New player Intro

Saint19

Hi all,

Just purchased SB about a week ago now on a one month trial.  I've run through the training scenarios for the M1A1 and am just now getting into Camp Hornfelt.  My primary purchase was to try it out in comparison to SABOW(playing demo of that too).  I had the original version of SB back in 2000....but never really played much.  Still have the original CD for that and may put it on my laptop.

Being legally blind I was unable to join the military, but I enjoy sims.  Not sure on multiplayer due to other concerns, but am not against it.  So I wanted to try it out to see if it could at least work for me single player.

I don't have a fast machine, just an i5-7400 3ghz, 12GB ram, Intel HD 630 on Windows 10.

Just thought I'd say hi.  

Saint19

Did the Defeat Inferior Force mission at Camp Hornfelt.   Figured I’d try Tanks Again v2.   Got whooped over and over.  Most I got were 3 tanks.  

part of my problem is experience.  Plus still not sure whether to play that one as Commander or Gunner.   I get messed up on controls so went back to the range as well.  

Saint19

Hi Saint19. and welcome to the community.

It mite be worth joining a MP session with one of the VU,s

Being a newbie is no disadvantage there a decent bunch of guys.

If you have already mastered the basic fire control elements thats all you really have to know to join a VU

You will learn a lot from the guys( i am talking from experience) 

They will teach you more in a few session then weeks studying the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

1 month time-limited is over.  Had lots of fun.  Kept getting clobbered I Instant Action and Tanks Again.   

also got SABOW and Steel Fury.  Nice stuff too.   SB has very different feel.  Modern tanks and more of a “sim” feel since you control different mission parameters.  I like both.   

but I fear my system can’t keep up.  I turned down gfx as well.  But in wooded areas. Yikes.  

it’s a lowly i5-7400 3ghz 12gb Ram, Intel-he 630.  Windows 10.   (Dell computer).  240w PSU.... I do mostly hex and counter stuff or CMANO, CMO, just started Armored Brigade(suck there too).   All those don’t require so much power. 

I only one working since we homeschool our 5 babies.  So don’t want to spend too much on upgrading a machine. 

I don’t do much multi, but am willing to try.   I assume multi takes even more power?   If I get a new card has to be low profile.   Even a little get 1030?

Also if I get new card would that void the time-limited license 1 year license I am thinking of.  I willing to do classic license cuz really like SB.  But am concerned of machine specs.  

Saint19

1 hour ago, Saint19 said:

I don’t do much multi, but am willing to try.   I assume multi takes even more power?   If I get a new card has to be low profile.   Even a little get 1030?

Saint19

No, not really.

The real issue is managing the network traffic (which is an issue for the person hosting, not you as the client).

The easiest way to test is to look in the "Multi-player Engagement" area, find a group that plays in a similar time zone and join a session.

If your machine can't cope, you'll know.

If it can, you'll know.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
3 hours ago, Saint19 said:

Also if I get new card would that void the time-limited license 1 year license I am thinking of.

No. Changing the graphics card will not invalidate your license. This basically only happens if you have to reinstall Windows.

3 hours ago, Saint19 said:

I willing to do classic license cuz really like SB.

Take those extra 85.- dollars and either put them in the savings jar, or go for a slightly better graphics card than the 1030 that you're considering. I'm with Gibsonm here. Don't upgrade your machine. Go and play in a network session. Then decide if you want a new graphics card. while you play single player sessions, consider modifying them in the mission editor for low visibility settings. Trees that you can't see because of the bad weather are trees that the graphics card need not render.

2 minutes ago, Saint19 said:

Thanx so much for your help gents.  I did move forward with the time-limited option for 1 year.

Saint19

We have a session in about 11 hours, otherwise as @Gibsonm wisely stated, then find a VU in line with your timezone, Or TGIF. 

This is community where - as in any collection of adults - we respectfully might not always agree on everything, but we try to help each other. You could also ask for an ADHOC at your leisure.

Nike-Ajax,

Thank you so much for the offer.  But so far can barely manipulate this m1a1 at all.  Let alone understanding the editor.   I did the tutorials however.   

last night was the best I had ever done on Tanks Again having killed 5.  I found the 6th but couldn’t get my gunner to fire.  I tend to play more from Commander sometimes.   I am legally blind. So sometimes the leasing is an issue on the m1a1.  I will try a different tank soon.   

Thanx for the offer.  I should also mention that I am in the US Central Time Zone.   

Saint19

Edited by Saint19

On 11/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Saint19 said:

Nike-Ajax,

Thank you so much for the offer.  But so far can barely manipulate this m1a1 at all.  Let alone understanding the editor.   I did the tutorials however.   

last night was the best I had ever done on Tanks Again having killed 5.  I found the 6th but couldn’t get my gunner to fire.  I tend to play more from Commander sometimes.   I am legally blind. So sometimes the leasing is an issue on the m1a1.  I will try a different tank soon.   

Thanx for the offer.  I should also mention that I am in the US Central Time Zone.   

Saint19

The M1A1 uses old Thermal sights which, as far as I know, were based on 320x200px resolution. Use the newer M1A2. It's has far better optics for both the gunner and commander.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:42 PM, Saint19 said:

I am legally blind. So sometimes the leasing is an issue on the m1a1.  I will try a different tank soon.

3 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

The M1A1 uses old Thermal sights which, as far as I know, were based on 320x200px resolution. Use the newer M1A2. It's has far better optics for both the gunner and commander.

Or try any of the T tanks; if you cant see it easily youre not close enough to shoot it anyway ;)

6 hours ago, KateSwatch said:

Hi everyone I'm also new I hope for a kind and responsive community🥰

Welcome,

If you haven't already, have a look here: https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Main_Page#New_Player_Starter_Pack

Happy to help with any queries you may have (if I can). :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanx for the info gents.  I will try to start learning the m1a2 now as well.   I did end up getting a little gt-1030 for my machine.  It’s a little Dell and really couldn’t handle any other card.  Not a good card I know, but clearly made a difference in my machine.  

Saint19