Fort Stewart map?

rump

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, my old stomping grounds.  Swamp.  Swamp.  More swamp.  Oh, have I mentioned swamp?  Average elevation was 18 inches above sea level.  Jungle (that's right, I call it a jungle) was so thick, night navigation was a challenge to say the least!  What solid, dry ground that did exist, was hotly contested by all living creatures.  I disliked Fort Stewart.  Fort Benning?  Now THAT was a party!  

3 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

Ah, my old stomping grounds.  Swamp.  Swamp.  More swamp.  Oh, have I mentioned swamp?  Average elevation was 18 inches above sea level.  Jungle (that's right, I call it a jungle) was so thick, night navigation was a challenge to say the least!  What solid, dry ground that did exist, was hotly contested by all living creatures.  I disliked Fort Stewart.  Fort Benning?  Now THAT was a party!  

Thank you for the description!! :D

He must have spent most of his time on the eastern side of the post.  The western side, except for the dammed up creek, was mostly dry when I was there.  The forests were not too jungle-like but did make tank driving a bit of a headache.  There was even one tank trail that had a small wooden bridge over it.  And at least one hill that was significantly higher than the ground to the east, south, and southwest of it.

23 hours ago, TSe419E said:

He must have spent most of his time on the eastern side of the post.  The western side, except for the dammed up creek, was mostly dry when I was there.  The forests were not too jungle-like but did make tank driving a bit of a headache.  There was even one tank trail that had a small wooden bridge over it.  And at least one hill that was significantly higher than the ground to the east, south, and southwest of it.

I recall the western side had the "Spider" intersection of eight paths to drive on.  That was pretty dry.  I called that place a jungle because it ruined my night navigation during my Expert Infantryman's Badge candidacy.  I don't remember the hill.  I do remember the Anti-tank range that seemed a bit higher in elevation than most other spots.  I remember a recon training mission to the BNOC site that was surrounded by standing water.  Driving vehicles off the roads/trails was tough.  Any sudden turns and you were stuck.  STUCK!!!  

I had a tank commander decide to show us how to drive one time.  We parked it around 2 a.m. and when we got up at dawn we discovered that he had somehow got the tank in between two trees, dead center front and back, with less than two inches of clearance.  We also got a great lesson of why you are not to sleep under the vehicle when we found out that the tank had sunk to its belly in the soft ground.  We of course had to be towed out of that mess.

Never went to BNOC and our TOW crews shot on the tank's Table VIII range the few times they fired TOWs.  I don't know if they ever fired Dragons at any time.

13 hours ago, TSe419E said:

I had a tank commander decide to show us how to drive one time. 

That reminds me of a story from when I was a company commander.

My First Sergeant wanted to teach my HQ platoon some drivers training during some downtime at an FTX. He was bragging about how he could drive a HMMWV through anything, and was going to teach the guys how to "really drive".

About a 30 minutes into their "class" I hear some really odd, conspicuous radio calls from my First Sergeant, asking one of the HQ NCOs to bring him an extra HMMWV and shovels.

Long story short: First Sergeant got his HMMWV high-centered on a desert berm during his first "demonstration" and couldn't get it off. He had 10 dudes out there recovering the vehicle and didn't want anyone to know.... especially me and the XO.