Joystic deadzones

Lumituisku

My friend who has rather expensive joystic swears that there are massive rather annoying deadzones in Steelbeast something like 5 to 10% that don't exist on his other games and sim's.  And that it was so on his old stick and to his driving wheel too.  I as myself am not sure what to think of this....  so I though I would ask from you guys.  

Either way, he dearly wishes that there would be way to get rid of that dead zone. 

I did some little searching on forum with word deadzone and found really old topics / messages with that word... soo I don't know what to think.     One one message  I saw Ssnake mention that they have not added any purposeful deadsones to sim exept for example leo2A4 beobachten mode etc.  

I am pretty sure someone will come and burst out here that it is how it is in real life in vehicles, and while I agree, that is not what i want to discus. But rather if you guys have noticed something similar. 

Is there deadzone in Steelbeast as program, and is there way to adjust or go around it?  

• Members

I'm now doing exactly what you don't want and tell you that this is how it's supposed to be.

Steel Beasts uses different response functions depending on the status of the fire control system in some vehicles.

FEX, in the Leopard 2A4 when you're in "Beobachten" (=Emergency) mode, die control handle will operate the hydraulic valves directly that move the turret and gun, rather than sending electric steering impulses to the stabilization system which then controls the valves with electromagnetic solenoids. Pulling the Bowden cables to open the valves requires considerably more power, and then results in annoyingly fast turret movement. We try to replicate that with a big deadzone that again, requires more force and then results in annoyingly fast turret movement.

If your friend is observing that, it's a feature.

Otherwise we're generally using a cubic response function that allows for precision movement with slow targets, and then a gradually faster turret rotation the closer you come to the extreme limits of the steering impulse. Here our deadzone is pretty small (but can't be zero because then you'd constantly experience some sight drift which is annoying too.

And to answer your question: No, you can't edit the deadzone size or the response functions.

23 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

My friend who has rather expensive joystic swears that there are massive rather annoying deadzones in Steelbeast something like 5 to 10% that don't exist on his other games and sim's.  And that it was so on his old stick and to his driving wheel too.  I as myself am not sure what to think of this....  so I though I would ask from you guys.  

Either way, he dearly wishes that there would be way to get rid of that dead zone. 

I did some little searching on forum with word deadzone and found really old topics / messages with that word... soo I don't know what to think.     One one message  I saw Ssnake mention that they have not added any purposeful deadsones to sim exept for example leo2A4 beobachten mode etc.  

I am pretty sure someone will come and burst out here that it is how it is in real life in vehicles, and while I agree, that is not what i want to discus. But rather if you guys have noticed something similar. 

Is there deadzone in Steelbeast as program, and is there way to adjust or go around it?  

If it's the really expensive stick I think it is he can adjust his response curves to minimize any deadzones, but will probably require different profiles for various vehicles. Personally, I've not noticed any issues with either my TM Cougar or Warthog when it comes to deadzones, but I'm not running an FFS or anything crazy like that.