Jump to content

Unrelated question


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, BUTANUKI said:

When mission is completed, it sounds to me that Leopard tank commander says "For I say"

I think it's definitely different, but what is he saying?

I have no immediate idea what you might be referring to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BUTANUKI said:

You watch the "Lone Wolf and Cub"!!

Why, yes, gratuitous nudity and violence, as if libertinous 1970s Italian movie director had decided to make sword fight movies rather than Westerns. What's not to love?

Probably just about as historically accurate, but it's a formula that simply works and which has been copied both in concept and detail. "Leon The Professional" with the (very young) Natalie Portman and Jean Reno pretty much directly grafted the concept (or "The Mandalorian" with Baby Yoda), and the fight in "Kill Bill's" House of Blue Leaves is basically an adaptation of the showdown with the assassins at the hot bath in the first "Lone Wolf", down to the spiked iron ball on a chain (except that it was swung by a credible killer in Lone Wolf rather than a psychopathic teenager in school girl uniform).

 

I'm not a fan of the classic Kung Fu formula where there's the old master teaching the kid, loses first fight, crisis, more training, ultimate triumph as the two schools meet for the grand finale. Kung Fu Panda is eminently more watchable (and fun) than most of these. Adding swords to the formula however is like adding loaded revolvers to a circus show, you get a "Western" from it (and in this case it retains the full Japan flavor).

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Why, yes, gratuitous nudity and violence, as if libertinous 1970s Italian movie director had decided to make sword fight movies rather than Westerns. What's not to love?

Probably just about as historically accurate, but it's a formula that simply works and which has been copied both in concept and detail. "Leon The Professional" with the (very young) Natalie Portman and Jean Reno pretty much directly grafted the concept (or "The Mandalorian" with Baby Yoda), and the fight in "Kill Bill's" House of Blue Leaves is basically an adaptation of the showdown with the assassins at the hot bath in the first "Lone Wolf", down to the spiked iron ball on a chain (except that it was swung by a credible killer in Lone Wolf rather than a psychopathic teenager in school girl uniform).

 

I'm not a fan of the classic Kung Fu formula where there's the old master teaching the kid, loses first fight, crisis, more training, ultimate triumph as the two schools meet for the grand finale. Kung Fu Panda is eminently more watchable (and fun) than most of these. Adding swords to the formula however is like adding loaded revolvers to a circus show, you get a "Western" from it (and in this case it retains the full Japan flavor).

I'm sorry if I'm offended.

I am only happy to know that Wolf and Cub is also known abroad.

 

This movie is popular in Japan, but a little esoteric and profound for also Japanese.

I think this movie is popular with expert in movies, not Otaku.

Anyway, you are familiar with movies. Are you a movie related?

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I just like watching movies. Obviously I'm ignorant about the Japanese cultural context of the Lone Wolf movies; I'm just recognizing the parallels of it with later films made elsewhere. And there's more to cinema than the latest Marvel Superhero film... ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BUTANUKI said:

I'm sorry if I'm offended.

I am only happy to know that Wolf and Cub is also known abroad.

 

This movie is popular in Japan, but a little esoteric and profound for also Japanese.

I think this movie is popular with expert in movies, not Otaku.

Anyway, you are familiar with movies. Are you a movie related?

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I have a full collection of Jidai Geki. I love them. As a kenjutsu-kendo student, I love those movies because they always have a message inside, a learning opportunity and, not always, but sometimes, some great realistic kenjutsu techniques and proper kamaes.

 

 

Edited by stormrider_sp
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

I have a full collection of Jidai Geki. I love them. As a kenjutsu-kendo student, I love those movies because they always have a message inside, a learning opportunity and, not always, but sometimes, some great realistic kenjutsu techniques and proper kamaes.

 

 

Are you doing Kendo? I was doing it too. That is for the training of the mind.

It's useless now in Japan.

It's basically forbidden to have a Samurai sword.:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BUTANUKI said:

Are you doing Kendo? I was doing it too. That is for the training of the mind.

It's useless now in Japan.

It's basically forbidden to have a Samurai sword.:)

Kendo is a good start...but I rather stick to own traditions...like this

 

 

 

 

Edited by Grenny
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...