Am I the only one here that does this?

ChrisWerb

Time to fess up! How many of you boot up Mission Editor and just take one of the hyperrealistic vehicles on a spin around the gorgeous maps? I never tire of this and particularly love watching the realistic suspension movement over the improved "bumpy" terrain and the clouds of dust vehicles throw up out on the savannah. I love to set up improvised firing ranges watch tanks shoot and the dust they throw up too - a lot of time, energy and love went into making that experience so visually and audibly realistic. I get that "new car feeling" everytime I see the start menu appear on my screen. No other sim or game has ever made me feel this way. 

I always try and take a moment to listen to the T-72 idle.

Though I notice the suspension is a little 'too' quick in springing down after going over a bump.

Its like there's no mass/inertia to the arm/wheels setup

I mean don't get me wrong

I appreciate the bouncy roadwheels and stuff

But

It could do with a tweak to get it 'just right'

4 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Is it the same kind of issue as the T-72 gun return?

Where it's so bloody awkward to fix that the

"we can live with that"

factor comes into play?

well, the animation tools for vehicles in SB are practically non-existent, so a programmer has to go in and manually program in the movement. otherwise there would be a working animated autoloader inside the T-72 series, the ammunition doors on the leopard and abrams would move, and well.. a bunch of other things that i prepared for movement, but never happened. 

21 minutes ago, dejawolf said:

well, the animation tools for vehicles in SB are practically non-existent, so a programmer has to go in and manually program in the movement. otherwise there would be a working animated autoloader inside the T-72 series, the ammunition doors on the leopard and abrams would move, and well.. a bunch of other things that i prepared for movement, but never happened. 

And of course all that would be a "Pet Project"

1 hour ago, dejawolf said:

not to mention working blowoff panels, and shell ejection. paticularly for the CV9040 this is an issue, since it throws it's white-hot shells high into the air. 

Well the just went through a rapid temp change to higher temperatures , just seconds ago, seems reasonable they be a bit hot. I still have the marks on my fingers from cleaning the empty shell casing bin right below the breach....:)...a bit too soon.

1 hour ago, 12Alfa said:

Well the just went through a rapid temp change to higher temperatures , just seconds ago, seems reasonable they be a bit hot. I still have the marks on my fingers from cleaning the empty shell casing bin right below the breach....:)...a bit too soon.

yeah, my main point is that shell-casings are hotspots that can give away your position in thermal. especially when they are shot up through the roof, and over treetops and buildings. as an enemy vehicle, you could simply aim below where the shellcasings are,

and kill the vehicle. so it's a design flaw that's not properly represented in SB. 

1 hour ago, dejawolf said:

yeah, my main point is that shell-casings are hotspots that can give away your position in thermal. especially when they are shot up through the roof, and over treetops and buildings. as an enemy vehicle, you could simply aim below where the shellcasings are,

and kill the vehicle. so it's a design flaw that's not properly represented in SB. 

Yes one could fire below the casings...except in the rare times , those casing held a projectile now moving at a rather high speed towards you. In this case, it's most likely your last view :)

4 hours ago, 12Alfa said:

Yes one could fire below the casings...except in the rare times , those casing held a projectile now moving at a rather high speed towards you. In this case, it's most likely your last view :)

Unless it's a Soviet era all steel crap rod that'll just go *Bonk!* and fly off into the day somewhere lol

On 11/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, ChrisWerb said:

Time to fess up! How many of you boot up Mission Editor and just take one of the hyperrealistic vehicles on a spin around the gorgeous maps? I never tire of this and particularly love watching the realistic suspension movement over the improved "bumpy" terrain and the clouds of dust vehicles throw up out on the savannah. I love to set up improvised firing ranges watch tanks shoot and the dust they throw up too - a lot of time, energy and love went into making that experience so visually and audibly realistic. I get that "new car feeling" everytime I see the start menu appear on my screen. No other sim or game has ever made me feel this way. 

When I'm map making I tend to do that to see if there are obvious issues and to see if I can jazz things up some.