Update for SB in 2022(?)

Scrapper_511

Alright Ssnake, I couldn't keep my hands off my keyboard since you alluded (in atrOx's thread) to a significant update in (maybe) a couple of years. I can't come up with a guess. The 3D world just got revamped, the terrain elevation can now be manipulated, and overpasses with on/off ramps are possible now. Going back just a little further, we got 3D crew, live suspension and improved pyrotechnics. Going back more we got discernible weather and a 24hr environment, and more or less everything is higher res. And always, we get new vehicles. Personally, as a casual user, I just can't find anything wanting from SB anymore. Sure, the Wishlist grows, some things take forever to load, some models are in dire need of an update (i.e. mine plows & rollers), and my personal craving for certain Cold War era vehicles are not available yet, but I doubt you would consider these items significant. You have previously discussed multi-threading and switching to a new graphics engine, which would be a major update, but I speculate these won't come to fruition until way further down the line. You did indicate elsewhere that SB has perhaps reached its halfway mark. Well, SB has been around a long while now and it was going to go over the hill sooner or later, but I'm very glad it's continued to evolve throughout the years and damn glad to be a part of it (as a user). Whatever evolution or revolution is coming to Steel Beasts, I am certainly looking forward to it. Thanks in advance...

• Members

Thanks for the kind words. There may be a misunderstanding, though. I wrote of a "significant update" (not upgrade) (and this year, not 2022), so it's not going to revolutionize everything. Still, more than a patch, and more than just a patch with a token feature addition. 😎

• Members

Just to clarify the wording - 4.161 was an upgrade to previous versions, we charged classic license owners money for it.

All the versions since last August were patches - free bugfixes, no new features.

Updates are in between. Mostly bugfixes, free of charge, and with some new features.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 3:10 AM, Scrapper_511 said:

Alright Ssnake, I couldn't keep my hands off my keyboard since you alluded (in atrOx's thread) to a significant update in (maybe) a couple of years. I can't come up with a guess. The 3D world just got revamped, the terrain elevation can now be manipulated, and overpasses with on/off ramps are possible now. ...

Love the ability to play with elevations and even make overpasses. I included a screenshot of a practical example  :)

RR overpass .jpg

20 hours ago, Wax Savage said:

Love the ability to play with elevations and even make overpasses. I included a screenshot of a practical example  :)

Nice! And IIRC there are now indicators as to where the support pillars will be positioned. Very handy when lining up roads under the overpasses.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

No, we've always been working from home offices and, fortunately, none of the team so far has caught the bug (for all that we know, there could always be asymptomatic cases of course).

The major uncertainty about the release date has been resolved. I expect something in late autumn, but well before Christmas.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:22 PM, Ssnake said:

No, we've always been working from home offices and, fortunately, none of the team so far has caught the bug (for all that we know, there could always be asymptomatic cases of course).

The major uncertainty about the release date has been resolved. I expect something in late autumn, but well before Christmas.

Great news! Looking Forward to the release.