to buy a couple more secondary but now i dont know hmm.

thx for the answer.

 

You know when we can expect the next paid update? I mean if i buy a couple of secondary now and in a few month there will be useless thats not to fun.

 

Edit: i assume you need to pay 25$ again for each secondary after paid update?

Edited by atrOx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, atrOx said:

Edit: i assume you need to pay 25$ again for each secondary after paid update?

Yes.

 

I don't know the schedule for major updates, but taking an estimated guess I'd say that it'll be at least another year and a half or so. I'm not involved with the development cycle, so I can't give anything other than speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Yes.

 

I don't know the schedule for major updates, but taking an estimated guess I'd say that it'll be at least another year and a half or so. I'm not involved with the development cycle, so I can't give anything other than speculation. 

Oki thx again! I gonna think what to do until tomorrow before i buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you taken a breath?

 

Just want to know if I should respond to 8 - 10 now or wait until another few pop up? ;)

 

I still think investing USD$9.50 for a month will answer a fair few of your questions.

 

Edited by Gibsonm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q: Is eSim Games working on further parallelization?

A: Yes, we are ... but don't expect miracles. There's limits to what you actually can parallelize retroactively when dealing with a single threaded legacy code. Not every task can be parallelized, and to ensure that every task is "thread safe" (=won't fuck up other tasks while you change application memory somewhere (like in this fine example)) is not always possible, depending on code complexity. Starting from a clean slate would make a lot of things easier, but then you have to redevelop "everything" (which is "quite a lot" in our case).

 

Q: Is the printed manual worth it?

A: Depends on what you're after. First of all, the PDF copy is free, and gets installed with SB Pro PE, so you can always check it out first. Next, the manual does not cover anything that is vehicle-specific. For that we have tutorials, the Wiki, hopefully also some tutorial videos one day. The focus of the user's manual is on everything that you need to know to operate the software itself, not the combat and combat support systems that it simulates. Like, "where are all the files?" "which port must be opened on my router for an internet game session" "why do my tanks stop on an engage route when encountering a lone infantry guy at 4,000m" "how realistic are the simulated results, anyway"

From a purely economical point of view, printing the manual yourself or in a copyshop typically costs you more, doesn't come with proper binding, and has no cover, so if you are playing with the thought of having it printed yourself you should probably order one in our web shop, especially if you're going to order a CodeMeter USB stick anyway. In the early days we simply shipped the manual if you ordered your license, now you have the choice to NOT have one. Choose wisely.

 

Q: Do I need to upgrade secondary licenses? 

A: Not in the sense that you "upgrade" the licenses. You'd upgrade your primary license, then buy new secondary licenses for it $25.- each, yes). So, yes, it'll cost you money, but technically it's not an upgrade in the narrow sense. Secondary licenses will remain on your CodeMeter stick "forever" (in the practical sense, not literally), so, yes, you could buy them one by one and invite more and more friends to play with, over time. Of course, you need to have your computer up and running and partially exposed to the internet for your friends to pull their license which might them make prefer their own, independent license one day. That's our hidden, nefarious agenda. ;)

We believe that this strikes a fair balance between giving your substantially lower costs per license (if you and your seven friends were to throw together the money - $125.- + 7 x $25.- = $300, divided by eight = $37.50 per player), and on the other hand to create an economic incentive for us to fix bugs and to provide you with new extras.

 

Q: Will there be an upgrade soon?

A: Not in 2020, probably not in 2021 either. An update? You bet. A big one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q: Will there be an upgrade soon?

A: Not in 2020, probably not in 2021 either. An update? You bet. A big one.

 

Sounds good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Have you taken a breath?

 

Just want to know if I should respond to 8 - 10 now or wait until another few pop up? ;)

 

I still think investing USD$9.50 for a month will answer a fair few of your questions.

 

Yeah ofc its one option to, ill mayby start with one month or not 😃 still open for suggestions

Love simgames so i will probably buy it right away, i know my self to good 😃 

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Q: Is eSim Games working on further parallelization?

A: Yes, we are ... but don't expect miracles. There's limits to what you actually can parallelize retroactively when dealing with a single threaded legacy code. Not every task can be parallelized, and to ensure that every task is "thread safe" (=won't fuck up other tasks while you change application memory somewhere (like in this fine example)) is not always possible, depending on code complexity. Starting from a clean slate would make a lot of things easier, but then you have to redevelop "everything" (which is "quite a lot" in our case).

 

Q: Is the printed manual worth it?

A: Depends on what you're after. First of all, the PDF copy is free, and gets installed with SB Pro PE, so you can always check it out first. Next, the manual does not cover anything that is vehicle-specific. For that we have tutorials, the Wiki, hopefully also some tutorial videos one day. The focus of the user's manual is on everything that you need to know to operate the software itself, not the combat and combat support systems that it simulates. Like, "where are all the files?" "which port must be opened on my router for an internet game session" "why do my tanks stop on an engage route when encountering a lone infantry guy at 4,000m" "how realistic are the simulated results, anyway"

From a purely economical point of view, printing the manual yourself or in a copyshop typically costs you more, doesn't come with proper binding, and has no cover, so if you are playing with the thought of having it printed yourself you should probably order one in our web shop, especially if you're going to order a CodeMeter USB stick anyway. In the early days we simply shipped the manual if you ordered your license, now you have the choice to NOT have one. Choose wisely.

 

Q: Do I need to upgrade secondary licenses? 

A: Not in the sense that you "upgrade" the licenses. You'd upgrade your primary license, then buy new secondary licenses for it $25.- each, yes). So, yes, it'll cost you money, but technically it's not an upgrade in the narrow sense. Secondary licenses will remain on your CodeMeter stick "forever" (in the practical sense, not literally), so, yes, you could buy them one by one and invite more and more friends to play with, over time. Of course, you need to have your computer up and running and partially exposed to the internet for your friends to pull their license which might them make prefer their own, independent license one day. That's our hidden, nefarious agenda. ;)

We believe that this strikes a fair balance between giving your substantially lower costs per license (if you and your seven friends were to throw together the money - $125.- + 7 x $25.- = $300, divided by eight = $37.50 per player), and on the other hand to create an economic incentive for us to fix bugs and to provide you with new extras.

 

Q: Will there be an upgrade soon?

A: Not in 2020, probably not in 2021 either. An update? You bet. A big one.

 

Q: Is eSim Games working on further parallelization?

A: Yes, we are ... but don't expect miracles. There's limits to what you actually can parallelize retroactively when dealing with a single threaded legacy code. Not every task can be parallelized, and to ensure that every task is "thread safe" (=won't fuck up other tasks while you change application memory somewhere (like in this fine example)) is not always possible, depending on code complexity. Starting from a clean slate would make a lot of things easier, but then you have to redevelop "everything" (which is "quite a lot" in our case).

 

I can imagine the hard work they facing with that task! Respect!

 

Q: Is the printed manual worth it?

 

A: Depends on what you're after. First of all, the PDF copy is free, and gets installed with SB Pro PE, so you can always check it out first. Next, the manual does not cover anything that is vehicle-specific. For that we have tutorials, the Wiki, hopefully also some tutorial videos one day. The focus of the user's manual is on everything that you need to know to operate the software itself, not the combat and combat support systems that it simulates. Like, "where are all the files?" "which port must be opened on my router for an internet game session" "why do my tanks stop on an engage route when encountering a lone infantry guy at 4,000m" "how realistic are the simulated results, anyway"

From a purely economical point of view, printing the manual yourself or in a copyshop typically costs you more, doesn't come with proper binding, and has no cover, so if you are playing with the thought of having it printed yourself you should probably order one in our web shop, especially if you're going to order a CodeMeter USB stick anyway. In the early days we simply shipped the manual if you ordered your license, now you have the choice to NOT have one. Choose wisely.

 

Ill think i decided go with the 125$ version without the printed manual. Thx for your great answer!

 

 

Q: Do I need to upgrade secondary licenses? 

A: Not in the sense that you "upgrade" the licenses. You'd upgrade your primary license, then buy new secondary licenses for it $25.- each, yes). So, yes, it'll cost you money, but technically it's not an upgrade in the narrow sense. Secondary licenses will remain on your CodeMeter stick "forever" (in the practical sense, not literally), so, yes, you could buy them one by one and invite more and more friends to play with, over time. Of course, you need to have your computer up and running and partially exposed to the internet for your friends to pull their license which might them make prefer their own, independent license one day. That's our hidden, nefarious agenda. ;)

We believe that this strikes a fair balance between giving your substantially lower costs per license (if you and your seven friends were to throw together the money - $125.- + 7 x $25.- = $300, divided by eight = $37.50 per player), and on the other hand to create an economic incentive for us to fix bugs and to provide you with new extras.

 

My aim now is to go with the 125$ version + 2 additional secondary licence. The only thing i was a little worried about was if it would be a paid update in short time so i needed to pay it again. But as you have mention there seems to be a while to next paid update. Thx again for your timeinvest of answer my question!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@atrOx

 

Just for your situational awareness, Ssnake is the Director of eSim games. He is definitely the person who knows the most about development. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...