Newbie questions

Trakcow

Hello!

I'm looking to get into steel beasts. I have know the simulator for a long time but never purchased it. Because of multiple reasons. But now i want to get a license for a month and try it out!

I do have some questions that i can't really find answers for yet. Maybe someone can answer them for me? Would be much appreciated.

1. Are there any Dutch units in the PE version?

2. Is the map editor included in the PE version?

3. Is this simulator also playable as a high command? I see some videos of people going into a map kind of interface and setting out waypoints, and then switching units. Is this the PE version?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Trakcow said:

Thank you very much Grenny! Appreciated!

Hope it helps...

IMO the best way to figure if Sb is for you or not, get a 1 month licence and try it out. Don't forget to try multi-player! For european timings, there are for example the kanium games at sunday 20:00 CET

2. There is a map editor but it doesn't allow you to create new maps. In the Pro PE, as a product differentiation, it doesn't allow you to import a heightmap, only to modify the things that are on top of the height map, like painting grass, sand, trees and textures, placing buildings, roads and fences and modifying the characteristics of each of these types, like bumpiness, hardness.

3. You can play as high command, although anything larger than company level, you'd be in for a hard time managing everything simultaneously since the biggest formations are of platoon level of up to 6 vehicles. You can bunch up predefined platoons so you set waypoints for one platoon and it copies it to the other, but they will all be automatically assigned the default formation of the selected route type, meaning that you will still have to individually configure all routes if you need different formations and spacing.

Edited by stormrider_sp

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys. New here too and inclined to jump straight in for the $125 full fat option. Only thing is I got stung when I bought P3d back in the day when they upgraded about a month later and I had to buy the update.... is the next SB due out any time soon cos I’ve seen a few 4.2 vids on YouTube...?

Also I’m into DCS which is frustrating due to the constant breaking and fixing of modules and base game. Does that occur in SB or is it stable?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

• Members

Version 4.2 will be a (free) update, not an upgrade. Your Version 4.1 license will work with it. :)

Since Steel Beasts doesn't have a "base game" with "modules", dependencies that don't exist cannot create problems. That's not to say that we produce flawless code but at least we're not creating THIS kind of problems. You'll get an entirely new set of problems instead. ;)

Welcome Trakcow and Buster.

By far the most effective way to get to grips with this sim is to follow the tutorials that come with the game. As and when you have a basic knowledge of how to operate a vehicle jump online into multiplayer where the very forgiving community will help.  

See ya "Down Range" boys.

5 hours ago, Busker said:

Hey Guys. New here too and inclined to jump straight in for the $125 full fat option. Only thing is I got stung when I bought P3d back in the day when they upgraded about a month later and I had to buy the update.... is the next SB due out any time soon cos I’ve seen a few 4.2 vids on YouTube...?

Also I’m into DCS which is frustrating due to the constant breaking and fixing of modules and base game. Does that occur in SB or is it stable?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

DCS and Arma are on a league of their own. They are victims of their own success. Steel Beasts compared to them has a pretty well managed and talented team. Support is top level. Nothing like DCS where when one feature is introduced you're stuck for 2, 3, 4 weeks with a completely broken game until a team in Bielorussia managed by an englishmen who lives in switzerland decides to fix everything they broke while they are banning and censoring all the criticism they deserved. If anything, the one and only problem (and solution) with Steel Beasts is their reliance on the military contractors who doesn't want anything to change, while we private consumers want a million and one new features. So, in comparison to DCS, it is another world. Things work as they should in Steel Beasts. Mission Editor is pretty logical, easy to use but at the same time, extremely powerful. Jump in a multiplayer session and you'll be welcomed and embraced by this small but friendly and very professional community.

• Members
16 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

If anything, the one and only problem (and solution) with Steel Beasts is their reliance on the military contractors who doesn't want anything to change, while we private consumers want a million and one new features.

Naturally, we have a different take on this. Military customers are, first and foremost, system-centric in their procurement (they bought a vehicle/weapon station/gadget and now they need their simulation of choice to support it - this is a natural limiter on ambition), and the development contracts resulting from this are eating up a considerable fraction of development time. At the same time, the profits from those development contracts (license sales happen far less often, sadly) can be reinvested in feature development to which they agree but which they won't finance.

Like, the new terrain engine. That's something that we wanted, and it comes with a rat tail of implications/changes in other areas which we'Re now addressing one by one.

Like, the improvement in infantry behavior.

Like, the redevelopment of the user interface middleware.

These are all major development fields that eSim Games does on their own initiative without asking anyone for their blessing or whatever. Armies are reluctant to finance completely new features because it could be seen as subsidizing a specific private enterprise, which at least in Europe could be a violation of the common market rules (also, developing new stuff from ground up usually is a money sinkhole - plenty of newspaper headlines illustrate that point - and while the public sector is seemingly notorious about shoveling money into sinkholes the vast majority of projects that never make it into the headlines are actually managed well; "all is well" is a headline that won't attract paying attention, journo school 101).

Steel Beasts has become rather complex over 25 years of development (yes, first prototype was compiled in 1995), that doesn't exactly help adding features - especially not if everything's supposed to work for everybody with new builds while you're working in these new features. You, for example, haven't yet converted all your scenarios and maps but demand that we work faster introducing more new stuff that might break your old content. ;)

So, it is true that if in doubt we err on the side of caution. So that you never get into the situation where you're hesitant to install a Steel Beasts Pro PE version for fear of upsetting the apple cart. New builds of Steel Beasts must work. Old content must be protected - preferably by converting it on the fly, or where that's not possible, by providing tools to let the user convert stuff (see version 4.0 -> 4.1).

• Members

Yes, you can plug it into any other PC.

That being said, traveling with CM sticks is a recipe to lose them, eventually. It's a bit late for reconsideration but I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with time-based licenses in that case. Or, if you have already set up a VPN to your home network you could leave the CM stick on a connected computer there, and draw your license through the VPN.

• 7 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, Trakcow said:

Hello!

I'm looking to get into steel beasts. I have know the simulator for a long time but never purchased it. Because of multiple reasons. But now i want to get a license for a month and try it out!

I do have some questions that i can't really find answers for yet. Maybe someone can answer them for me? Would be much appreciated.

1. Are there any Dutch units in the PE version?

2. Is the map editor included in the PE version?

3. Is this simulator also playable as a high command? I see some videos of people going into a map kind of interface and setting out waypoints, and then switching units. Is this the PE version?

Thanks in advance!

I am also looking for this.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone. Thought I would use this thread since I used it 18 months ago and I’m still a noob (long haul airline pilot who never found the time but now retired🙂).

I’ve just signed up for another 12 month time license and have been brushing up on the wiki etc before diving in. Now I haven’t looked at topo’s that much since Air Force pilot days about 30 years ago but I seem to be having a bit of a ‘moment’...

Looking at this topo on the left I just can’t see how water flows out of the Y junction in the stream at the center of the image. From there it Looks uphill in all directions to me. Please end my confusion (might be confusing stream lines with contours since there is no colour).

I’m assuming (dangerous) that the pic’s show the same terrain from the same direction?

image.jpeg.f33cf06fd9580ac55647a743f4d5bc30.jpeg

Edited by Busker

• Members

It is not uncommon to confuse valleys with hills when looking at tooographical maps with contour lines.

SB allows mission designers to activate a relief shading with light coming from the northeast (NW?) per some mapping standard, but even where this isn't active there's the elevation readout below the coordinate on the right side of the map screen.

And yes, I'm reading the example as you do. The water is flowing to the south, towards the observer.

To me it looks like the right side is only part of the left side as you can clearly see some of the steps in the creek bed and that maybe the middle is the source of the water so it flows out of the wally and since your looking at it from one side you cant see the back of the wally or side wallys

But on the other hand we have seen maps that was edited where the creeks/Rivers flow/depth didn't seem right sometimes because they where manually edited. 

Like Esim says squint harder 😉

MD