Losing a track for no apparent reason.

IamKirk

In scenario Tanks! and driving along the northern part near the peak of the hill and at top speed, and for no apparent reason I would lose the right track and two wheels.  This latest time I was in the BMP B-11 Kurganets.  (Sweet vehicle BTW). The other two times, I think I was in the Leopard 2A something.  This happened twice in the Leo a few minutes apart.

And by "no apparent reason", I mean I was not hit by enemy, I did not hit a mine, I did not drive across any obviously harsh terrain.  I checked the AAR for enemy hits and mines and there were none.  I was just driving normally at top speed going straight.

Is this a bug, or what is causing this that I need to do differently?

I will attach pics of the vehicle location of the incident and the mine field locations.

SS_16_29_54.jpg

SS_16_29_58.jpg

SS_16_38_00.jpg

• Members

Hm. Since you seem to be able to reproduce it semi-reliably, unless there is a hidden penalty zone in the region (and I don't believe you can specify more than just track damage) it sounds like a bug. Can you save us an AAR where it happened, and upload it somewhere along with a time code for the event, so we get a more accurate reading of the coordinate? Can you check how close the coordinates and/or time codes are when this happens?

I thought for sure that I had saved the AAR, but since I cannot find it, I guess the only explanation is that I didn't save it.  It is not with the other AARs.

Where you see the vehicle, in the second pic,  on the map in the north east corner area is where it lost a track, or within 100 meters of that.   I had not played for long.  Only about 36 minutes.   I quit shortly after it happened since I could just start a new session faster than I could fix the broken vehicle.

I knew I wanted to save that AAR, so not sure how I missed doing that.  If I find it or it happens again I will be sure to get the AAR posted.

In terms of location, looking at the second pic it happened in that square and less than 100 meters from the location of the vehicle you see there.  The first two times it happened I was in the next square to the left in the bottom half, just on the northern side of the plateau.  I was out of view of any enemies.

Sorry about missing the AAR, as I know that would be helpful.  I will see if I can reproduce it.

I haven't messed with that scenario for a long while as the enemy routing is completely broken (can't use new random variable in the same way now.) But the only penalty zone is outside the marked boundary, so that shouldn't be it. If I remember right those rocky areas are a bit bumpy too, maybe that's causing the problem? I'll load it up tomorrow and see if I can figure out anything.

Edited by Rotareneg

9 hours ago, IamKirk said:

I was just driving normally at top speed going straight.

It could be argued that "top speed" isn't actually "normally".

With the new terrain models, driving flat out will exacerbate bumps, etc.

17 minutes ago, DK-DDAM said:

how bumpy was the terrain. cause that could cause you to loose the track... I've managed to do it alot, and its not a bug. You just gotta be aware of how you drive in the terrain

Edited by Gibsonm

Just checked and it's not the bumpiness in this case, it's the rocks. I tested .1, .2, .3, and .4 meter tall rock clusters (type 47) and with the .1 ones I couldn't get any track damage, but the larger they got the more likely damage was to happen when moving quickly (faster than "fast" speed.) Also, the .4 meter rocks were sometimes solid obstacles, adding an extra layer of hazard.

The rocks on that map were .33m on the hill tops, so there was a pretty good chance of losing a track if the vehicle was going fast enough on the rocks.

Thanks to all who commented.

Based upon what is said here and what I have been told in other conversations, the most likely explanation is that I was going too fast for the surface (i.e. rocky).

I do not normally travel at top speed, but I was actually moving at top speed, not just set to top speed, when it occurred.  The speed, location, and terrain are the common aspect.  And since this is actually a feature of the software, then this would explain it.

Mark this one as closed.