terrible performance with 4.167 TEST 1

Badger

• Members

I'm trying to summarize now. Please check every statement below if it is correct:

• looking at the reference panel to the right edge of the gunnery range engagement area gives you 40 fps in the best of cases
  • looking anywhere else in the same scenario gives you around 60 fps, give or take a little
  • whenever one or multiple of the following settings are activated, you drop to 29 fps,
    • V sync
    • balanced (or max energy saving) power settings (Windows 7)
    • fullscreen mode
  • Lower resolutions may actually (always will?) result in lower framerates
  • Thermal throttling can be ruled out as a source of trouble
  • Many trees (unless this turns out to be a particularly bad spot) can be ruled out as a source of trouble
  • Steel Beasts graphics settings - no matter which one, play only a minor role in the resulting framerate
  • All this on a system with
    • AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz CPU
    • ATI RX 560 4 GByte graphics card
    • 32 GByte RAM
    • Windows 7-64bit

checking...just to clariy last....the res changes were not in window mode....the sucessfull 40fps Is in windowed mode

drivers up to date 20.8.3 no new up date published in control panel news at this time

Edited by Badger

• looking at the reference panel to the right edge of the gunnery range engagement area gives you 40 fps in the best of cases

yes best case...constant 29 on settings with

• V sync
  • fullscreen mode
  • looking anywhere else in the same scenario gives you around 60 fps, give or take a little

yes

• whenever one or multiple of the following settings are activated, you drop to 29 fps,
    • V sync
    • fullscreen mode 
    •  
  • correct

• Lower resolutions may actually (always will?) result in lower framerates

yes except foe 1280 res

• Thermal throttling can be ruled out as a source of trouble

cool 66 Celsius with  vsync off,windowed,and power to performance

• Many trees (unless this turns out to be a particularly bad spot) can be ruled out as a source of trouble

seems to be ... when panning to left stand of trees ,fps goes up

• Steel Beasts graphics settings - no matter which one, play only a minor role in the resulting framerate

only when turning DOWN the settings...turn them up and fps drops without vsync off,windowed,and power to performance

this in context to the target panel 29fps test

• All this on a system with
    • AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz CPU
    • ATI RX 560 4 GByte graphics card
    • 32 GByte RAM
    • Windows 7-64bit
Edited by Badger

• Members

That V-Sync might effectively cap the framerate at 30 fps is hardly a surprise if the engine can't deliver a reliable 60 frames +. I'm surprised about the fullscreen display option making a big difference (but at least we can work around that with the --fullscreenwindow command line option). That power settings can have a negative impact is also not unexpected.

Seems like we have to investigate the map when looking at that specific panel. Can you please post a screenshot of the map view here where you zoom in on your own vehicle's and that panel's location so we can make sure to both look at the same thing?

Question-  Are you using optical or ssd HD's?

In that same scenario with v1.467 I get 60 fps  consistently on my system.  which is

win 7 pro 64 /I7 6850k 6 core @ 4.0  

48g corsair vengeance ram ddr4

MSI pro carbon MB/1200w psu

nvidia gtx 1080 ftw 8g vram ddr5 oc'd @ 2025mhz gpu/5005mnz mem clock

samsung evo 850- 250g ssd x2

samsung evo 860pro- 1 tb ssd

samsung T3 portable 500g ssd

2x 27" asus ips mon @ 1920x1080

1x 34" asus arog curved mon @3440x1440 rr@100 using gsysnc -this is the main mon which I use SBpro in windowed mode as I have other things such as a second instance of sbpro running on outboard monitors while using mission editor or playing in sp mode and having other doc's open on a third mon such as the sbpro manual or other info

SS_09_16_32.thumb.jpg.c8ebf07ee6b51df02aad9519e157883f.jpg

I think it also needs to be said that what promted me to do this test was similar issues in multiplayer on all sorts of maps....this tank range map I used cause it was easy to duplicate tests and I knew just where to look.I'm hoping by solving this issue it will apply itself to the game as a whole.(I really thought it was some tree model issue..but now I'm just perplexed)

if you need too I can easily go to comms and tell ya  all thats happened in past sessions...might be easier than form post tag...I'm just sittin here hunting american warships in my akula in coldwaters

Edited by Badger

It seems to me we had this issue with amd in the past...and it was fixed....then resurfaced (and if I recall correctly you had said it would be addressed in a future patch(now historic)since we're what?...3 patches in ? I'm just wondering if those legacy  fixes have been implemented?Again this was alonggg time ago,so my memory maybe faulty.

Edited by Badger

• Members

Translation help: Typically, if we say that something "will be patched in the next version", that means that internally we have patched it already.

But of course, new issues can be found, or there can be multiple problems, or a driver update introduces a new one ... or, hopefully only rarely, we're having a bad day and forget about patching something that we promised, or we think we have it patched but lack the means to test it (because nobody on the team has the specific graphics card in question ... how many computers to you keep at home, even if it's work...)

• Members

For what it's worth, some programmer feedback:

1. I believe that the ground cover may be a large factor.

Since it's being viewed through the range finder, it's all being rendered transparently.  This in turn blocks the renderer's ability to instance the models.

Lowering the ground clutter to 0 maxes out the frame rate for me, even in a non-optimized exe.

2. My system has a 1070GTX card and it exhibits (slightly) lowered frame rates due to processing too many pixels/vertices when looking into densely treed areas. [...] lowering the "Terrain object detail" slider should improve performance in densely covered areas.

3. Other things...

"V sync" - As you noted, will impact the frame rate.  (if we can't generate frames faster than the monitors refresh rate, then we can only do half the refresh rate at best)

"balanced (or max energy saving) power settings (Windows 7)"

I tested this with another light weight 3d application, 'max energy saving' definitely impacts performance.  I suspect 'balanced' would impact SB also.

We'll think of ways to get around the transparency issue but I think our options here are going to be limited. Reducing ground clutter generally, disabling VSync and setting the power saving mode to full power are probably your best options to get higher framerates in general.

• Members

Not sure if there will be any, TBH. I'm not convinced that this will make a substantial difference (to justify the development effort), and in any case you could achieve the same effect by reducing the slider for ground clutter until there is no more grass to be seen in your 8x...12x sights.

In your first screenshot on page 1, only eight to maybe 12 grass imposters were shown. It's not a convincing theory that a dozen imposters cause a frame rate drop from 60+ to barely 40, particularly since the grass would also be there in other directions where you DO get the high framerate.

• Moderators

I admit I have not read the entire thread, but one thing you could do is check your video card settings for a setting that deals with transparencies. I don't recall what it is, but I recall there being an advanced setting on some video cards to control something to do with anti-aliasing of alpha transparencies, or transparencies in general. When that was turned on for me, the frame rate was low.

Then again this was a long time ago and I am not even sure that modern video cards have that setting anymore. Still, usually if you see frame rate issues for a game then its a good idea to create a graphics profile for that game, and change the advanced settings on the graphics card to streamline everything for the best frame rate. There could be some advanced settings turned on which have negative impact on SB performance. Not sure which ones, but just saying that this is a typical thing to try (if you haven't already).