2021, new steelbeasts version features

Grenny

On 10/12/2020 at 7:36 PM, Ssnake said:

November, December ... it'll be ready when it's ready. We're shooting for November, but of course things depend a bit on the QA team's verdict.

Also, it'll be an update, not an upgrade.

So do we have to get a updated license to 4.2x for this?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, the 4.1 license will simply remain valid.

And we're in "December territory" for the release. Too many urgent bugs still that surfaced recently, and we'd like to have one week where nothing major pops up and known major bugs have been fixed. And I'm sure, that how you'd like us to handle it.

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

No, the 4.1 license will simply remain valid.

And we're in "December territory" for the release. Too many urgent bugs still that surfaced recently, and we'd like to have one week where nothing major pops up and known major bugs have been fixed. And I'm sure, that how you'd like us to handle it.

Cool... Thanks in advance!

So, you may be curious as to what is actually happening at eSim right now.

There you are.

The project plan is how Ssnake envisaged  the process. (Not too sure on the "kick off" meeting, that seems like a luxury. )

The reality?

Well, that is what's actually happening right now. This is why a release/update is always delayed.

FB_IMG_1606386687173.jpg

Edited by Hedgehog

• Members

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Maybe an attempt at humor. Whatever this is supposed to express, it's not what's happening at eSim Games; our reality is a tad more complex. Think of half a dozen parallel-running code streams that then go through the QA filter. At eSim Games, QA has veto powers over the decision whether or not something is ready for release.

We have a number of feature candidates. We're selecting which of them are mature enough for release. Also, I have never committed to a specific release date (and why would I, it's a freebie for you anyway, so there's no need for setting up a hype train to maximize sales numbers or anything). Of all the excrement that 2020 has been hurtling at us, this is not even a fly's speck. The feature freeze has been made two or three weeks ago, now it's whack-a-mole with bugs until no big ones are left. 

This thread's whole purpose was to set up the hype train.  If you don't want a hype train for your customers to get excited, don't create these threads and don't give estimated release dates, timeframes, schedules, or whatever.

On the other hand, bug fixes should be public and maybe more transparent.  

1 hour ago, thewood said:

This thread's whole purpose was to set up the hype train.  If you don't want a hype train for your customers to get excited, don't create these threads and don't give estimated release dates, timeframes, schedules, or whatever.

On the other hand, bug fixes should be public and maybe more transparent.  

Hey, that threat is what I do. mainly to inform...

Ok if Information is not wanted...I stop posting //  edit: On second thought, well: f+++ y++, just don't read it you don't like it...

Sorry for having bothered you

Edited by Grenny

54 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Hey, that threat is what I do. mainly to inform...

Ok if Information is not wanted...I stop posting //  edit: On second thought, well: f+++ y++, just don't read it you don't like it...

Sorry for having bothered you

Don't worry, most of us appreciate your posting new stuff. Keep them coming. :)

I really love everything you've added (late edit: the top attack 155mm projectile was top of my wish list!) !  Can I just ask if the "target fixation" bug has been fixed for the Spike series missiles and whether you have had the time to randomise the points of impact of the image seeking ATGWs a bit so that Spike doesn't almost always fail to kill the T-14 and the Javelin almost always kills it?  My testing (lots of it) found that Spike always hit from the same vertical angle whereas Javelin always hit the same physical point on the enemy vehicle regardless of the azimuth from which it was launched.A bit of randomisation would go a long way. Even if you could just fix "target fixation" that would be terrific.

Edited by ChrisWerb
Early onset dementia.

6 hours ago, thewood said:

I actually like the thread.  But its this I am commenting on.  It sure seems the devs don't like it.

"so there's no need for setting up a hype train to maximize sales numbers or anything"

Hey @thewood

I feel compelled to jump in here. What I believe Ssnake is saying is this update is free so why would he make commitments regarding scope and timing that he may not be able to keep, and will only get criticised by some members of the community for if he misses? Also, Grenny is only creating content to showcase forthcoming features for the benefit of the community, perhaps as a “semi-official” activity. 

I think it’s great the upcoming update is getting people excited for the new content, but from eSim’s point of view it’s gratis to existing users so we need to cut them some slack. How many times has eSim not delivered an update when they’ve committed to do so?

I’d hate to see this thread and Grenny’s content derailed because of “misunderstood” recent posts.

My $0.02 anyway.

Edited by Panzer_Leader

And my point is don't make commitments and then get snarky about the hype train that you, as a dev, helped create.  People can give previews, ask for dates, speculate, hype it up however they want.  But the dev is in  here complaining about the hype train in a thread built to be the lead engine on the hype train.

No one ever forced the devs to give an estimated date.  When they do, its like walking on egg shells to ask if they are going to hit that a timeframe.  If the devs could hit just one commitment on the first shot, I would personally feel a little less jaded.  But I am not sure they have ever hit one initial timeframe.

Someone comes in and tries to put a little humor around it and the main dev rep gets edgy in his response.  Going back to my original point.  If you don't want people to post jokes about the ability to hit even two-month timeframes, either don't commit to them or hit them.  Its probably a wash whether people would bail on the game either because you can't hit dates or you don't communicate them.  Either way, the dev's internal development process is the issue here, not some poor guy who thought he was being funny.

2 hours ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Hey @thewood

I feel compelled to jump in here. What I believe Ssnake is saying is this update is free so why would he make commitments regarding scope and timing that he may not be able to keep, and will only get criticised by some members of the community for? Also, Grenny is only creating content to showcase forthcoming features for the benefit of the community, perhaps as a “semi-official” activity. 

I think it’s great the upcoming update is getting people excited for the new content, but from eSim’s point of view it’s gratis to existing users so we need to cut them some slack. How many times has eSim not delivered an update when they’ve committed to do so?

I’d hate to see this thread and Grenny’s content derailed because of “misunderstood” recent posts.

My $0.02 anyway.

+1

Keep up the good work Grenny

Stressful times Guys for all,

But at least we have something to look forward to if its late its late,

bug fixes may not be sexy but are vital.

I would rather wait a bit longer for the release.

I’m looking forward to this update. I always look forward to any increase in the fidelity of this sim. This one will be free, makes my day but I’d pay for it too. 
Esim has never hit a projected release prediction in all the years I’ve been waiting for them and Ssnake has admitted in the past that he hates making announcements stating a specific date. 
It’s all good to me, take your time, we’re not going anywhere. 

Nice videos too Grenny, I subscribed to your channel.

• Members

Just some clarification, I have no interest to extend this debate longer than absolutely necessary:

That some of you perceive a hype train is something over which I have little control. _I_ at least didn't create it. There's not a single official eSim Games video about it on the Steel Beasts channel. There is no announcement of an impending upgrade on our homepage. All there is is this thread, and that was started by a beta tester. With my knowledge and my consent, yes, but without effective control over content and timing - except that I defined things that should NOT be mentioned because they were deemed unlikely to end up in the 4.2 PE release.

Does such low-key public communication constitute a hype train?

Only if you redefine the meaning of it.

God knows, my own attempts at levity have failed in the past. Humor does not always succeed even with the best of intentions.

What I do know is how hard the team is at work, under which pressure they are, what workload the beta testers have to lift. I admit, I'm better at handling jokes at my expense than at that of the team or the company. The graph suggested that this update incorporates nothing but changes that could be developed in eight weeks, and that 4.75 months out of seven were spent slacking. I will not apologize for my perception of it as a needless and malignant provocation. It probably wasn't meant like that, but that's how it came across; should I just ignore it? Should I laught at it and say, "yeah, that's us?" How will the team's morale respond if the public face doesn't speak up for them?

Of course I could tell the tem to simply not pay attention to the user forum. But that's in nobody's interest either. Maybe that makes me "edgy". Maybe I shouldn't post at 2 AM in a forum after a long work day, and sleep more. All I'm after is a friendly reception when a free update is coming that is decidedly more than just a patch. I've seen a lot of that in this thread, and I try to see it as a positive thing if people get impatient; after all, it indicates that people like what they're seeing in the preview.

16 hours ago, hoggydog said:

Hmmm, Hedge's attempt at humour seems to have missed the mark by some margin.  

That's you on Santa Ssnakes naughty list Hedge!

As someone who constantly manages projects....yep. I think the joke was widely missed.  

Hedgehogs image depicts (as a joke) how most project management planning timelines first appear versus how most projects get completed....for those with no f**king humor around here.

Edited by Apocalypse 31