Rookies?

BadgerDog

Perhaps it's just me, but I still don't see a lot of activity on here with posts from rookies.

Is it still just because SB4 has a steep learning curve and is more of a true simulation as opposed to an arcade thing, so we don't have many new guys?

Anyway, I have a Hamachi (32 user) server that still has 9 months to go on its subscription, so if there are any "new" users with 4.167 who would like to try some simple LAN co-op or even HtH to get more familiar with the simulation, let me know.  I tried this same pitch a few years ago before I ran into medical issues, but there weren't many takers then.  I was curious if the audience for SB has grown much at all, or still just a group of hard core tread-heads.🤣

It's kind of lonely on my own up against the AI and even as a "newbie" re-learning old skills, I'd really enjoy some company.

... and if you some you old guys want to take a break and help me learn faster, that would be great as well. 😉

Regards,

Doug

• Members

I think Steel Beasts was never made for a high turnover of new players that fade as quickly as they come. That's good or bad, depending on your point of view I suppose, but that's what it is. Your best option seems to be to plan ahead for some multiplayer sessions - be they announced by others, be it that you announce them in advance, rather than totally spontaneous game sessions.

Use our calendar for that.

3 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

Anyway, I have a Hamachi (32 user) server that still has 9 months to go on its subscription, so if there are any "new" users with 4.167 who would like to try some simple LAN co-op or even HtH to get more familiar with the simulation, let me know.  I tried this same pitch a few years ago before I ran into medical issues, but there weren't many takers then.  I was curious if the audience for SB has grown much at all, or still just a group of hard core tread-heads.🤣

Fun fact: the new version of Steel Beasts doesn't require as much "tweaks" at the end user level to join a multiplayer session. Now, you can just type in the IP address of the host, and join as long as you have the required map for the scenario being played. Hosting still requires some tweaks to the router. 

11 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

... and if you some you old guys want to take a break and help me learn faster, that would be great as well. 😉

Its a way off but I usually run some Q&A / Tutorial sessions over the Christmas / New Year period - where I can get up at European / North American times to maximise attendance.

However happy to do things at a convenient time for you on say your Friday / Saturday (my Saturday / Sunday) if that helps?

Thanks for the feedback guys .. 👍

I currently have just 5 Mb/sec slow and sometimes unreliable Internet, but within the next 6 weeks they're installing 1.5 Gb/sec Fibre internet on our street.

Once I have that, I'll be able to run SB4 and host better to arrange some times for small gatherings.

Watch this thread for announcements.

Regards,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Paladin1CD said:

I’d very much enjoy newbie session. I love the bigger missions but I’m so behind the power curve on running SB that it’s not funny. 

Excellent ... a new recruit. 👍

As soon as we can arrange some time on Gibsonm's server, or I can get my Hamachi server running, we'll set up an small event.

Thanks ....   

2 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

Excellent ... a new recruit. 👍

As soon as we can arrange some time on Gibsonm's server, or I can get my Hamachi server running, we'll set up an small event.

Thanks ....   

Well all I really need is a proposed time (in GMT please) and then I can look at setting things up.

Of course I'd need to make sure the proposed time falls is a window when I'm actually available to run it.

• 1 month later...

Ok....

It it took a little longer than I thought to get the install done, but I'm now up and running on 1.5Gb down and 900Mb up Internet bandwidth, which should be good enough for hosting SB games.  So, I need to test to ensure I have it configured right for hosting.

Some of the day, I'll be away from my computer, I have set it up with SB running in HOST mode and a sample scenario showing.  I have configured IP access and port forwarding. The idea is for any of you who have the time to test connectivity, is for you to attempt to connect and see if you can JOIN.   As a CLIENT join IP address (removed after testing)

I'll leave the host up and running to get your feedback.

Simply confirm if you can access The Assembly area and  access the CO's tank (Observer Position).

Leave any comments here ...

Thanks .... 👍

Edited by BadgerDog

2 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

Simply confirm if you can access The Assembly area and  access the CO's tank (Observer Position).

Leave any comments here ...

Able to find session and access Assembly Area; obviously cannot access any vehicle, since I don't have scenario  and host computer is left unattended, so there is no anyone who can confirm file transfer. Basically your setup seems to work, but it is better to  run a test game.

1 hour ago, Jartsev said:

Able to find session and access Assembly Area; obviously cannot access any vehicle, since I don't have scenario  and host computer is left unattended, so there is no anyone who can confirm file transfer. Basically your setup seems to work, but it is better to  run a test game.

Thanks... it confirms my connection and port forwarding are reachable.....

I guess the next step is to arrange a test scenario with a few folks. 👍

I've deleted the IP address ... 😉