Scout Teams.

Brakefan

This may be a little bit of an ...err"Newbie" type question, and I apologise now if I may have missed it in the hand book.

In several scenarios I find that there are "Scout Teams" (varying between 2 and 6 soldiers) as well as ordinary infantry. In some scenarios there are "Scout Teams" as well as "Forward Observers".

My question is.

1/ What do the "Scout Teams" do that the ordinary infantry don't or can't do (apart from getting killed in record time)?

2/ What can they not do that that a "F/O" can?

3/ Most importantly, how can I use them effectively and keep them alive?

Looking forward to your answers and comments, even rude abusive ones.

Thanks

Steve 

Edited by Brakefan

39 minutes ago, Brakefan said:

This may be a little bit of an ...err"Newbie" type question, and I apologise now if I may have missed it in the hand book.

In several scenarios I find that there are "Scout Teams" (varying between 2 and 6 soldiers) as well as ordinary infantry. In some scenarios there are "Scout Teams" as well as "Forward Observers".

My question is.

1/ What do the "Scout Teams" do that the ordinary infantry don't or can't do (apart from getting killed in record time)?

2/ What can they not do that that a "F/O" can?

3/ Most importantly, how can I use them effectively and keep them alive?

Looking forward to your answers and comments, even rude abusive ones.

Thanks

Steve 

1. Scout Teams represent dismounted scouts. Their low number of Soldiers gives them less of a signature, and makes them harder to detect. If you are using them like Infantry (clearing buildings in an enemy held town, etc) then you are going to get them killed: they aren't made to do that. In real life they have specialized training in conducting reconnaissance and security tasks. In game, this isn't modeled versus your standard infantry. 

2. An FO may be the only unit that can call for fire depending on scenario settings. Additionally, FOs have a dismounted thermal optic that is superior at identifying targets, and calling for, and adjusting indirect fire compared to your standard binoculars. 

3. Use them in the role they are intended: as Scouts. Have them establish hasty observation posts in areas of cover and concealment overwatching important routes. Knowing where the enemy is going, and their size, is valuable, and allows you to make better decisions in the employment of your forces. 

As an example, in one of Panzer_Leader's recon scenarios, I was able to identify the enemy's forward security company, and report the route it was taking, which was very valuable in ensuring the successful completion of mission objectives. I wouldn't have had as much success if I was using heavy vehicles, like tanks.

Mirzayev, thanks very much.

I will try a few scenarios and try to keep them hidden.

I would seem that I have been using them wrongly.

They mostly seem to get killed by blundering into an enemy position of which I am unaware.

Shame that the special recon and security skills aren't modeled.

Thanks again

Steve

Using the "scout" command for movement, and adjusting their stance (I normally go with standing versus kneeling for long distances of movement) will help as well. If your scout teams spot an enemy, they will halt, and assume a prone position. The AI can be very good at spotting the enemy, especially if you are managing an entire Company +. 

• Moderators

Scout teams are allowed to be given UAV (micro) and UGVs, while normal rifle teams cannot (only PL units can be given this equipment). They also have a different map icon (obviously).

So really, its more about them having a different map icon, so you can be immediately aware that you shouldn't route them around like normal infantry, and instead use scout tactics, and so you also know that they are the go-to unit to use the UAV and UGV (if they are equipped with one).

Thanks for the info guys.

Whilst I've got your attention maybe you could help me with another minor problem I;m having.

If I am in a F/O team and use F7, F2, N and call for fire, do I need to enter the Attitude in the drop down menu or is it read from the thermal optic as per the range?