Is SB Pro PE 4.1x compatible with 3 curved monitors?

IamKirk

Running SB Pro PE 4.167.

I have recently purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC. (waiting on delivery)

I am considering running 3 curved monitors at 1080p resolution for a wider field of vision and a to get some side vision on the periphery rather than just straight ahead view.

I am wondering if the SB software is capable of this, or is there something that will present a problem with this and make me wish I had not spent the money on it.  Not sure if the SB software has to be written in a such a way as to allow this or support this, or if I can rely on my video hardware and software alone to achieve the proper viewing angles.

I am concerned about distortion on the sides.  The monitors will be curved and supposedly designed for a surround setup.  It is my understanding the GTX 1080 driver and card understand a curved monitor setup and are supposed to provide this type of view without distortion, but I do not want to assume that this would be compatible with the SB software.  Please correct me if I am mistaken here.

The URL below is an example of side distortion.  See the 8:50 time mark.  This is an older video and he is using flat monitors which explains some of the distortion.  Using 3 curved monitors though, it is possible to get a correct smooth viewing arc in the physical world.  The distortion in the video is quite significant and he probably does not have them at a steep enough angle for a flat monitor.

Yep, SB looks great on my 49 inch 5120x1440 curved screen. There is some fisheye effect, but that applies to all games, not just SB. In certain situations the 32:9 aspect ratio can lead to some vertical cropping of the view, but it is easily remedied by running in windowed mode, you can adjust the aspect ratio and resolution to anything you want.

DBoy

7 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

In that case, surely its just a matter of plugging the monitor in, firing it up and having a look?

I have not bought the monitors yet, so I cannot do that.  I did not want to spend the money if it was not going to work.

However, I have decided that instead of 3 monitors that I would get one 21:9 curved monitor.  That should work regardless.

2 minutes ago, IamKirk said:

I have not bought the monitors yet, so I cannot do that.  I did not want to spend the money if it was not going to work.

However, I have decided that instead of 3 monitors that I would get one 21:9 curved monitor.  That should work regardless.

Ah my mistake.

dlad and Major Duck, thanks for the reply.  After further research I have decided to go with a large single monitor.

The 49" just looks so big to me.  Wow.  I think I will go with the 21:9 aspect ratio.  I think it is 34".

7 hours ago, dlad said:

Yep, SB looks great on my 49 inch 5120x1440 curved screen. There is some fisheye effect, but that applies to all games, not just SB. In certain situations the 32:9 aspect ratio can lead to some vertical cropping of the view, but it is easily remedied by running in windowed mode, you can adjust the aspect ratio and resolution to anything you want.

DBoy

Thanks for the reply.  Which video card are you using?

10 hours ago, Major duck said:

well it handles a 49 inch curved well so try it out

MD

For basic computer use like desktop and web browsers can you adjust the amount of screen?  Not sure I would like having my desktop and menus spread across 49 inches.

7 hours ago, dlad said:

DBoy

One other question, nearer to the edges do you see what is more beside you, or do you see just further off into the front distance?

For example, right now as I face directly at my flat monitor I can see, in my periphery, a piece of furniture to my left that is almost 90 degrees from my current viewing direction.  That is directly off my left shoulder.

Or do you only see further in front of you at about 45 degrees to the left and right in the monitor?

4 hours ago, IamKirk said:

For basic computer use like desktop and web browsers can you adjust the amount of screen?  Not sure I would like having my desktop and menus spread across 49 inches.

TI 1080 with 11 GB

MD

16 hours ago, IamKirk said:

One other question, nearer to the edges do you see what is more beside you, or do you see just further off into the front distance?

For example, right now as I face directly at my flat monitor I can see, in my periphery, a piece of furniture to my left that is almost 90 degrees from my current viewing direction.  That is directly off my left shoulder.

Or do you only see further in front of you at about 45 degrees to the left and right in the monitor?

For most 3D games wide aspect ratios do actually increase the Field of View.

You can probably find most of the answers to your questions on the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/

Ultrawide can be impressive for productivity, content creation and gaming, but it is not explicitly supported by a lot of titles and your mileage may vary.

Specifically in relation to SB, although there is no explicit ultrawide or 4k support, both Major Duck and I run ultrawide monitors with decent graphics cards (5700XT here) and are happy with the result, but it's all subjective really.

DBoy

Edited by dlad

I have 3 monitors. Not curved but 3. 5760x1080 resolution. I cannot put SB in that resolution because FOV is too zoomed in. The only way I did was to put in a window mode and crop the full 5760x1080 to something like 2560x1080. That way the fov is more friendly to me, specially inside the tanks. But there are some of them (bmp2, t72 commander possition) that still are too zoomed in. Of course I can play 1920x1080, but that is the same as asking something to watch a cinema movie in a squared old TV.

So an option to increase the FOV in future would be nice, but maybe that is imposible because sight aim calibrations

Another thing I would like to add is again the option to have full trackir 6 axis support.

Thanks to all commenters.  When I have the money I will go for a single curved wide screen .

My needed power supply is not expected to be delivered until next week, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can evaluate the upgraded video card.  Getting a used GTX 1080 SC.

Thanks again.

• Members

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the thought. It's just that in order to make it work, a LOT of work needs to be invested, and I'm skeptical if the results will justify the effort.

• Step 1, invent/adopt a render engine that can reliably deliver a steady 90 frames per second, per eye, in high resolution. We'll do that with 5.0, but it'll take a while.
  • Step 2, VR is obviously wonderful if you're inside the tank, looking around. Until you notice all the surfaces that we removed to optimize the polycount from a number of fixed locations. With 6DOF movement you will start spotting them.
    Should we fix all that?
    This would amount to redoing all the interiors, without getting paid (IOW, we could do this only at a slow pace, so initially only very few vehicles would be VR enabled).
  • Step 3, if you're the vehicle commander or the driver, while you're not looking into sights, VR is glorious. But the driver's position is not the focus of this simulation, and if you're just admiring the beautiful tank interiors you're doing it wrong, and the virtual enemy will deliver virtual death to you quickly. IOW, the moments where VR works best are arguably least important to your actual gameplay. Should we then change the gameplay to accommodate the few with VR goggle better?
  • Step 4, there's the challenge to operate the instruments inside your virtual tank. VR without data gloves or some other pointing device will be useless. Sure, there's products like Manus VR which not only allows you to point at things but also to get tactile feedback if you click a button. But these are still expensive.
  • Step 5: With VR goggles on, you can't properly use your keyboard anymore. Boom, about 120 hotkeys that you're accustomed to are now GONE and need to be substituted somehow. 3D Gesture Tracking? Voice Recognition? Maybe all these can contribute towards a solution but don't believe for a second that they will work faster and as precise as pressing a single hotkey.

People tend to see the "glorious" aspect, and I agree that it is tempting. But there's a looong tail of tasks and challenges that need to be solved which, while we're concentrating on these, will prevent us from working on other stuff. So these opportunity costs need to be taken into account as well. And when I do all that, my conclusion is that under the prevailing conditions it's just not worth it.