Sign in to follow this  
Strathcona's_Horse

Upgrades for 4.1

Hello, I recently upgraded my SB version from 4.0 to the latest 4.1 patch. I've noticed that my FPS has a taken a significant hit and now my game stutters often. I've tried reducing all the Graphics settings to the lowest possible, and it has improved framerates to some extent, however the stuttering problem still persists. I've read several topics on this form pertaining to SB 4.1 needing a more powerful computer.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-9600k (3.70 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 950 2 GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

500 GB SSD

What should I look at upgrading to improve my performance in SB?

9 minutes ago, Strathcona's_Horse said:

Hello, I recently upgraded my SB version from 4.0 to the latest 4.1 patch. I've noticed that my FPS has a taken a significant hit and now my game stutters often. I've tried reducing all the Graphics settings to the lowest possible, and it has improved framerates to some extent, however the stuttering problem still persists. I've read several topics on this form pertaining to SB 4.1 needing a more powerful computer.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-9600k (3.70 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 950 2 GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

500 GB SSD

What should I look at upgrading to improve my performance in SB?

Graphic card would be a good place to start!

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the money for a 1080 at the moment. Any idea how much Video RAM SB 4.1 typically uses or does it vary between PC to PC? 

I have one laptop that has a 1660 and it runs fine on default SB settings.  And thats a laptop.  A desktop should be pretty decent with that.

1 hour ago, Strathcona's_Horse said:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the money for a 1080 at the moment.

Note that he recommended a 1070. But of course, for some that's still too expensive, so the 1060 would be next in line.

Generally, 2...4GByte dedicated video RAM should do it, but more is more of course. At the same time, having lost of VRAM but a slow GPU isn't going to help you much either.

But there's an abundance of graphics card performance comparisons on the net. Once that you have settled on a certain budget you should pick any card that falls into that budget, and then search for alternate models in the same price range. Once that you have settled for two to four models, check out places like tomshardware.com for performance reviews. Pay attention to the year when these reviews were published. A $300.- card from 2015 is different from a $300.- card today.

I bought my 1070 ti for about £130 almost 2 years ago on ebay. If you can't afford a good gpu, at least be alert for bargains on ebay. Just recently I saw a 2080 go for £399, rx 5700 going for £320...

Edited by stormrider_sp

The GT520M was built in 2011. Its main advantage is that it draws only 12 watts. 48 shading units (current cards have them in the thousands), 8 texture mapping units... well, I suppose the result can't surprise anyone.

7 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

I used to run a GT520M

Slide show, but it did run.

Ah so you could keep up with the action. ;)