How do I take/secure the bridge in the Government Action scenario??

MisterCommander

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes...

I am playing the Government Action v3C scenario and the objective is to secure the bridge from the the reds.  For someone who has only been playing for a year, that is not enough detailed instruction for me, so my question is, how?

There is no button that says "click here to secure/take bridge", so what do I have to do specifically, or what conditions do I have to create for me to have "secured the bridge"?

The bridge is at the edge of a town which is loaded with reds who will shoot at you if you go on the bridge or go into the town, so just parking a tank on the bridge did not work in any sense.  Do I have to literally wipe the town clean of all reds, or is there something specific that I need to do for the bridge to be taken/secured?

22 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

When I play it I consider it secured when there are no more insurgents left in the town.  

Thanks, Cav.

One thing that it pointed out to me, is that I have low skills in sweeping the vermin out of a town.  You or anyone, have any advice on how to clean up a town without losing 95% of my units before it's done?  Is there a tutorial or a methodology or set of principles to follow?

Fighting in a built up area (FIBUA) or Urban Ops is one of the most complex operations you can undertake.

I'm not familiar with the scenario (in terms of the terrain, OPFOR, BLUEFOR, Rules of Engagement, etc.) but the usual Combined Arms approach is probably what you need.

Infantry clearing buildings (ack the less than ideal Infantry modelling)

AFVs following providing overwatch / intimate support whilst avoiding ATGMs / RPGs

An element providing fire support.

Use of smoke to screen your advance (esp. if you have TI  / NVG and the enemy doesn't)

Engineers on hand to reduce wire obstacles - although it sounds like its an older scenario perhaps created before wire was in the game?

Artillery to engage depth targets.

Then after that its a slow slog, building by building, block by block.

Suppressing / fixing the opposition, assaulting the building, clearing the building, securing the building and then moving on.

If you just charge in, expect to get a bloody nose.

28 minutes ago, MisterCommander said:

Is there a tutorial or a methodology or set of principles to follow?

Unfortunately there is no "cookie cutter" solution. You need to adapt the strengths of whatever units you own to the situation. E.g. apart from the above its its day or night or how much time you have may markedly change the plan.

This is why it takes X years to train a combat arms Officer so they have an understanding of how to employ different assets in different situations.

Edited by Gibsonm

8 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Unfortunately there is no "cookie cutter" solution. You need to adapt the strengths of whatever units you own to the situation. E.g. apart from the above its its day or night or how much time you have may markedly change the plan.

That is what I was afraid of.  I will keep playing it.  It will certainly be a good exercise to see what works and what does not.

I think I will approach from multiple sides and plink in from the outside slowly closing in deeper and deeper.  The sce has some mortars and 3 arty tubes, but my experience is that arty has a kill rate of about 10% against infantry.  At least mine does anyway.  Great for smoke though.

1 minute ago, Gibsonm said:

It maybe late at night for you now (no idea where you are) but happy to set up a Teamspeak / Teamviewer meeting to discuss the specifics for the scenario as opposed to generalities.

I am in the New York time zone.  Getting ready for TGIF.  We can chat there some if you are attending, otherwise I will have to schedule another time.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Ah OK. I'm in Australia (GMT + 10)

I can be on Teamspeak say an hour prior to TGIF (I may or may not be attending TGIF itself) - roughly 90mins from "now?

Hopefully an hour is long enough??

Okay.  I think I can make that.  I am GMT -4 these days.  Probably won't need an hour though, as I can only absorb so much at one time.

Slight problem.

I download the scenario and of course I don't have the blessed legacy map! :(

I'll keep trying to find it but in any case we can still proceed - I'll just probably ask you to share your screen and I'll talk to that instead of me sharing mine.

Alternatively either:

a. I can open it in 4.023 or

b. Perhaps you can upload the converted map package prior to our starting.

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the map.

I'm now converting the old downloaded scenario.

The problem is I need the scenario I'm using to match whatever Mistercommander has.

There is no point in me saying "use this hill" if there is a hill in my / your scenario, but not in the scenario he is using.

It doesn't matter - I've spent / wasted too much time on it already.

I have no intention of playing it, I only downloaded it so I could talk to you.

I have it open in 4.023 and that's sufficient for my needs.

Assuming what you see aligns with the lower screenshot above we are fine.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators
On 6/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, Gibsonm said:

I really hate how an offer to help turns into X hours work fighting the software.

Don't blame the software because someone forgot to publish a map.  It happens. 

There are conditions that avoid this built into the software; the map is not allowed to be "packaged" for deployment to a server if it is unpublished (an error will occur). However if someone is sharing the files manually then its always a possibility that the map can be unpublished by accident.