How does the T-72 use the engine to release smoke and how to reload 12.7mm antiaircraft machine gun ammunition?

T-72

Hi all

(1) In the game,I see friendly forces T-72 can use the engine to release smoke, what key can I press to let my tank also release smoke like this?

t1.thumb.jpg.bd84bd069f50d61d9c75d944e1fa555a.jpg

(2) For the 12.7mm antiaircraft machine gun at the TC position, what key should be pressed to reload the ammunition?

THANKS.

For me, I use SHIFT-Tab to launch smoke grenades.

For engine smoke I just use Tab to toggle on/off.

In game you can pull up a list of key commands by pressing Alt-C.  There is also a real handy search feature since the list is so long.  I think you can just search for smoke.  With it you can see what yours is set to, and even change it if you want.

For greater efficiency I sometimes set engine smoke and grenade smoke to Tab to get the most smoke as quickly as possible.  Just have to remember to turn off engine smoke before reloading smoke grenades.

@T-72 You may not be aware, but there's also a PDF as part of the installation, for me:

C:\Games\SB Pro PE 4.167\docs\PDF for print

Template.png.1c158ec03af3d30d5b6e42d6d0f02525.png

This comes in five different languages and records most of the default settings.

Of course if you have remapped keys, etc. it wont include those.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

This page will answer all your questions and more...

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72A/M1

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=T-72B1_(m.1984)

Just search for a keyword of what you are curious about (like "smoke" or "HMG" in this example).  Its a good place to learn what you want, but then to continue reading and learn more than what you want to know. 🧐

Unfortunately engine generated smoke is not as effective as it once was due to thermal cameras on most modern Tanks and ATGM,s

Its a bit of a doubled edged sword it can give you cover from older AFV,s and older ATGMs but it will also impair you vision especially in a T-72.

Better to use terrain when possible.

Also smoke dischargers are not much use unless there equipped with thermal defeating grenades.

26 minutes ago, Marko said:

Unfortunately engine generated smoke is not as effective as it once was due to thermal cameras on most modern Tanks and ATGM,s

Its a bit of a doubled edged sword it can give you cover from older AFV,s and older ATGMs but it will also impair you vision especially in a T-72.

Better to use terrain when possible.

Also smoke dischargers are not much use unless there equipped with thermal defeating grenades.

You're right, so it's very difficult to use T-72 in the game at fighting. Since the Western tanks began to be equipped with thermal imagers in the late 1970s, their observation capability has surpassed that of Soviet tanks, especially at night and in complex weather conditions.

11 hours ago, T-72 said:

You're right, so it's very difficult to use T-72 in the game at fighting. Since the Western tanks began to be equipped with thermal imagers in the late 1970s, their observation capability has surpassed that of Soviet tanks, especially at night and in complex weather conditions.

Trying to fight one to one in a T-72 you will always be at a disadvantage,

But if you apply soviet doctrine (IE Massed and fast)

With a rolling arty barrage you can negate there advantage some what.

I used to be part of a VU that practiced using soviet equipment and tactical doctrine.

And many times the unit was able to overwhelm are opfor with this tactic.

10 hours ago, Lt DeFault said:

That's part of why I enjoy using them. It forces you to use different tactics than you might with a more updated tank. Personally, it makes me a lot more cautious - which I think is a good thing.

Yes, there are more things to consider when using the T-72.

3 hours ago, Marko said:

Trying to fight one to one in a T-72 you will always be at a disadvantage,

But if you apply soviet doctrine (IE Massed and fast)

With a rolling arty barrage you can negate there advantage some what.

I used to be part of a VU that practiced using soviet equipment and tactical doctrine.

And many times the unit was able to overwhelm are opfor with this tactic.

So what kind of tactics should the T-72 use at night?

3 hours ago, T-72 said:

So what kind of tactics should the T-72 use at night?

LoL

I think the guys comments above about summed it up( DON'T )try to fight at night in the real world or the SB virtual world for that matter.

Unless the later variants of the T-72 are modelled from the T-72 B2 onwards are equipped with thermals.

If they do include the later B variants in the next update especially if they model the ATGM capability. it would be a game changer IMO anyway.

PS, you could use the T-72M4 CZ: variant via the mission editor  its thermal equipped but not playable

I used to edit a platoon and replace one tank in the platoon with a T-72 B1  if you want to see what a more modern T-72 can do

Edited by Marko

10 minutes ago, Marko said:

LoL

I think the guys comments above about summed it up( DON'T )try to fight at night in the real world or the SB virtual world for that matter.

Unless the later variants of the T-72 are modelled from the T-72 B2 onwards are equipped with thermals.

If they do include the later B variants in the next update especially if they model the ATGM capability. it would be a game changer IMO anyway.

OK,I SEE

On 7/15/2020 at 11:22 PM, Ssnake said:

reloading the commander's HMG will happen automatically if

a. you leave the commander's place, or

b. stay unbuttoned, doing nothing (you may still look around - without binoculars)

To reload a partially empty box, you need to use the top screen drop down menu or the right click unit icon menu in the bottom right.

Reload > HMG/B30

But as it only holds 60 rounds, you may as well treat it like a shot glass, full or empty, if it's in between someone's not trying hard enough.  :)

19 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

To reload a partially empty box, you need to use the top screen drop down menu or the right click unit icon menu in the bottom right.

Reload > HMG/B30

But as it only holds 60 rounds, you may as well treat it like a shot glass, full or empty, if it's in between someone's not trying hard enough.  :)

THANKS