Can my old Dell XPS run the game ?

Dave1967

Hello everybody, quick question, I’ve an old Dell XPS 720 pc 

it’s a 2.4 quad core 6600 cpu 

and I’ve a GeForce gtx 550 ti graphics card .

I can play Steel Armour Blaze of War fine no problems  .

Am I ok with this clunky old pc 🤦🏼‍♂️😉 or is it finally time to part with some cash 😩

thanks in advance . 

Well, it depends... Nominally your computer more or less fits minimal system requirements listed here:

https://www.esimgames.com/?post_type=elementor-popup&p=1160

...But in practical terms all depends of your graphics settings,  terrain detail distance rendering settings, scale of scenarios  and many other  variables. Also , when it comes to gaming, everyone has his own zone of comfort... Probably the best option is to pick 1 month time-limited license and give it a try before making more costly decisions.

P.S. Please make sure that you are running 64-bit version of Windows.

• Members

By disabling most of the graphics effects even old clunkers can still be used. Whether you're willing to sacrifice lighting and shadow effects for better framerates is a question that no forum debate can answer. Also, scenario loading times will greatly benefit from faster multi-core CPUs (arguably the biggest tangible effect with Steel Beasts, right now). But again, sure, "faster is better" but so is being able to save money by using an old computer a bit longer. So I agree with the above, the safest method to know is to try it out.

11 minutes ago, Dave1967 said:

Thanks a lot 😊,I’m an ex tanker BAOR 84-89 Chieftain was my beast of choice , loved every minute of my time on those tanks . Will give this a go . 

Warning: Chieftain has no crew positions modelled in SB.

The Challenger2 is "partially" modelled...und fun to play

hi ive downloaded everything , got my license .have installed map transfer , maps . when i try to install SB it fails stating i need windows kb 2999226 . i have uninstalled then re installed succsesfully but still get the same error ?

any thoughts .

hi that was quick , yes ive done that ,like i said went on my update history and uninstalled previous , then reinstalled ..succsesfully  then when itry to re load SB a message box comes up saying i need to install it ? 

said it was an old pc 😄

Hi there

I know Hedgehog and Tankanator told you it can run but There is a tiny little thing they haven't told you and that is that if you play multiplayer it does not(Sometimes) run smoothly  and it drags everybody's game down as well and gives de sink problems when a guy with a very old computer joins. 
Our games after Hedgehog got a new pc have had a lot fewer problems with de sink and i dont know how many times i have had Tankenators tank being de sinked driving into the other tanks in the platoon.
So there is a little tiny "but" but you can run and it wassent every-time too be fair.
But try it your velcome just as well as Hedgehog and Tankenator have been all the time +6 years with us just be prepare that sometimes it will act up.

Hope for the best

MD

• Members

So, you installed Steel Beasts, then got the error message about KB2999226 (C runtime update), then downloaded and installed that Windows hotfix (twice?), and you still get the error message?

In that case, maybe something couldn't be installed right while the C runtime update wasn't there (probably one of the libraries that we licensed for SB Pro 4.1).

So, yes, I think the next logical step should be to uninstall just Steel Beasts (you can keep the map packages as they are), and then to install SB Pro PE again.

• Members

If you still get the error, please make a screenshot of the error message (Win+Print creates a file in the ..\Images\Screenshots folder, or use Alt+Print to push a screenshot to the clipboard; you'd still need to paste it into, say, Photoshop or some other image processing software and save it as a separate file), and send it to me by email; please include a link to this thread in your email so I can make the connection what it is about. I'll then have a chat with the programmers.

4 minutes ago, Dave1967 said:

good to know , will get the hang of it in single player first ( if i ever get it running ) im a tight arsed yorkshire man who wont spend owt 😉

Your loss sir it is so much better as multiplayer and its so much easier to learn while playing with others.

Best regards

MD

3 hours ago, Major duck said:

Hi there

I know Hedgehog and Tankanator told you it can run but There is a tiny little thing they haven't told you and that is that if you play multiplayer it does not(Sometimes) run smoothly  and it drags everybody's game down as well and gives de sink problems when a guy with a very old computer joins. 
Our games after Hedgehog got a new pc have had a lot fewer problems with de sink and i dont know how many times i have had Tankenators tank being de sinked driving into the other tanks in the platoon.
So there is a little tiny "but" but you can run and it wassent every-time too be fair.
But try it your velcome just as well as Hedgehog and Tankenator have been all the time +6 years with us just be prepare that sometimes it will act up.

Hope for the best

MD

In my instance that occured when I had put the computer in "Sleep" or "Hibernate" and not restarted before joining multiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...