Global ORBAT and TO&E Thread

Mirzayev

Olvana - Heavy Combined Arms Battalion Detachment (BDET) - Action Element (Tier 2)

The idea behind this fictional template is to depict a Chinese-style modern Battalion-sized element that can be readily incorporated into scenarios to present a capable and realistic OPFOR. The Olvanan Heavy Combined Arms BDET (Tier 2) is based around a equal-parts BMP-3 and T-90 formation that has been designated as the Action Element of it's higher HQ, a Brigade Tactical Group (BTG). This element is expected to accomplish the BTG's primary task and purpose, and therefor has been task organized with additional attachments to increase its combat power to provide a perceived overmatch versus BLUFOR. Compared to a Donovian BDET, this formation lacks the overmatch in indirect fires, does not have attack aviation available, and trades the mobility of a Light Recon Platoon for an enlarged Heavy Recon Platoon. This formation is roughly based on the new Chinese-style task organization in a similar manner to an American Brigade Combat Team. The equipment within this unit template enables it to fight effectively during conditions of limited visibility. 

Spoiler

Combat strength: 
      20x T-90
      35x BMP-3
      9x 2S3
      6x 2S19
      9x AT-14 Teams
      3x AGM Teams
      3x Mistral Teams
      6x Scout Teams
      1x FO Team    
      32x LMG Teams
      35x Rifle Teams

Organization:
      1x Headquarters consisting of:
         1x T-90 (Commander)
         2x BMP-3 (Deputy Commander)
         1x Heavy Recon Platoon consisting of:
            6x BMP-3s with 6x Scout Teams and 6x AT-14 Teams
         1x Support Platoon consisting of:
            1x Ural-4320 Supply
            1x Ural-4320 Repair
            1x BMP-1 / Medic 

2x Mechanized Infantry Companies consisting of: 
         1x BMP-3 (Commander)
         3x Mechanized Infantry Platoons consisting of:
            3x BMP-3s with 3x Rifle Teams and 3x LMG Teams
            1x Ural-4320 Supply
            1x Ural-4320 Repair

2x Tank Company consisting of:
         1x T-90 (Commander)
         3x Tank Platoons consisting of:
            3x T-90s
            1x Ural-4320 Supply
            1x Wisent ARV

1x Weapons Company consisting of: 
         1x BMP-3 (Commander)
         1x Heavy Weapons Platoon consisting of:
            3x BMP-3s with 3x AT-14 Teams and 3x AGM Teams
         1x ADA Platoon consisting of:
            3x BMP-3 with 3x Mistral Teams and 3x Rifle Teams
         2x Mortar Platoons consisting of:
            3x 2S19s
            2x Ural-4320 Supply

1x Artillery Battery consisting of: 
        1x ACRV/MT-LBU with 1x FSO (Commander)
         3x Artillery Platoons consisting of:
            3x 2S35s
            3x Ural-4320 Supply

NOTES:
 * Task Organization reflects a typical Olvanan Heavy Combined Arms Battalion Detachment assigned as the Action Element of the higher BTG.
 * Action Elements denote the Decisive Operation in OPFOR doctrine. This BDET is equipped to accomplish its higher HQ's task and purpose.  
 * 1x Artillery Battery is depicted "on the map." They may be replicated through using off-map artillery support. 
 * The majority of support assets are not depicted for simplicity; Support Platoons provided are for basic continuation of combat operations.
 * The Weapons Company is not intended to fight organically. Its assets will be attached to other elements as required by task and purpose.
 * This formation is designed to be able to fight effectively at night. 

Recommended callsign template:
     OPFOR Callsign Template
        * this template is included with the download of this template. 

Made by Mirzayev.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Mirzayev

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

According to a video I just watched a captured Russian manual states the a new "Assault Detachment " has been formed to replace BTG's for assaulting in Fortified positions . They consist of.

6x T-72's

12x IFV's

? x Man portable themobaric rockets ? Perhaps RPO-A Shmel ?

?x ATGM systems

12x Towed artillery and self propelled mortars

Detachment is made up of

3x assault companies and a tank section.

Each company has command element,  2x assault platoons (Less than normal platoon strength - 12-15 men). A UAV team,

an AFV group*, a fire support platoon, and an artillery support platoon.

A reserve section ??, a Medevac section

*A single Tank and 4x BMP/BMD IFV with HMG and mortars, ATGM's

Anyone have any more info ?

Edited by Parachuteprone

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:38 PM, Parachuteprone said:

According to a video I just watched a captured Russian manual states the a new "Assault Detachment " has been formed to replace BTG's for assaulting in Fortified positions . They consist of.

6x T-72's

12x IFV's

? x Man portable themobaric rockets ? Perhaps RPO-A Shmel ?

?x ATGM systems

12x Towed artillery and self propelled mortars

Detachment is made up of

3x assault companies and a tank section.

Each company has command element,  2x assault platoons (Less than normal platoon strength - 12-15 men). A UAV team,

an AFV group*, a fire support platoon, and an artillery support platoon.

A reserve section ??, a Medevac section

*A single Tank and 4x BMP/BMD IFV with HMG and mortars, ATGM's

Anyone have any more info ?

I'm not sure if you are still looking for some additional information. If so, you may find this video interesting.

It is based on the captured manual, with some additional information.

Edited by Falcon

• 4 months later...

Here is a visual representation of a modern Russian Motor Rifle Regiment/Separate Brigade of about 2017+ I submitted a template on a few years ago.  I had to make a few liberties on the Recon company which only has TWO platoons instead of three plus a CO vehicle because the system only allows up 16 (actually it's 15) companies and up to 16 platoons per company (actually less than that also).  I had also broken down the tank battalion and detached platoons to rifle companies for the same reason.  I will do my best to update this.  The call signs were created specific to this template.

Hope this helps. 

2021-04-03 (2).png

3 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

Here is a visual representation of a modern Russian Motor Rifle Regiment/Separate Brigade of about 2017+ I submitted a template on a few years ago.  I had to make a few liberties on the Recon company which only has TWO platoons instead of three plus a CO vehicle because the system only allows up 16 (actually it's 15) companies and up to 16 platoons per company (actually less than that also).  I had also broken down the tank battalion and detached platoons to rifle companies for the same reason.  I will do my best to update this.  The call signs were created specific to this template.

You are aware that you can re-commence/ change labels if you need?

i.e. you can recommence the Platoon numbering / labeling at say Platoon 9 (.... 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, 3, ...) if necessary?

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 months later...

I found this old manual in my basement: FKSM 71-8, Armor/Cavalry Reference Data from the Armor Center dated January 1995.  This gives a perfect OOB of US Army units for different battalions based on the era from about 1984 to roughly 2000 in which I had served.  This is a detailed TO&E of a mechanized battalion in the exact same configuration I had seen when I was with 2/7 Inf, 24 ID:

4x Companies (A, B, C, D)

• CO track (M3)
  • XO track (M3)
  • 3x mech platoons (1, 2, 3) each with 4x M2s

NOTE: the vehicles were numbered within the platoons.  The first number was the platoon, the second was the vehicle designation.  EXAMPLE: 1st platoon had tracks 11, 12, 15 (PSG) and 16 (PL).  Second platoon was 21, 22, 25, and 26.  Third platoon was 31, 32, 35, and 36.  The CO was 66, the XO was 65.

The radio call signs were 1st platoon: Red, 2nd Platoon: white, 3rd Platoon: Blue, HQ: Black.  The 1SG was in an M113, and the HQ section had 2x trucks; one was for the NBC Sgt.  In a platoon, the first two tracks were 1 and 2(Red 1, Blue 2, etc).  The two dismount squads were 3, and 4.  The PSG was 5, and the PL was 6.  The CO was Black 6, the XO was Black 5, and the 1SG was Black 1.

1x Anti-Armor Company (E)

• CO truck (Hummer)
  • XO truck (Hummer)
  • 3x Plt HQ, with 3x M113s (PL)
  • 6x sections, each with 2x M901s

NOTE: the HQ section was exactly the same as with a line company as above.

HEADQUARTERS Company

HHC

• Bn CO (M3 or Hummer)
  • XO (M577 or Hummer)
  • SGM (Hummer)  NOTE: The Sergeant Major was the one man in the battalion you avoided at all costs, as they were as mean as a badger on drugs!

Scout Platoon

• 2X HQ section (Hummer with M2 HMG, Hummer with TOW)
  • 2x scout sections, one with 4x M2s, the other with 4x TOWs)

Mortar Platoon

• 2x HQ section (both Hummers)
  • 2x FDC section (2x M577).
  • 2x 4.2" mounted squads, each with 3x M106 carriers

Medical Platoon

• 2x HQ section (CO Hummer, 2x M577s, 2x trucks)  NOTE: this section formed the battalion Casualty Collection Point
  • 4x Ambulance squads, each with 2x M113 Medic tracks)

Recovery Platoon

• 3x M881 RCVs

Maintenance Supply Section

• 6x Repair trucks with trailers

Transportation Platoon

• 7x Supply trucks
  • 4x fuel trucks
  • 3x Chemical trucks

Each of the five line companies were assigned a semi-dedicated service units called Rifle/Anti-Armor sections.  These were comprised of:

2x Supply/transportation trucks

1x fuelers

1x maintenance truck with trailer

1x Repair track (M113)

1x M881 RCV

Engineers, FOs (FIST-V), and air defense units (M163s) were at the brigade or division level and were assigned on a part-time, irregular basis.  I did not include the S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, sections, nor did I include the Food Service section...heheh.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by RedWardancer