Grenny

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Computer-controlled units will be affected just like human players. They will report a minefield if they discover the fence. Then someone will need to take a closer look. Until it has been investigated by engineers, everybody will treat it as a real minefield. Except, of course, for the party that owns the decoy. Their AI vehicles can easily drive through, in line formation at top speed, all guns blazing.

Superbe ! 👍👍

• Members

I take it as a compliment that we can still surprise you.

However, personally I see it as a rather stringent consequence of our development of the new terrain engine, which shifts the focus of our development more towards engineer related topics. And if you have to re-work some parts of the minefield code anyway, you can just as well tack on a project like this which will raise the paranoia level when dealing with mine obstacles, which can only be a good thing from a game design point of view.

47 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

more towards engineer related topics

I'm looking forward to you guys fulfilling whatever "engineer-related topics" are to your military customers so we can move on. 

I can see the utility for the PRO customers, but I don't see it fitting within the scope of the Personal Edition.

1. Engineer dig assets are 'usually' organized at the Brigade-level. That echelon is not easily depicted in SB. 

2. Obstacle emplacement & fighting positions (aka - the obstacle effort) takes HOURS to accomplish in real life (usually between 8-12 hours at the Brigade-level, in my experience).

3. I haven't timed it in game, because I'm not really interested in it - but I think it would also be time consuming to even dig enough positions for a tank company.

4. Most PE multiplayer games usually span about 2 hours, the longer ones only a few hours longer. Certainly not enough time to focus on the obstacle effort - unless you focus the entire MP session on digging ditches, which may be fun to some players (I can only think of one!)

• Members
8 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I'm looking forward to you guys fulfilling whatever "engineer-related topics" are to your military customers so we can move on. 

I can see the utility for the PRO customers, but I don't see it fitting within the scope of the Personal Edition.

1. Engineer dig assets are 'usually' organized at the Brigade-level. That echelon is not easily depicted in SB. 

2. Obstacle emplacement & fighting positions (aka - the obstacle effort) takes HOURS to accomplish in real life (usually between 8-12 hours at the Brigade-level, in my experience).

3. I haven't timed it in game, because I'm not really interested in it - but I think it would also be time consuming to even dig enough positions for a tank company.

4. Most PE multiplayer games usually span about 2 hours, the longer ones only a few hours longer. Certainly not enough time to focus on the obstacle effort - unless you focus the entire MP session on digging ditches, which may be fun to some players (I can only think of one!)

It's not so much about digging the shit in real-time. I agree: That would be boring.

No, you build it in the Mission Editor, and then it's about breaching the obstacle, which is usually done much quicker. Or you decide to bypass the obstacle, and deal with the consequences. Most of the earthworks we're working on will be deployable during the planning phase, which is another way to get the stuff quickly where you want it. And in any case, adding decoy minefields will be very useful whenever you deal with a scenario that involves mine obstacles (other than scatter mines).

7 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I think the Spike SR was literally the first thing I tested when I installed 4.0, I felt bad posting that bug report. :D

As I said in the video: now the sce designers need to handle this one with care. These squads are now rather powerful....

Those seem to be similar to Apilas112  in size and weight. It's one that I had to carry a lot.. you could carry two Alone. Third would slow and begin to wear you down or be on your way too much.. and you couldn't fight or move effectively.  So if so it makes 2 for each team member. 

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Wasn't the Apilas discontinued for harmful overpressure on launch?

I don't know.  But I suspect that would be true.  I served in 2006   so...    its been many years since I was there.   Also, there was rule that one was forbitted firing it more than 2-3 times during peace because of possible internal injuries.    Boom when firing that thing is shocking    😵