Defend tactic explanation.

IamKirk

In the user manual the behavior column contains the following sentence for the behavior of the Defend tactic:

Embark on the first attached, non-conditioned route if moderate losses are sustained.

I do not understand what that means; especially the "first attached" part.  Do I put a way point near them and a route away from the area?  Is that what that means?  If so, what type of route; retreat, assault, etc?

25 minutes ago, IamKirk said:

In the user manual the behavior column contains the following sentence for the behavior of the Defend tactic:

Embark on the first attached, non-conditioned route if moderate losses are sustained.

I do not understand what that means; especially the "first attached" part.  Do I put a way point near them and a route away from the area?  Is that what that means?  If so, what type of route; retreat, assault, etc?

No.

I'm afraid I don't have the software nearby so words will need to replace a picture.

If you have a unit proceeding to a point with two routes away from the waypoint with a defend tactic (imagine it starting at the base of a "Y"), with one route conditional (that is a dashed one with "embark if ...") and another that this not conditional (solid).

Then as the unit moves up the "Y" it gets to the junction and "defends".

If it takes moderate (no idea what that is 30%, 60% ... ) casualties it should move onto the non conditional (i.e. solid) route.

It will take casualties but then move on its own initiative.

Effectively it removes the need for you to right click on the unit and select "proceed".

Edited by Gibsonm

On 9/22/2020 at 12:18 AM, Gibsonm said:

If it takes moderate (no idea what that is 30%, 60% ... ) casualties

This is what had baffled me as well. What is moderate loss in Steelbeast? And what happens if unit is alone on waypoint with defend tactic? What then is moderate loss? Is it when unit is no longer operational?

Well the easiest option is probably to sandbox it.

Create a simple test scenario with say a "blind" 3 vehicle Tk Pl.

Set up the Y shaped idea above

Wait until it gets to the fork in the "Y"

Shoot at it.

Does it move after it loses 1, 2 , ... vehicles?

Then perhaps do it again with a 4 vehicle Pl.

Edited by Gibsonm

On 9/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, IamKirk said:

Like it has been said, you need to directly connect the units with routes and waypoints.

"putting things near" in this context only works with:

Recovery vehicles and their tow (Not the AT Missile)

AEV "BullDozers" and tank emplacements

These are the only units that will seek out said objects (within their radius) and interact with them.