Tanks again ...

BadgerDog

I'm trying to run this "Tanks Again" scenario, but I get an error that it's looking for other elements such as maps etc.

The only item in the download file was the .SCE itself.

Anyone able to help me with the missing elements and getting this installed and running?

Thanks.

Edited by BadgerDog

Pretty sure its the "usual" issue that the scenario was made pre 4.1x and therefore uses an embedded map.

This arrangement does not work for 4.1x and later.

I think someone converted it but you may need to do a search. If unsuccessful, let me know and I'll convert it for you.

I found it posted in the Wikipedia guide and it appeared to be an excellent training platform for me to master.

I searched both the forums and downloads, but couldn't find any updated version, plus I messaged the author but haven't heard back.

It sounds challenging, so it would be great if you could convert it for me ... much appreciated.

ps:  I did find this one, but I don't think it's the same.

Edited by BadgerDog

Yes its an old scenario and yes it needs a new map. :(

The Bad news is all the "Wolfsburg_Germany" map files that I have have almost no trees. Opening the scenario in 4.023 indicates that trees are pretty important.

So, I'll:

1. Extract the map from the 4.023 scenario

2. Convert it to 4.167

3. Adjust the theme to make it less bumpy etc.

4. "Publish" and Save the Map. I'll probably call it "Wolfsburg_Germany - Tanks Again"

5. Arrange with you a suitable time (say 30 - 45mins to copy the map file, make sure it goes in the right place and the scenario opens.

I'm afraid all of that is beyond the time I have available tonight.

Talk soon ...

• Members

Old scenarios have parts of their map data embedded, but since version 4.1 we can no longer do that. So, in order to convert them, you either have to find the original map (and convert it), or you extract the map data from the scenario (which you can do if you open the Mission Editor with a blank scenario, then go through the File menu to open the scenario in question).

Try it. Worst case, it doesn't work and we're here to explain what went wrong and how to fix it. :)

Or Mark find the time to do it for you, but then you don't learn anything from it. ;)

The user Manual attempts to describe the process, but there's also these help threads:

Wow ... 😲

Thanks very much partner, but I really don't expect you to move mountains to do this, and I never realized it would be that complex. 😅

As I said, it's referred to in the current SB Wiki as being useful for training on an ongoing basis, so ... since training is what I need, I went looking for it at the link given.

It's NOT that important, so please don't waste your time on this, as there's probably other missions where there's one against the world similar to it, that are compatible with v4.

In any event, both you guys have gone over and above with your support.  I'm really looking forward to getting good enough to contribute something back to the community.  👍

Edited by BadgerDog

Ah just read your post as I was finishing things off.

Anyway here is the scenario file.

The map file doesn't lend itself to uploading here so I'll send you a PM (or Dischord message) and we can arrange a time for me to send you the map.

You will need the map before this file will work.

Tanks!__Again_v1.0_4_167.sce

BadgerDog, I just saw your message.  The scenario used a customized map (I added some roads and structures; removed some of the vegetation, and probably other changes I can't remember).  I'll look for the map file tonight and upload it if I can.

Hi .. :)

Thanks for the reply here, but hold off on doing anything as GibsonM has converted it and I'm just trying yo coordinate a 12 hour time difference connection with him to transfer a large file with him.

Appreciate your work and I'm looking forward to the challenge of the scenario to see what I've learned so far. 😀

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

@MDF I've already converted it, and we are part way through the installation of the 4.1x Scenario and accompanying Map Package, so it may not be required.

Thanks.  Let me know if you need anything from me.

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2023 at 1:51 AM, Gibsonm said:

You have a PM.

But given not even a "thank you" no more help for you.

petty-ete-glass.gif

Link to Map Converted by @Gibsonm : https://www.dropbox.com/s/809tfwpo6l4yfkh/Wolfsburg_Germany [autocreated base].zip?dl=0

Attached Tanks Scenario to Post Converted by @Gibsonm

Tanks!__Again_v1.0_4_167.sce

Edited by bluef16
Adding Link to Map and Attached Converted Scenario