2021, new steelbeasts version features

Grenny

@Splash I'll start by saying this isn't necessarily the right answer, but it is an answer.

Looking at the reference panels (square, diamond, and circle), all of them are readily visible through thermals at 1,000 meters, based on the heat reflecting from the metal surface, and what I assume is some version of thermal tape. This creates a very distinctive signature that can easily be identified. Below is a photo comparing a diamond reference panel next to a VS-17 panel. Both are at 1,000 meters, and this is viewed through the M1A2's GPS. 

VS-17.thumb.jpg.af4b4692b34d7f2349f34d4464d2247a.jpg

I had to circle the VS-17 panel so you actually have an idea where it is in the photo! 

Based on this, there are two possibilities, both involving a prepared defense. The first is using them as range markers. While this might work well for weapon systems with a shorter max-effective range than your typical tank main gun, you will need to silhouette the panel against the sky to enable easy identification. Here is a square panel at 2,000 meters. While it is easier to identify than the VS-17, it does start to blend into the background.

SS_23_23_18.thumb.jpg.74b3cbee99b4d076eca05d461f803e7b.jpg

Option number two, and what I would recommend, is using them to mark sectors of fire at echelon. Here is an example format of how these could be used at the Company level:

Shape Meaning:

Square - Right Limit (TRP 1)

Circle - Center of assigned sector of fire. (TRP 2)

Diamond - Left Limit (TRP 3)

OR

Square - Right and Left Limit (TRP 1 and 4)

Circle - (TRP 2)

Diamond - (TRP 3)

Color Meaning:

Orange - 1st Platoon

Silver - 2nd Platoon

Black - 3rd Platoon 

This allows each platoon to visually confirm they are in the right position to see all of their sector of fire, and then allows each panel to become a target reference point for quick focus ("Tanks, TRP 1" as opposed to "Tanks by the clump of trees! No, not that clump, the other clump more to your right!"). 

Edited by Mirzayev
Wrong second photo.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There is no standardization as far as I'm aware of, but TBH I haven't put effort into research.

I wanted to have different shapes so that mission designers (and players in a network session) can use Squares for one party, rounds for others, etc. so that if you run into a panel in the 3D view later in the game, you know whether it's from your own party or created by others.

Then there's a whole bunch of nation-specific panels that were added by customer request (fair enough, if they want to use SB Pro for soldiers to familiarize them with the meanings).

We also added the white spears with no panel or flag on them. These are tied to the lane marking system where an AEV has two "quivers" for lack of a better word that drop these poles at intervals while the AEV is pushing a lane through a minefield. These are in because there's a technical reason to have a variant that is nothing but a minimal drag spear to fall into the ground to stick up vertically.

Finally we added warning signs reflecting my training as an NBC recce guy (on foot, yay) as to indicate hazards that aren't present in SB Pro but which creative mission designers could use for atmosphere, or to indicate boundaries of penalty zones.

And minefield warning signs, which actually ARE a hazard in SB Pro and which we added as to allow mission deisgners the tactical twist of decoy minefields.

Just realized there is a new release - although I still cannot run it this got me intrigued:

Map Editor/ Added Land Object Lines (LOL) as configurable objects. You may compose the LOLs from available elements of the land object palette (trees, boulders, bushes, ...) and configure the density of the LOL, then save it as a template, and create these ob-jects in your maps."

I assume you cannot do the same with buildings at the moment right? (would come in handy when creating larger cities)

• Members
6 hours ago, daskal said:

Just realized there is a new release - although I still cannot run it this got me intrigued:

Map Editor/ Added Land Object Lines (LOL)

I assume you cannot do the same with buildings at the moment right? (would come in handy when creating larger cities)

You assume right, they don't work like that.

11 hours ago, delta6 said:

So 500 pound bombs won't do it okay..

Mission editor

R click

Add obstacle

IED

Configure IED

Anything bigger than 120mm in calibre usually makes a sizeable hole.

The crowd pleaser (2000lbr) makes a hole big enough to hide a small tank (T-55, AMX-13, Scimitar), you can get most of an M1 or Leopard 2 there too.

Add detonation trigger

(Set condition)

Test

Admire the fireworks

Edited by Hedgehog

On 1/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, Splash said:

Question about the wide array of new panels available for placement at runtime: For the non-military among us, is there some available documentation that details the meanings/uses of the various types, colors and shapes? I took a skim through STANAG2019 in the docs folder to see if it might be there, but didn't find anything.

Small panels of different shapes are often used on tank ranges to indicate the different lanes and the various firing points (bounds). Who knows maybe we will even get range targets in the futre 😉

1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

Small panels of different shapes are often used on tank ranges to indicate the different lanes and the various firing points (bounds). Who knows maybe we will even get range targets in the futre 😉

Or here, small panels that the BN recon platoon wouldplace along march routes or to indicate assembly/staging areas

To build up on the "crater" argument:

I'm also interested in this issue. Saw some nice holes in the ground on Youtube videos, but didn't saw them in game. Any kind of explosions known to ne (airbombs, artillery, tank shells etc.) don't leave a trace.

So only IED make the craters?

Edited by solus

• Members

FFS, they are coming. We've implemented them for IEDs so that's where you can look at them; it's been explained in detail how you can do it. Eventually we'll get around to implement this for other munitions as well.

Software and physical-world behavior are different. Just because IEDs can make holes doesn't mean that similarly-sized explosions from other sources will automatically do so, too.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

FFS, they are coming. We've implemented them for IEDs so that's where you can look at them; it's been explained in detail how you can do it. Eventually we'll get around to implement this for other munitions as well.

Software and physical-world behavior are different. Just because IEDs can make holes doesn't mean that similarly-sized explosions from other sources will automatically do so, too.

I looked up at the meaning of FFS! And now I know.

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

People's demands for "new stuff" is insatiable.

18 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

People's demands for "new stuff" is insatiable.

I would prefer an endless stream of ideas, at least you know what your customers want.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, solus said:

I looked up at the meaning of FFS! And now I know.

Was it "Fresh Fruit Salad"?

4 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

I would prefer an endless stream of ideas, at least you know what your customers want.

Sure but perhaps give them a month and acknowledge that they have worked very hard in a difficult year to get something out.

I think I've seen maybe 10 "Thank you, its appreciated" posts in the Tsunami of "I know you just brought out 4.250 but we demand the following bazillion new things" type posts.

• 2 weeks later...