Sign in to follow this  
OhHeyItsMel

Should my Dad buy this game?

Hello, I hope this an appropriate forum for asking this question!

My dad is a a proud Army Vet who loves all things military. I recently built him a pc with integrated graphics meant for low end gaming and browsing. I am no expert in PCs, I learned enough to purchase/assemble for myself and then my dad asked me to build one for him. 

So this morning he sends me a link to SB Pro PE sim and he is super excited about it! I look into it--oh geez it's a REAL simulation game--can his system run it?

He's working with Windows 10,  AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics and 16gb RAM.

I'm not savvy enough to look at the requirements and then look at my system and be able to say definitively,"yes, Dad, you can play that"

I usually just use a website that checks the compatibility for me however this game does not appear on any of those sites that I've used. Can someone help me and my dear Dad figure out if he can play this awesome sim?

The system requirements are detailed on the website and that system looks like it meets the minimum requirements, so it will run.

The graphics element of that PC is a bit on weak side, so turning down some of the visual effects will probably be required.

One of the best things about SB ProPE, is that you have the option to buy a time limited license for as little as 9.5 USD for one month. 

That's not a lot of coin to find out definitively if it will run to your dad's satisfaction, as these things are somewhat subjective.

The online community has many vets and serving personnel, so if your dad has a headset and mike he will be very welcome to join multiplayer games. It's where SB Pro really shines and the fastest way to learn.

DBoy

Try it out. Th eone-month test license is designed to deliver exactly that - an opportunity to run it and see it it runs well. Be prepared to reduce the detail level sliders a bit (Alt+G, Alt+D; Alt+F12 activates the frame counter, so you can directly see what kind of an effect each setting has).

Steel Beasts is usually well playable with frame rates in the 30s, some people tolerate even less. I'd still be among those willing to sacrifice visual detail for higher frame rates, but everybody has different preferences. In any case, since the angular velocity of threats/targets is usually low, a lower frame rate is much less of a distraction and drawback than with high-speed maze-runner first person shooters.

So, I think it's definitely worth a try if you're willing to tinker a bit with the settings after installation. Once that that is out of the way your dad can have a look at the simulation itself (I think he'll like it). And if you want to play with him, consider either short-term time-based licenses for yourself whenever you're visiting, or a classic license with a secondary license in addition to it. That way, your dad's computer could be configured as a license server and your machine could draw the license over the LAN, and you don't have to bother with anything.

Funny... when we decided to go for the secondary license concept, I always wanted this to be a dad & son experience. Somehow I didn't think of sons buying it for their dads, but it works either way. :)

1 hour ago, OhHeyItsMel said:

Hello, I hope this an appropriate forum for asking this question!

My dad is a a proud Army Vet who loves all things military. I recently built him a pc with integrated graphics meant for low end gaming and browsing. I am no expert in PCs, I learned enough to purchase/assemble for myself and then my dad asked me to build one for him. 

So this morning he sends me a link to SB Pro PE sim and he is super excited about it! I look into it--oh geez it's a REAL simulation game--can his system run it?

He's working with Windows 10,  AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics and 16gb RAM.

I'm not savvy enough to look at the requirements and then look at my system and be able to say definitively,"yes, Dad, you can play that"

I usually just use a website that checks the compatibility for me however this game does not appear on any of those sites that I've used. Can someone help me and my dear Dad figure out if he can play this awesome sim?

I have worse settings Graphic amd RAM wise...still runs ok.

1 hour ago, dlad said:

One of the best things about SB ProPE, is that you have the option to buy a time limited license for as little as 9.5 USD for one month. 

The online community has many vets and serving personnel, so if your dad has a headset and mike he will be very welcome to join multiplayer games. It's where SB Pro really shines and the fastest way to learn.

Thanks for the info-and for the suggestion of the 1 month license! Also appreciate the info about the online community I will pass that on to my Dad