Radio damage - What is supposed to happen?

Lumituisku

Soo, after some testing yesterday, I am baffled.  What is supposed to happen with radio damage currently?

In test.  It seems that on receiving end

single player radio damage works as I would expect it to.  Unit with broken radio doesn't seem to get radio messages or map uptades of enemy contacts. (Or atleast that's how I think it is...  didn't test it in SP too thoroughly to be absolutely sure.)

multiplayer and Lan session.   Having radio damage only prevent's player from receiving radio "Text" and "AI voice messages"   It does not effect at any way on map uptades.  Enemy map uptades are still pop up on map even if one has broken radio.

So I wonder...  is this intentional?  I suppose it could be, given how much trouble this potentionally can cause in multiplayer games where users control multipble units.  

But somehow I would expect unit with broken radio affecting map updates of enemy movements too.   

Well actually that was what I was going to try to do in my mission to enforce verbal communication training in mission, where one or some see and know, and have to convey information to tanks that execute mission based on that.  But I didn't want to make it too hard for owner of scout units by disabling all enemy map uptades.   As that would enforce and likely cause him getting overly fustraded with having need to jump from unit to unit all the time.  Especially when he isn't that confortable reading text but is more visual person.

Edited by Lumituisku

Thank you all

Sowith radio damage...

Own units location is no longer conveyd to other players. As Gibson mentioned

I understood from Ssnake that other units positions shouldn't update. But currently seems to do so. 

How about newly drawn  graphics plans and reference points from other players? Is unit with radio damage  supposed to receive those?

• Moderators
On 8/19/2020 at 7:52 AM, Lumituisku said:

How about newly drawn  graphics plans and reference points from other players? Is unit with radio damage  supposed to receive those?

No, we don't need to disrupt that, because the user could easily jump to another unit that has a radio in order to be sent the graphics again, and this would create an unnecessary mess of needless frustration.

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, Ssnake said:

IMO it shouldn't, although it's a bit of a grey area since we don't interrupt your voice over IP chat in multiplayer either (well, with some solutions other than TeamSpeak we do, actually).

I know we use Teamspeak for multiplayer. Have the use of SRS been thought off. Like in DCS it can be integrated with Unit's radio system. It also gives you control of volume on different channels and you can also decide to listen to channel 1 in left ear and 2 in right. Would be cool to have the radio working.

Perhaps this should had been posted under wishlist.

6 hours ago, JUST said:

I know we use Teamspeak for multiplayer. Have the use of SRS been thought off. Like in DCS it can be integrated with Unit's radio system. It also gives you control of volume on different channels and you can also decide to listen to channel 1 in left ear and 2 in right. Would be cool to have the radio working.

Perhaps this should had been posted under wishlist.

I have tested SRS in my small group and we approved and took it into use.  It is very good and easy way to get good and proper feeling radio system to games.  Especially if some players are doing multicrew, or in different missions / areas / teams of operation.    I hightly recommend it.