Questions about Upgrading to 4.167?

trek

Just came back to SB after a two-year hiatus and recently installed my old 3.025 version on a new PC. I'm interested in purchasing the new upgrade. Will all the old scenarios work with the upgrade and do they take advantage of the new graphics improvements? Also I assume that the multi-part maps download files as part of the new install are mandatory for running the current version? Are there any other major differences that I should be aware of as a casual player? I've read the latest release notes but just asking here in case I missed anything pertinent.

• Members
5 hours ago, trek said:

Just came back to SB after a two-year hiatus and recently installed my old 3.025 version on a new PC. I'm interested in purchasing the new upgrade. Will all the old scenarios work with the upgrade and do they take advantage of the new graphics improvements?

"In principle, Yes" and "Yes".

Also I assume that the multi-part maps download files as part of the new install are mandatory for running the current version?

Yes!

Are there any other major differences that I should be aware of as a casual player? I've read the latest release notes but just asking here in case I missed anything pertinent.

Hard to say since what's important also lies in no small part in the eye of the beholder. Is the new HE model a big deal or a gradual improvement? Good arguments can be made for either opinion.

My answer is probably a bit too short to be useful. I'll be happy to elaborate but I'm rather tired now and a bit behind with work, so I'll come back to the thiread later.

Wow! 4.167 is like a quantum leap from my old 3.025! I'm sorry I didn't upgrade sooner. So much  more immersive. Additionally the entire install process is very intuitive and streamlined now.  I may go from a casual to hard-core player as I'm really enjoying getting back into SB.

I'm also realizing that I've got some homework to do regarding being able to play many of my old scenarios. Previously I've never done anything at all with maps. Perusing the support and maps forums here it looks like there are some documented steps I need to take to DL and install maps to be able to play the aforementioned scenarios. I'll get to work on these but I may ask for help here if I have any problems. 

All the same you guys have done a wonderful job with SB!

• Members

Well, that escalated quickly. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, I passed them on to the team. Many scenarios may still work "out of the box" with the automatic replacement that version 4.1 can do under the right circumstances. But of course, once that you have a scenario that is built on a custom map, to run it you would need to have the original map converted. There are several ways to do this, which we tried to describe in the user's manual.

Here's two help threads that you may find useful:

and

Thanks SSnake for the reply and info. I've already read some of that post you've provided. I found the location of the map files with the packages, deltas, etc. Just now loaded one map that was required for a mission that now works. So, I'm on my way in learning all the new procedures. It's great that you guys provided all these tools to enable us to use our old stuff in the new version of SB.

Sorry about that typo on your handle Ssnake.  I've got a question about my Joystick setup. I'm using a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro and I've got all the buttons (1-4 are hard-coded I know) mapped and the JS handle axes are working perfectly. However I'm trying to assign the throttle lever on the base to control the speed of the tank. Under the (Accel) window I changed the assignment from Y to Z and it shows it working in the config screen but it is not functioning in-game. Do I also need to make changes for the throttle under the (Brake) and (Wheel) windows? I must be missing something obvious here.

• Members

You may need to configure the joystick axis assignments. Below is a screenshot for my T.16000 stick with a twist grip (R axis) and throttle control (Z axis).

Ctrls_Axes.gif

As a caveat, signal input in Steel Beasts is often context sensitive. Nobody except for the driver (duh) has driving controls. We let you still sorta-kinda steer the tank with keyboard commands which we rationalize as "directions to the driver". Could well be that even if you assign the throttle axis to acceleration/brake it still won't work because of this, except while you're in the driver's position. In that case I'd declare it as a feature, not a bug.