How to get bridge and road to meet in height?

IamKirk

I am editing a road and a bridge in AS Desert terrain and I notice that the road and bridge are not at the exact same height and there is a bump. 

How do I get the road and bridge to meet at the same level height?

The bridge is an object and can be selected.

Open the map in the Map Editor.

Save it with a new name (to avoid ruining the original map).

Click on the bridge.

Select one of the end points and drag it to make it longer.

Look in the 3D world to see if the adjustment makes sense / fixes the issue.

Save the map.

Repeat the cycle until you are happy.

Publish the map as a new "delta"

Open the Mission Editor and update the map to reflect the fact that you are using the new one.

I've not messed around with ramps.

8 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

The bridge is an object and can be selected.

Open the map in the Map Editor.

Save it with a new name (to avoid ruining the original map).

Click on the bridge.

Select one of the end points and drag it to make it longer.

Look in the 3D world to see if the adjustment makes sense / fixes the issue.

Save the map.

Repeat the cycle until you are happy.

Publish the map as a new "delta"

Open the Mission Editor and update the map to reflect the fact that you are using the new one.

I've not messed around with ramps.

Sorry.  I should have been more specific.  I needed to know how to do the ramp, but I will play around with it and see what I can get.

Thanks.

• Members

Select the road leading to the bridge. Hold Alt or Ctrl or Shift (one of the three, don't remember which) to turn the mouse into a cutting tool (scissor icon), then cut the last 20m or so leading to the bridge edge. And, of course, cut that road right at the beginning of the bridge. Select the segment again, now go to Edit... Raise Road. This will pop up a window where you should switch to absolute heights, and then you adjust the elevation for the point under the bridge. That could be the end point (no green tip) or the start point of the road (green tip), so depending on the orientation you need to lower the one under the bridge. Reduce the height by 10 or 20cm, click OK, then have a look at the result. If in doubt, undo, then try again. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

:)

1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Select the road leading to the bridge. Hold Alt or Ctrl or Shift (one of the three, don't remember which) to turn the mouse into a cutting tool (scissor icon), then cut the last 20m or so leading to the bridge edge. And, of course, cut that road right at the beginning of the bridge. Select the segment again, now go to Edit... Raise Road. This will pop up a window where you should switch to absolute heights, and then you adjust the elevation for the point under the bridge. That could be the end point (no green tip) or the start point of the road (green tip), so depending on the orientation you need to lower the one under the bridge. Reduce the height by 10 or 20cm, click OK, then have a look at the result. If in doubt, undo, then try again. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

:)

Thanks.  got it.

But there is still an issue.  The land under the road is slanted.  That is, the left side of the road is lower than the right side by about 30cm.  Just a guess of the exact amount using the naked eye.  If I raise or lower the road, the slant is still there.  It is now just higher or lower.  It is off by so much that the right side of the road or land is higher than the bridge's road surface, and the lower side is so low that it exposes the bridge's construction edges and rebar.

Is there a way to level the road and or the ground under the road?  The bridge seem to be level width-wise, but that will never mate correctly with ground that is not level.

I tried the "Level selected road", but I could not tell that it did anything and it certainly did not improve the out of level of the road way.  Still a big ole slant to the left.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, widen the road shoulder.

Nope. Still did not work.  I tried everything I could and everything you said.

I set the shoulder to the max and still no effect on removing the slant.  The slant wins.  It is unbeatable with this version of the software.  I can adjust how high or how low the slant is, but not the angle or how level it is.

To resolve the issue, I lowered the road near the bridge to put all of the problem area well beneath it, and then I extended the bridge further down the road until I found level ground.

Thanks.

@IamKirk

Seems you have it figured out, but i will say that in my experience, messing around with any of the road leveling/raising features tends to be very time and patience intensive. Also results in very large files, and often hangs the software or crashes my PC. For the issue of a bridge not meeting the road neatly i would agree that shifting the road and bridge somewhere else is a much better idea. I tend to look at the terrain in 3D view and find a spot where the ground either side of the water is at a gentle slope and the same height on both sides. Also, when replacing an unsatisfactory bridge, i would recommend against 'placing' bridges, and find it best to:

1) delete the bridge

2) move the roads to a better location (you will have a gap in the road now)

3) rejoin/merge the roads

4) in the edit menu at top of page select 'bridge roads'

5) take a look in the 3D world and repeat if needed

And another thing! The terrain in the map editor doesnt always look how it does in the sce editor, which may be different again to what you see when actually playing the scenario.

So in the case of a bridge and road not being neat; if its only a minor misalignment that doesnt look like it will stop units from driving over the bridge (vehicles are surprisingly tolerant of big chunks of concrete with reo-bar poking out of it, it looks worse than it is usually)- dont worry about it. :)