Question about multiple views on the same PC

DanTDBV

Is it possible to have a host install and 1 or 2 client install/s, with separate settings running on the same machine, so the client/s automatically hook up to the host when a scenario is started and restarted?

I am thinking maybe something like using the client link like DOSBOX uses or even a batchfile for each client install.

Here is an excample of a DOSBOX link:
Destination: "C:\GOG Games\Star Wars - TIE Fighter CD (1995)\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox_tiecd.conf" -conf "..\dosbox_tiecd_single.conf" -noconsole -c "exit"

Start in: "c:\gog games\star wars - tie fighter cd (1995)\DOSBOX"

I would also like to know if it is possible with version 3.028. (We are using this in the GHRVPK simulator as the PC is not powerful enough to run 4.167.)

For my HomePC I use:

A host install for the full range of views running on my center screen

A client install running the external view on my left screen

A client install running the map view on my right screen

For the GHRVPK simulator I use:

A host install for the gunners view sent to 2 screens

A client install for the external view sent to 2 screens

I have 2 screens inside the turret and 2 outside on the back.

The way I get this to work at this time is very cumbersome.

I will use the GHRVPK sim as an example

Using the screens inside, I start up the SB host install and the SB client install. I go into the host control setup and ensure that either Joystick or Controller is enabled.

Go into multiplayer, chooses scenario and set it up for clients to join.

Shift to the client and go into the client control setup and ensure that Joystick or Controller is disabled. (This is so that the external view does not move with the grip inputs.) Go into multiplayer and join the scenario.

I have not done this since February, so I can’t remember the further steps exactly at this time, but it goes something like this:

Shifting focus back to host and start the scenario, then quickly change to the gunner sight view and the daysight and make turret rotation speed faster.

I use Actual Windows Manager to shift the client windows to their respective screens.

Now that I am getting 4 screens on the simulator it has become a little easier, as I no longer have to stop and re prepare the scenario again on the host, move the client view back to the Gunner screen, stop the scenario and join again, move it back to the platform screen, shift focus to host and start again.

Have a nice weekend

Happy Simming

Depending on the performance of your machine you can have at least two.

1. A network session with the machine acting as a Host.

2. A "Client"  [make sure the client has a different username to the Host] connecting to the Host on the same machine.

I guess you could try a 3rd if you had a Cray or something.

As for the "settings" part I suspect not as I believe they access a common set - I guess it all depends on which settings you are talking about? Perhaps try it and see?

They wont automatically connect - they act just like every other Network session.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Automatizing this on the same computer is going to be difficult (="probably impossible"), since many settings are stored in a common options file. Other than that, much of what you're asking for is possible with the classroom version, but not with SB Pro PE. Also, most of this we developed well after version 3.0. I suppose we'll have to donate you a few semi-up-to-date computers.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:35 AM, Gibsonm said:

Depending on the performance of your machine you can have at least two.

1. A network session with the machine acting as a Host.

2. A "Client"  [make sure the client has a different username to the Host] connecting to the Host on the same machine.

I guess you could try a 3rd if you had a Cray or something.

As for the "settings" part I suspect not as I believe they access a common set - I guess it all depends on which settings you are talking about? Perhaps try it and see?

They wont automatically connect - they act just like every other Network session.

Thank you Gibsonm.

On my AMD FX8350 with 32GB ram and GTX1070 and GTX970 I have had a host and 2 clients running.

For my use it is really only the Joystick and Controller enabled or disabled settings. They need to be disabled on the client running the Observer view, so it doesen't spin with the controller movements.

I thought so. Well it never hurts to ask.

Edited by DanTDBV

On 6/21/2020 at 8:49 AM, Ssnake said:

Automatizing this on the same computer is going to be difficult (="probably impossible"), since many settings are stored in a common options file. Other than that, much of what you're asking for is possible with the classroom version, but not with SB Pro PE. Also, most of this we developed well after version 3.0. I suppose we'll have to donate you a few semi-up-to-date computers.

Thank you Ssnake.

Tuesday I got our current Simulator system up and running with 4 screens and Sunday is going to be dedicated to get SB to run with 2 views on those 4 screens. I know that the PC is capable of it as I have had a host and a client running on it with 2 screens working. I will also be playing around with the impotent settings for the enemy’s in the Gunner scenario.

"Automatizing this on the same computer is going to be difficult (="probably impossible"), since many settings are stored in a common options file. Other than that, much of what you're asking for is possible with the classroom version, but not with SB Pro PE."

I was suspecting that that would be the answer and I can work with that. I mainly asked in case that I had missed a couple of options for easing the workflow, before I do a How I do multiple screens and views for SB tutorial.

"Also, most of this we developed well after version 3.0. I suppose we'll have to donate you a few semi-up-to-date computers."

I don’t know where to put myself and I have a very hard time expressing my gratitude.

We would be very grateful for a computer donation to the GHRVPK simulator.

I am thinking it would be okay with just one computer. I now know how to work with it and I can do a guide, so my fellow GHRVPK’ers can learn it to.

There is also the available space in the turret to consider and as I am using 2 PC’s with a KVM switch system both at work and at home, I also know how much extra work that can create especially when troubleshooting.

There are also the temptation of many keys and buttons to curious fingers to keep in mind.

If it could have a second free PCIe 16 slot and a free PCIe 1 slot, the 1GB ATI Radeon and 2 GB GT 710 card’s from our existing computer could be used to run 2 of the 4 screens we have.

Have a great day

Happy Simming