Steelbeasts.com

Two possible bugs in Pro PE 4.167

1.  In the Bradley, after I have fired some APDS rounds, (the ammo you get when you press the Insert key), and then I choose Reload All from the Vehicle drop down menu it says "Prepare to load missile", even though missiles are already fully loaded.  The turret turns to almost the missile loading position but not completely.  It does not load a missile, but on the screen it says that it is loading APDS rounds, but it is not loading anything.  I wait too long for it load, and then I did Accelerate Time and still nothing loaded.   I stopped reloading and then selected for it to specifically load APDS and the turret turned to the correct position and loaded APDS rounds as expected.

2.  In the Bradley, set a route, embark on route.  Some distance later I command vehicle to stop while in route.  I switch to another unit using Alt F10.  Vehicle resumes route even though it was not told to do so.  The route was either Engage or March, but I cannot remember which.

In case it matters, this happened in the "Tanks!" scenario for the M3A2.

#2, it's a feature. If you teleport to a different unit, in the absence of other orders a unit will resume the old path. IOW, it's not enough to give it the order to stop. The (greyed out) path to the next waypoint must be deleted/replaced by different orders.

45 minutes ago, MisterCommander said:

1.  In the Bradley, after I have fired some APDS rounds, (the ammo you get when you press the Insert key), and then I choose Reload All from the Vehicle drop down menu it says "Prepare to load missile", even though missiles are already fully loaded.  The turret turns to almost the missile loading position but not completely.  It does not load a missile, but on the screen it says that it is loading APDS rounds, but it is not loading anything.  I wait too long for it load, and then I did Accelerate Time and still nothing loaded.   I stopped reloading and then selected for it to specifically load APDS and the turret turned to the correct position and loaded APDS rounds as expected.

-This one is known issue :(

45 minutes ago, MisterCommander said:

2.  In the Bradley, set a route, embark on route.  Some distance later I command vehicle to stop while in route.  I switch to another unit using Alt F10.  Vehicle resumes route even though it was not told to do so.  The route was either Engage or March, but I cannot remember which.

-This is intended  behavior; if you need a unit, which is following route, to stop and remain static while you are jumping to some other place, then before abandoning  your current unit you need to use 'Engage' command('E' hotkey), or to change route speed settings to 'Halt'. Other alternative is to delete route.

Thanks for the workaround on #2.

Number 2 working as designed, but I disagree with this design.  I would expect the vehicle to follow the last order given, not the first, when I turn my back.

I am not in the military, so perhaps this is military protocol that I am not familiar with, but it does not operate as expected, which is different than design.

Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, MisterCommander said:

Thanks for the workaround on #2.

Number 2 working as designed, but I disagree with this design.  I would expect the vehicle to follow the last order given, not the first, when I turn my back.

But I think that's the point you didn't, in sim terms anyway, "give it an order" (new route, tactic, etc.).

You just momentarily paused its progress while executing the order you gave it.

Edited by Gibsonm
1 hour ago, MisterCommander said:

Number 2 working as designed, but I disagree with this design. 

I am not in the military, so perhaps this is military protocol that I am not familiar with, but it does not operate as expected, which is different than design.

It's not necessarily a "military thing" but the question is, what use case did we have in mind when implementing this feature. If a player needs to handle multiple platoons, he's "by definition" overworked (at least in real life, as a platoon leader you are usually beyond the task saturation point already). So the idea is that "typically" the player would quickly check the situation of his unit, the hopping to the next. So either you are the fireman who puts out little and big fires everywhere as they emerge, or you're rotating through your units to make sure that they generally follow the plan (as expressed in routes, battle positions, embark conditions, fire orders).

Now, there will be situations when you need to deviate. A platoon moving from waypoint n to waypoint n+m suddenly comes under fire, you press Alt+F11 to get there, and perform your contact battle drill. Hopefully you emerge victorious, and the next unit already reports trouble. In this situation we assume that you want to resume old orders unless new orders are given that are not of a temporary nature. "Not of a temporary nature" are the deletion of routes, their replacement by new routes, the change of orders of an existing route (such as speed settings). If you just give orders through hotkeys, units will resume old orders as soon as you leave.

These are "the rules of the game". Maybe you would define the rule set differently, But we had to decide for an option, and this was the one we picked.

@MisterCommander FYSA

On a related issue, if you do chose to start moving a given vehicle a sizable distance (via the W, A, X, D keys, etc.) please ensure you look back at the map.

If you have driven the vehicle away from the earlier plotted route, you'll see a light grey line leading from the unit's current location (after you took over) back to its plotted location.

If left unattended, or not given an new route or tactic, the vehicle will revert to moving back along the grey line from whence it came.