Upgrades for 4.1

Strathcona's_Horse

Hello, I recently upgraded my SB version from 4.0 to the latest 4.1 patch. I've noticed that my FPS has a taken a significant hit and now my game stutters often. I've tried reducing all the Graphics settings to the lowest possible, and it has improved framerates to some extent, however the stuttering problem still persists. I've read several topics on this form pertaining to SB 4.1 needing a more powerful computer.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-9600k (3.70 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 950 2 GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

500 GB SSD

What should I look at upgrading to improve my performance in SB?

9 minutes ago, Strathcona's_Horse said:

Hello, I recently upgraded my SB version from 4.0 to the latest 4.1 patch. I've noticed that my FPS has a taken a significant hit and now my game stutters often. I've tried reducing all the Graphics settings to the lowest possible, and it has improved framerates to some extent, however the stuttering problem still persists. I've read several topics on this form pertaining to SB 4.1 needing a more powerful computer.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-9600k (3.70 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 950 2 GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

500 GB SSD

What should I look at upgrading to improve my performance in SB?

Graphic card would be a good place to start!

• Members
1 hour ago, Strathcona's_Horse said:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the money for a 1080 at the moment.

Note that he recommended a 1070. But of course, for some that's still too expensive, so the 1060 would be next in line.

Generally, 2...4GByte dedicated video RAM should do it, but more is more of course. At the same time, having lost of VRAM but a slow GPU isn't going to help you much either.

But there's an abundance of graphics card performance comparisons on the net. Once that you have settled on a certain budget you should pick any card that falls into that budget, and then search for alternate models in the same price range. Once that you have settled for two to four models, check out places like tomshardware.com for performance reviews. Pay attention to the year when these reviews were published. A $300.- card from 2015 is different from a $300.- card today.

I usually replace my computer when it turns four years old. This time I intended to hang on to it a little longer for financial reasons and because we had doubts the computer shop was still trading.

The current PC is just over three and a half years old and it has developed a problem that causes it to reboot ' The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.' Oddly it seems to occur when chrome is running only, it is mostly avoidable.

Additionally occasional SB just ceases to proceed, restart of SB being an easy fix. Two nights ago I looked at the CPU temp while running SB; about 60 deg C and up to 95 +, I suspect a fan or two no longer function. Last night the PC failed to proceed while running SB and refused to restart. It booted up fine this morning.

So I am lightning the load on the PC and physically rearranging things so it gets better airflow; to allow time to write the specs for a new PC; as well as write up and print out all the info I need to switch to a new one. Fortunately some new tax breaks have been announced for this tax year :)

It will be at least a month before a new PC would arrive.

I am assuming that the heat of the CPU was affected by the restricted multi-threading in SB (obviously not the major cause), so one question is might multi-threading be increased in December's release?

And any advice on the specs for the new machine, I usually go one step + back from the top of the line for longevity, that didn't work this last time time:(

I have not looked at what is available now, so any advice would be gratefully received. Here are the specs so far:

Above Intel Core i7 8700

32 GB memory

Above nVidia RTX 2060 video 14 GB + memory

• Members

My new computer is coming next week. I chose an AMD Ryzen 9 (3950X), will for the moment continue to use a graphics card that I have lying around, then switch to an RTX 3070 coming spring when availability should no longer be an issue.

• I see no reason to pick Intel at this point. They are severely behind technologically, and overpriced (because they can). For the Ryzen models with 105W power consumption however, if you want it quiet without headphones on, watercooling appears advisable. But there's also the Ryzen 9 with "just" 12 cores that needs only 65W, so that's the reasonable man's choice right now.
  • I see no reason to pick any RTX20x0 model. The RTX 30 series seems to be massively superior in every way, and in the case of the 3070 it seems to be cheaper and substantially faster than the 2080; even the 3060 might surpass the 2080, at least in some areas.
  • 32GByte because RAM is cheap, but I see little reason to go beyond that

Thank you, good stuff!

I usually give the shop a couple of options for every thing and they come back with comments and suggestions in their quote. I include a description of use, this time I think it will be gaming and general use. Last time I mentioned VR and that led me down a rabbit hole that back filled behind me.