Install Problem

Paladin1CD

I did, however I’m not sure it’s in the right place. All the maps are in the main directory now. I may have missed it but I didn’t seem to notice a way to link the install to the new location. I had to install a new drive for space reasons lately and was installing it there. 

Yeah I'm still struggling... the maps are in the same folder as the rest of the SB Pro... I'm moving them and reinstalling into a sub folder I've titled maps...

That did not work. I'm at a loss again. When I installed it I didn't see anything to select to fix it, and it gives me the exception when I run as administrator and choose the map folder. 

Edited by Paladin1CD

FWIW:

My maps are in (Win10) a sub folder of C:\ProgramData\eSim Games

The application is in: C:\Games\SB Pro PE 4.167

You could, I guess, put it all together but then you'd need to ensure that the application is searching the right place (as defined by the "Options" then "File Paths" menu):

SS_15_15_38.thumb.jpg.4afe392894a450c49a02dda8c2867ceb.jpg

This path is determined by the user when they install the "map package".

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
4 hours ago, Paladin1CD said:

Ssnake... How do I know if I've done those certain basic map packages? I did the full install. 13.5 GB in total. They are in a folder under SB Pro called Maps along with SB Pro PE and Steel Beasts Map Transfer Tools. 

Go to the Main Menu, Options, File Paths

This will display where Steel Beasts THINKS that all your maps are. Open that path in the Windows File Explorer. Right-click the parent directory and select Properties to see how large the folder is. If it's about 14 GBytes large, chances are that everything is in the right place and you're just missing a particular map. If the folder size is much smaller, then Steel Beasts can't find the maps that you installed because you probably installed Steel Beasts first, then the maps, and set a different path for the maps while you did so.

That CAN be repaired but is complicated to describe. Basically, you need top copy the content of the folder shown in the "File Paths" menu to the folder where all the other maps are, then you can click on the file path in Steel Beasts and point to the other directory. Steel Beasts will accept this only if it can find the tutorial map, the blank map, and the gunnery range map in the new place.

The above is the size of the maps folder. If you mean the SB Pro PE that is 5.76 GB and the SB Pro folder combined is 35.4. Gibsonm, when I launch in admin it gives me that exception error to change the file path for some reason. I'll uninstall everything and start with maps first - just felt counterintuitive to do it in that order. I'll let you all know if that works out. Thanks for the help. 

Edited by Paladin1CD

So, with the information you all so graciously helped provide I decided to do the reinstall. Cleared it all and did it maps then program. Target! Works like a champ loading up anyway. Sorry about it, the main install site always seemed a little tough for me to understand. Got it now though, and thanks. Now I have to try to remember how to tank. 

7 minutes ago, Paladin1CD said:

Would it be better to uninstall it all and install maps first?

Well I would have thought just follow the steps as outlined on Page 3 and 4 of the "read me" file. ;)

SBProPE_4-167_RN.pdf

I mean that's why they wrote it. :)

I'm also not sure why you are asking since your last post says:

10 hours ago, Paladin1CD said:

Works like a champ loading up anyway.

Which led me to believe that the issue was resolved?

Edited by Gibsonm

Afirm Gibsonm. 

And I'm just saying, the more user friendly software is the more people utilize it up to a point. It is counter intuitive to me, and I would imagine most folks, to install something the program needs before installing the program itself. That's all, just a gentle comment, not meant to ruffle feathers or anything. 

• Administrators

No one wants to read documentation any more, or generate it for that matter!  😉. Glad you got it working.  What can I do to improve the downloads page to avoid this confusion - keeping in mind that if there are too many words, no one will read it.

• Members

Maybe have pop-up windows coming from the base page with 

• Step 1: Pops up the Release Notes
  • Step 2: Pops up the Download page for the Map Packages
  • Step 3: Pops up the Download page for the SB Pro PE Full installer (and the patch)
  • Step 4: Pops up the Download page for the Transfer Manager

Ssnake I completely understand - the GOOD point is by the time I spend this much on a program I really want to make sure it works lol. 

I'm looking and thinking. If you could break it down for new install vs other. Most folks who are familiar will not experience what I did. My eyes sort of glazed over and I thought dang it I'm going to have to spend brain power on installation, not on tactics, mission building, etc. The page is a little overwhelming and I just missed what was being communicated. That is really on me, I really didn't think that hard about it. Just thought well (using dcs as an example) before I install anything I have to install the game right? Then modules, maps, etc. And of course, I was wrong! 

The new install folks on that first page could prompt that you have a do this, then this 1. 2. 3. would help. Everyone whos been through it (not me, I'm a slower learner) will probably remember to RTFM. Honestly I downloaded the manual and forgot where I stuck it...

If you could do a pop up warning "have you installed map packs already?" or have the installer check and prompt would be awesome. But I think that might be part of what Ssnake was alluding to being a bear. That's what pops up  as a way to keep fools like me in line. 

Also - THANK YOU for caring enough to ask. If I think of something else I will put that in here. 

Edited by Paladin1CD