Problem when saving scenarios

Lumituisku

When 4.1 came out, and new scenarios were no longer compatible with older versions, I started to name my scenarios starting with letters  4.1  and then scenario name 

Seems that it created a problem where often... but not always happens following.  

I get message  "4.1 scenarios-name exist! Override?" 

And if and when I do so..  that name isn't there..  but this saves over some other scenario on different name with...  I believe 4.1 at the start.

So... as I was aware of this, this time. >.<   I didn't override  but tried other things... and finally what I did was to take away 4.1 from start of the name and it seemed to do the trick. 

Soo...  is it so that naming scenarios, by putting version at the start somehow fuck up saving progress? Or is there something else that I may have been accidentally messing up?

I sadly don't have photos or examples because I have not been creating much recently and losing scenarios like this behind different names and the fact that loading up scenarios to check what is what is terribly slow, kinda took away lots of my creative motivation.    

• Members

The dot is treated as the separator between file name and suffix. DOS allows only 8.3 naming conventions (eight ASCII alphanumeric name characters, three suffix characters to denote the file type). Then people started gnashing their teeth and wailed that somehow this wasn't enough, so MS heard their pleas and eventually changed things - up to a point (pun intended).

The dot is still the divider. Everything before the dot is NAME, everything after is EXTENSION. Extensions may be longer. Concatenations of extensions are possible, only the last extension/suffix counts (in our case .SCE). But everything between the NAME and the last suffix is ignored, as far as the name is concerned.

So, 4.1 This is my great scenario. Where I test Red and Blue. Awesome.sce and 4.1 New scenario.sce will BOTH be understood by the Windows file handling as: 

4.(irrelevant yadda yadda).sce

So you're overwriting one 4.sce with another 4.sce as far as Windows and the associated naming conventions are concerned.

To avoid this, use 4-1 as the version prefix code. Simply don't use non-ASCII characters, and avoid dots.