ARV options - Hitch nearby vehicle, if

Lumituisku

So... we have this option in waypoints,  but for some reason. I cannot find out how to get this to work.  I suppose I am doing something wrong? 

I have tried it with ARV but for some reason... ARV just doesn't do anything when it arrives to waypoint with ARV option set to "hitch nearby vehicle if -  not towing vehicle"      

What I am doing wrong? 

On manual it says that when you set waypoint option Hitch nearby vehicle if it will adjust to show possible hitching range.  And by look of it that range circle is way larger than I'd expect to be possible. I suppose because ARV will move to nearest vehicle and then will hitch it?  However that didn't happen. 

Also vehicle in question wasn't broken... But would it even matter?

I suppose one problem could be that I made unconnected waypoint 1 and route to vehicle on waypoint 2 where I want it to hitch it, then setting ARV option to if.  And only after that made route for ARV to travel to waypoint 1... So technically it wasn't connected to route when I made those options so range ring might not be correct? But does it matter in this case? 

• Members

Yes. If there is no vehicle that needs hitching, no hitching will happen. If there's a case of a vehicle stuck in a difficult spot of terrain, you can't script it but have to perform the operation manually. Maybe one day our AI will be smart enough to distinguish between slow movement and "stuck". What's obvious for a human looks different to the computer. The binary decisions that can be made are if a track was lost, or the engine is out, or the vehicle is out of fuel.

41 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Yes. If there is no vehicle that needs hitching, no hitching will happen. If there's a case of a vehicle stuck in a difficult spot of terrain, you can't script it but have to perform the operation manually. Maybe one day our AI will be smart enough to distinguish between slow movement and "stuck". What's obvious for a human looks different to the computer. The binary decisions that can be made are if a track was lost, or the engine is out, or the vehicle is out of fuel.

👍

Edited by Lumituisku

So for others reading this and or having had troubles with this.

besides if vehicle intended to be hitched is not immobilized, I noticed following stumbling blocks to myself...  and I suspect these are intentional choises made during development.  

It seems that if waypoint with "ARV options - Hitch nearby vehicle, if" is in Stay tactic, ARV wont proceed to hitch vehicle. but will stay.   On hold, Defend, guard and supress tactics ARV will proceed to hitch nearby vehicle.  

If there is no waypoint tactic, and there is already another unconditional route connected to waypoint. ARV will prodeed to next route without hitching vehicle.   

I'm not sure why you are giving it tactics or routes beyond the location of the vehicle that needs to be recovered?

Wouldn't you just plot a suitable route to the point adjacent to the damaged vehicle, not give it a tactic and then select the "hitch nearby vehicle" option?

Then presumably give it a conditional route back to the repair area with something like "embark if ... towing a vehicle".

Because besides scripting it to mission, I find this useful feature for ongoing missions too.  It would be wonderful if I could just tell ARV to go and recover vehicle and bring it to base with single routing loop...  and not having need to give it another route after it has hitched damaged vehicle or  to tell it to proceed from waypoint with tactic.    As said..  without tactic ARV won't stop to hitch vehicle if there is unconditional route attached.  And with tactic one needs to remember to tell it to proceed to already planned and attached route.

• Members

You can have your loop; drive to the waypoint with the hitch, if... condition, and it'll pick up a vehicle if necessary. Then use the embark condition whether a vehicle is in tow to return to the repair point. Once that the two have reached the repair point, unhitch, then repeat the cycle. 

8 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You can have your loop; drive to the waypoint with the hitch, if... condition, and it'll pick up a vehicle if necessary. Then use the embark condition whether a vehicle is in tow to return to the repair point. Once that the two have reached the repair point, unhitch, then repeat the cycle. 

Eeeeer...  I can do that, if I am making mission yes.  But let's say if I join to mission that is in being played (Live / runtime)...  and I have multible units to take care off...   I can't,  can I?   I am in understanding that mission that is live you cannot scrip embark conditions.  

What happens to me so often on live missions...  is that I have such tunnel vision.. that I forget that I have some asset that is doing something and I might not remember to monitor it in time.  Hence to me...  those notices I did, were a big thing.   Well.. One more thing to learn. :)  

• Members

You can script it during the planning phase but not after, admittedly. But you could never script anything after the planning phase was over, so this is no exception.

You can however create isolated waypoints and routes at the edge of the screen with the waypoint tactics and embark conditions of choice during the planning phase, then copy them during the execution phase and paste them to routes of your units an an ad-hoc basis. Pasting routes and route chains will preserve these conditions and settings.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

You can script it during the planning phase but not after, admittedly. But you could never script anything after the planning phase was over, so this is no exception.

You can however create isolated waypoints and routes at the edge of the screen with the waypoint tactics and embark conditions of choice during the planning phase, then copy them during the execution phase and paste them to routes of your units an an ad-hoc basis. Pasting routes and route chains will preserve these conditions and settings.

👍  Awesome, nice tip , thank you!  :)